Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Indy mechanic in Philly

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indy mechanic in Philly

Has anyone found a good Audi indy mechanic in Philly area?

If I understand correctly, something as simple as replacing rear brake pads requires connecting to a computer and telling the calipers to move back. On simpler cars its done with pure manual force, but on Audis with electronic parking brakes one needs a computer cable, software, knowledge, etc. My mechanic is clueless about such things, so I can't even ask him to replace the brake pads on my A6. The dealer wants $380. I can't figure out why so much, since the pads are about $100 and the labor should not be more than an hour (which even at a fancy dealership is around $120). I figure the rest the cost is "gotcha sucker" premium.

In any case, please recommend a knowledgeable indy mechanic in Philadelphia area, who knows how modern Audis work.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2014, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
Has anyone found a good Audi indy mechanic in Philly area?

If I understand correctly, something as simple as replacing rear brake pads requires connecting to a computer and telling the calipers to move back. On simpler cars its done with pure manual force, but on Audis with electronic parking brakes one needs a computer cable, software, knowledge, etc. My mechanic is clueless about such things, so I can't even ask him to replace the brake pads on my A6. The dealer wants $380. I can't figure out why so much, since the pads are about $100 and the labor should not be more than an hour (which even at a fancy dealership is around $120). I figure the rest the cost is "gotcha sucker" premium.

In any case, please recommend a knowledgeable indy mechanic in Philadelphia area, who knows how modern Audis work.

Thanks
Actually a set of rear break pads cost $90 a pair MSRP for $180 for a both sides. The on line price I found is $70.20 a pair or $140.40 for both sides. I would agree that $380 is a bit high, even for a dealer. This is one reason why I bought VAG-COM cable/SW from Ross Tech so that I and do this kind of stuff plus much more without involving the dealer. It has more that paid for itself since I bought it.