Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

I need an alignment; got a quote for $1200

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DanfZX14. The issue is the dealers in my area don't want to touch the car without doing the mechanical alignment and the sensors alignment. I'm still waiting for AOA to call me back but i'm a bit surprised that nobody outside Audi charges that for an alignment (with dynamic cruise and lane assist, etc.).
Old 05-26-2016, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

If the wheels look WAY out - and based on what you said they might be....you may have ACC sensors out of spec if you correct the alignment. This is an extreme alignment correction....do you ever have "No vision" errors or Braking Guard cut outs?

If so, a wheel alignment / correction could correct this OR make it worse.

It all depends. Was the car ever in an accident?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree. After an accident that included a scraped side of my front bumper, it was removed, repaired, painted and reinstalled. They also did an alignment and recalibration of the CC sensors was not necessary - the ACC has worked fine since. I would find another dealer or if that fails, find an indy that has done Audi alignments. Minor alignment adjustments should not affect the ACC.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No accidents nor have I hit anything, curbs etc... Here's the back story. I bought the car CPO from dealer 1, drove it and noticed a high frequency vibration. Took it in to dealer 2 for balancing(dealer 1 is about 2.5 hours from me, dealer 2 is really close). Got a call back telling me I have a bent rim. Called dealer 1 to take care of it, and they did (came down picked my car up and gave me a loaner). Once ready I opted to go myself to inspect. On the highway I turned ALA on and noticed the car bouncing on the right lane markings... Called dealer 1 and gave them the news. They apologized, and promised to make it right. Dealer 1 spoke to dealer 2 and I was called to bring the car in for the full alignment. Brought it in, alignment done, all within "spec". Tested ALA, felt better.

Fast forward one year and here I am... Tires worn unevenly and being asked to shell $1200 for an alignment... This is both dealer 1 and 2.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audi40
I just ordered DWS 06's from Tire Rack (255/40ZR19), having them shipped direct to the dealer for $940 delivered - dealer quoted $20/ea to mount & balance + $130 for 4-wheel alignment, so should be out the door with the new tires for $1,150.
Let me know what you think of these tires. I am looking for something quieter than the POS P Zero...
Old 05-27-2016, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roace
No accidents nor have I hit anything, curbs etc... Here's the back story. I bought the car CPO from dealer 1, drove it and noticed a high frequency vibration. Took it in to dealer 2 for balancing(dealer 1 is about 2.5 hours from me, dealer 2 is really close). Got a call back telling me I have a bent rim. Called dealer 1 to take care of it, and they did (came down picked my car up and gave me a loaner). Once ready I opted to go myself to inspect. On the highway I turned ALA on and noticed the car bouncing on the right lane markings... Called dealer 1 and gave them the news. They apologized, and promised to make it right. Dealer 1 spoke to dealer 2 and I was called to bring the car in for the full alignment. Brought it in, alignment done, all within "spec". Tested ALA, felt better.

Fast forward one year and here I am... Tires worn unevenly and being asked to shell $1200 for an alignment... This is both dealer 1 and 2.
If ALA seems ok i would opt for just a 4 wheel alignment at a shop I knew & trusted.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by roace
Let me know what you think of these tires. I am looking for something quieter than the POS P Zero...
Lots of positive reviews here on the DWS 06 including mine (do a forum search). While not quite as crisp handling as a good performance summer tire, they will be much quieter, more comfortable riding and longer lasting than the P-Zeros (at least 2X). And can be used safely in temps below 40 degrees and in light snow.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Update on the AOA call; Got a call back three days after making initial call, and was told that they are looking at my case "at the highest level", for whatever it's worth. I also made some calls to other German brands dealers in the area. When asked what they charge for alignments for the same options that my car has, but their respective models, I was quoted the standard $160 to $275 for mechanical alignments and sensor calibration if needed. I find it odd how my local Audi dealers find it reasonable to charge the $1200 for the same type of work... To be honest, after this experience with the dealers, depending on the outcome, this may push me away from the brand.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

To repeat, unless your sensors were hit and moved in some way, a typical alignment will not require an ACC alignment. The difference is too small to make a difference. Here's an idea...get your wheel alignment done by a good indy shop and if your ACC continues to work properly, you'll know it was unnecessary and saved lots of money.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Lots of positive reviews here on the DWS 06 including mine (do a forum search). While not quite as crisp handling as a good performance summer tire, they will be much quieter, more comfortable riding and longer lasting than the P-Zeros (at least 2X). And can be used safely in temps below 40 degrees and in light snow.
Agree completely! Several months in on a new set and very pleased.

Quick Reply: I need an alignment; got a quote for $1200