Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How much Tint is enough tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The issue I've encountered so far is that all the good tint guys are at least 45 minutes away, and all of them carry a single brand. Thanks all.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in IL a 5% variance is allowed to allow for the OEM tint plus the aftermarket tint. So there is a bit of leeway.

"NOTE: There is a statutory 5% variance for all tinted windows.
The new law is a NET law."
Old 07-28-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

In some states, they would call an "over" tint a dangerous equipment violation, and tell you to hand over your keys, you were walking home and could pick up the car at the impound. But of course, still not DRIVE it home unless the tint came off first.

(FWIW a patient hot soak with ammonia soaked toweling softens it up to remove.)

I can't blame 'em. When I can't see traffic ahead because some idiot blacked out the windows...that should be classed as a TRUCK, as in, no rear window, no limited access parkway trips, not allowed to impede traffic.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Tint laws are primarily in place to protect the police. They get real nervous if they can't see the occupants as they walk up to the car. Perfectly understandable.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in Philly and just got Premier Photosync 70 on the windshield, and Formula One 40 on the sides and rear. For the front, they cut a box around the stickers so inspection guys can still scrape off the old. The 70 is barely noticeable, but is amazing for its heat rejection. I worried about going darker than the 70 law, but when I drive around, my 40 is lighter than most cars I see. I know, I know: it won't help me if a cop decides to mess with me. I think they are a bit more relaxed about it than one would think.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not just the cops. If the guy behind you can't see through your vehicle? YOU'RE A TRUCK and you are not allowed on parkways and other restricted access roads, because you create a hazard for other drivers.

That's one way most (if not all) states define the difference between truck and car. No rear window? You're a truck, as far as registration is concerned. (Ignoring "combo" and other specialties that don't exist all over.)

Got a pickup truck, made in a truck plant and certified by DOT as only meeting truck (lower than car) safety standards? Great, because if it has a rear window...it still qualifies for registration as a car. That's just the way it is. Doesn't have to be logical.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Not just the cops. If the guy behind you can't see through your vehicle? YOU'RE A TRUCK and you are not allowed on parkways and other restricted access roads, because you create a hazard for other drivers.

That's one way most (if not all) states define the difference between truck and car. No rear window? You're a truck, as far as registration is concerned. (Ignoring "combo" and other specialties that don't exist all over.)

Got a pickup truck, made in a truck plant and certified by DOT as only meeting truck (lower than car) safety standards? Great, because if it has a rear window...it still qualifies for registration as a car. That's just the way it is. Doesn't have to be logical.
Crikey, some people even tint their lights and don't believe that light transmission is affected.

Last edited by DB22; 07-31-2015 at 02:57 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Was passed by a little Chevy with blacked out tail lights and odd DIY headlights several times the other day. His feeble yellow rear turn indicators pretty much summed up that story. One can only hope he gets enlightened [pun intended] on a dark country road one night.

Some folks think ninja's dressed in black purely for fashion.(G)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What's the difference between driving a car that has blacked out rear windows and a 18 wheeler truck and/or Bus? If people are worried about not being able to see in front of the car they are behind, maybe they are a little too close? Just my 2 cents
Old 07-31-2015, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The 18-wheeler is allowed--with extra limits. As an accommodation to the necessity of hauling loads, which would block a rear window anyway. And both are tolerated with extra restrictions and extra burdens places on them.

You'll notice that neither trucks nor busses are allowed on limited access parkways, which are typically the older narrower highways. Not at all in most places.

And even on the Interstates, both are normally banned from the left lane, to reserve it for cars.

Bottom line? Every "transportation" department, every state and federal regulator, thinks there SHOULD be a way to see through the guy in front of you, and how close you are has nothing to do with it. Maybe they're all totally wrong. Or maybe, you just aren't getting it.

As Mr. Vanderbilt did, you can build your own parkway and have your own rules on it.(G)

Quick Reply: How much Tint is enough tint