Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

How much Tint is enough tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
As an aside, has anyone ever heard of a police officer taking his keys and defacing a tinted window? I haven't. He can measure the light transmission with a meter, issue a warning or write a summons requiring the tint be removed. But I don't believe he has the right to willingly damage someone's property just because he believes a tinted window is too dark.
Well I seriousley doubt they would do it to a middle age guy in an A8, but when I was in high school it was fairly common. I am a huge supporter of the local police, but there isn't a Federal Conscent Decree against them because they are always above board with people's rights. As far as a patrol officer, around here, having a light meter in their unit... Well let's just say they are lucky if the department can afford to get them the unit part, much less a light meter to test window tints at traffic stops.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Check which Suntek you get for $425, that is a good price for the top of the line CXP. My Audi dealer asked $695 for Suntek CXP 35 on front door windows and CXP 18 on the two rear doors and far rear window, so I took it to the same guy who did my Xpel Ultimate wrap who also carries both 3M Crystalline and Suntek CXP and he did a fantastic tint job with the Suntek CXP with everything seamless and zero bubbles or lines. He too agreed that the slightly darker tint and the more dark blackish/brown hue of the CXP looked better with my Florett Silver Metallic '16 A6 than would have the 40% 3M Crystalline all around the sides and back window .. largely due to it being too light for brining out the contrast with the car and the bluish hue issue.

The Suntek CXP is a great film with super clarity and not too dark from the inside looking out .. even the CXP 18 is plenty visible out during night, but has almost as good of heat rejection as Crystalline and Protective Film Solutions did my whole car for $425 with Suntek CXP.

Later I added the 3M Crystalline 70% to the windshield which is a very nice film too and has great heat reduction, but if I had to do it over again I think I would go with Suntek CXP too either 80% or 70% on the windhshield as it would have maintained the same uniform more dark blackish/brown hue rather than the bluish tinge of the Crystalline 70% mixed with the CXP elsewhere. Its all good and works fine, but the Suntek CXP 70 gives 44% heat block compared to 3M Crystalline 70% at 50% heat block which is pretty close as is.

I doubt there is much notable difference there and the CXP is easily as clear as the Crystalline and, if anything, seems subtly sharper, plus the subtle uniformity in hue all around when going with all CXP and the lower cost as well is worth considering. The windshield only with 3M Crystalline was $200.00

Hulamau

Last edited by Hulamau; 07-23-2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an aside, has anyone ever heard of a police officer taking his keys and defacing a tinted window? I haven't. He can measure the light transmission with a meter, issue a warning or write a summons requiring the tint be removed. But I don't believe he has the right to willingly damage someone's property just because he believes a tinted window is too dark.
Some cops can be jerks but they don't do it the first time. If they are a repeat offender the cops would do it just to make sure the tint is definitely removed and cost the offender more money.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
Some cops can be jerks but they don't do it the first time. If they are a repeat offender the cops would do it just to make sure the tint is definitely removed and cost the offender more money.
And you've actually seen first hand a police officer do this or is it urban legend?
Old 07-23-2015, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

And you've actually seen first hand a police officer do this or is it urban legend?
I own a few speed shops and know of a few customers that had this happen to. These were Rhode Island cops though.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

5% all around with 35% on windshield

or if feeling less dark

20% side windows, 5% back windshield, and 50% windshield

Suntek film
Old 07-23-2015, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
I have found in the Pittsburgh area, luxury cars can get away with 40-50% tint for all windows and 70% for the front. But it is difficult to find an installer who will put it anything on the front. You need to sign something that doesn't put the installer into trouble for doing it. I wanted to put Solar gard, but the closest certified installer is 1.5 hours away. Plus he puts on low end solar gard for around $200 with 40% all around and he will do 70% front.
Next time check out these guys

A Plus Quality Window Tint - Professional Residential, Commercial and Automotive Tinting - 412-960-4225 - Bridgeville, PA - 15017

I had Llumar Air Blue 80 installed so no issue with PA law and block 99% of UV rays and 43% heat rejection - and while I ended up not having it installed on the windshield, I did have a quote from them to do so.

Last edited by Maverick61; 07-23-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
Next time check out these guys

A Plus Quality Window Tint - Professional Residential, Commercial and Automotive Tinting - 412-960-4225 - Bridgeville, PA - 15017

I had Llumar Air Blue 80 installed so no issue with PA law and block 99% of UV rays and 43% heat rejection - and while I ended up not having it installed on the windshield, I did have a quote from them to do so.
Do you know if they do a good job?
Old 07-24-2015, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Do you know if they do a good job?
I was happy with the job they did on my A6
Old 07-25-2015, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Maverick61
I was happy with the job they did on my A6
Thanks. Also, if they do the windshield, do they take the inspection stickers off and put them back or do they cut around them?

Separate note, are the police exempt from tinting laws? I saw a police K9 SUV in Moon township with 20% tint on front windows to match the rest of the SUV and seemed like he had at least 50% in windshield as well...

Quick Reply: How much Tint is enough tint