Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How much Tint is enough tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything higher than 20% i find is too much.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hooray for PA and their "all tint is illegal tint" policy (ok, technically not true, it's all tint darker than 70%)!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kobanna
If you want a super high performance tint that isn't real dark then you can't beat 3m Crystalline CR40. Sometimes I forget how good it is until I am driving a loaner or am in someone else's car. The negative is the price, I paid $600 for my A8, but living where I do, think it was well worth it.
That seems likes a fantastic price. Here in Pittsburgh, there is only one certified 3M installer and he charges $800 for A6. I had my wife's Mercedes SUV done for the two front windows and he charges $300. They had to redo it since there were defects in the film and now after they did it again, the guy became lazy and did a terrible job. So next week they will reinstall again. Aside from the poor install job, the product is pretty good for the price. I had the CR40 done.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Hooray for PA and their "all tint is illegal tint" policy (ok, technically not true, it's all tint darker than 70%)!
I have found in the Pittsburgh area, luxury cars can get away with 40-50% tint for all windows and 70% for the front. But it is difficult to find an installer who will put it anything on the front. You need to sign something that doesn't put the installer into trouble for doing it. I wanted to put Solar gard, but the closest certified installer is 1.5 hours away. Plus he puts on low end solar gard for around $200 with 40% all around and he will do 70% front.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just to clarify how tint percentages are factored, one has to multiply the 90% factory tint by whatever is added afterward. In other words, a 35% tint combined with the 90% Audi tint would be about 32% (90 x 35) or illegal if your state law is 35%. A 40% tint would be 36%, above the limit and legal in that state. It all depends on your state requirements and how/if tints are measured by the police or during a safety inspection.
Yes good thing you clarified. My tint guy uses 40% on the side windows so to comply with the 35% state law. There is no restriction on the back window so he uses straight 20 % there. The 20% on the back helps the side windows to look artificially darker while complying with state laws.

Last edited by dshahs420; 07-21-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Yes good thing you clarified. My tint guy uses 40% on the side windows so to comply with the 35% state law. There is no restriction on the back window so he uses straight 20 % there. The 20% on the back helps the side windows to look artificially darker while complying with state laws.
Here in MA, it's 35% all around so I went with 40% on all windows (except the windshield which is a no-no). As to annually checking for illegal tint, all inspection stations are required to use a light meter but not all do in practice. A MA police officer probably won't stop you to check tint unless it's obviously dark - 20% would likely be noticed.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

An effective tinting of windows is a must in my state. I have found SunTek Carbon to meet my needs.

Front windows: 35%

Rear Side and Back Windows 20%

Visor across the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line 5%.

I cannot stress enough the importance of an effective visor at sunrise and sunset driving towards the sun. Here in Arizona I would not be without one.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2015, 05:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
NY is the same
Old 07-22-2015, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Here in MA, it's 35% all around so I went with 40% on all windows (except the windshield which is a no-no). As to annually checking for illegal tint, all inspection stations are required to use a light meter but not all do in practice. A MA police officer probably won't stop you to check tint unless it's obviously dark - 20% would likely be noticed.
I thought the law in MA allowed you to tint the rear windshield any %.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carbuff
An effective tinting of windows is a must in my state. I have found SunTek Carbon to meet my needs.

Front windows: 35%

Rear Side and Back Windows 20%

Visor across the top of the windshield above the manufacturer's AS-1 line 5%.

I cannot stress enough the importance of an effective visor at sunrise and sunset driving towards the sun. Here in Arizona I would not be without one.
I find Suntek to be perfect. It has the deepest black and protects from the heat just the same as the fancy more expensive ones. Yes on paper the fancier, more expensive tints look better but in real life there is no perceived difference.

Quick Reply: How much Tint is enough tint