Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Inexpensive Intercooler Improvement Experiment DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

That linked graphic shows it's from an S4 version of the 3.0T engine. Could the intercooler be different from an A6 3.0T setup?
Old 12-12-2015, 07:40 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That linked graphic shows it's from an S4 version of the 3.0T engine. Could the intercooler be different from an A6 3.0T setup?
S4 has the small one, so does the SQ5
Old 12-12-2015, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

LOL, I can't catch a break. Now I've found this diagram with small intercooler radiator like what's on my car. Item 41. As you can see from the small size, that's why i'm adding a second one of roughly similar size right above it.

Just received an adapter fitting to thread a temperature sensor gauge into outlet so I can start measuring water temp before vs after the mod.

Edit:
Updated graphic to what I believe the water flow is. Not yet sure.
Oh.. also confirmed at dealer today, that the smaller intercooler radiator shown below is correct for my 2012. Didn't bother researching if any cars got the larger one. Don't feel I need to at this point.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-30-2016 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Updated graphic
Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Intercooler temperature testing begins...

Finished plumbing in temperature sensor today. Not sure just yet if I have correct flow of heated and cooled waterflow just yet. But the intercooler pump clearly indicates Flow direction on it, so i know the intercooler fluid gets pumped-in through top and pumped-out to the side per diagram in above post. Also not sure if I plumbed the sensor at optimal point yet but eh... as the thread states. It's an experiment.

The day is rainy... temps in 50's, pic 1

Started car to run errand. It had cooled down 1.5Hrs from last driving it. Since car sat with no air over intercooler the fluid remained warm. Pic 2

Went to nearby corner convenience store 4 blocks away, about 4 minute run time. Engine temp began to rise as it warmed up, intercooler fluid temp began to drop. Pic 3

Drove to Auto Parts store next, full 15 minutes on city streets. Engine coolant temp had reached it's normal operating temp, intercooler fluid temp dropped further. Pic 4

Sensor inserted into adapter that was spliced at location shown in pic 5

I'll be logging temps over next week or two on stock intercooler setup before I connect the auxiliary (extra) intercooler radiator that is already mounted, just not plumbed in yet.

Attached Images      

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 12-19-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm just wondering if you can give us a more recent update on your before and after temp readings. Do you think this upgrade proved worthwhile. It might be a mod that I would consider performing on my car in the future.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by engleg
I'm just wondering if you can give us a more recent update on your before and after temp readings. Do you think this upgrade proved worthwhile. It might be a mod that I would consider performing on my car in the future.
Yeah sorry been busy with other mods and hit a small hiccup on the intercooler mod... but here's the update.
I wasn't getting good results trying to log temps with just one sensor. Temperatures varied day-to-day and I kept forgetting to log temps at the waypoints I designated for daily readings. It became clear that I need a better scientific method approach. So I needed a second sensor to measure pre and aft intercooler temps for both stock setup and modified setup. Once some money became available... I placed the order for new toys

Just so happens that today I finally received the toys I needed to set this up. Super excited... but have to wait until weekend to get this all installed.

My first Aeroforce gauge scans certain OBD2 parameters. This second gauge will log the Intercooler temps so I don't loose my OBD2 readings. Although the gauge can cycle various parameters... since I'm testing /experimenting I want constant view of intercooler temps but don't want to sacrifice my other readings right now.

Also ordered an extra temp sensor to measure IAT temps at various locations based on custom airbox designs and OBD2 splitter to keep gauge plugged in while leaving another OBD port avialable for vagcom mods.
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-25-2016 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Update

I've updated image diagram on post#23 to show where I've added the other sensor. Now I can correctly assess whether this mod will be helpful or not. Regardless of result... I did have fun building this setup.

Now I can finally check patterns of current cooling drops. Will observe stock setup for a week and then plumb-in the second intercooler heat exchanger to see what difference that makes. Now that I've seen how efficient the existing tiny exchanger is at getting temps down to almost ambient temp.. I don't think there will be much more temp drop after the second heat exchanger is installed. Outside airflow across second heat exchanger won't get fluid to drop much below ambient air.

Pic 1 shows second sensor installed to now also measure fluid temp at hottest point when it leaves the supercharger. The other sensor measures temp after intercooler fluid has been cooled.

Pic 2. I've setup the Analogic gauge that reads analog sensor input in vent location for now. I' will be moving my OBD2 Scan gauge either just above analogic gauge or on right side of steerign wheel. Final location still to be determined.

Pic 3. Oops. First day found out I didn't have properly grounded gauge, so my readings were off. I fixed next day. Now I see the hottest temps from heat exchangers at supercharger at normal driving seem to be around 80-ish degrees, with temp drops of 10-20 degrees after intercooler radiator below.
Attached Images    

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 02-02-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Many wires had to be run out to engine compartment for the sensors.

Just to reiterate my stand.. I really hate wiring.
Can you say... oh oh... spaghettios! LOL

But realistically... this mess is for more components as well... including rear view mirror digital screen displays, aftermarket TPMS sensor view in rearview mirror, DVR surveillance system, Aeroforce analogic gauge, etc etc...
Attached Images  

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 01-30-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably easier to to get an ECU flash so the ECU doesn't bleed off boost above 4K. I'm guessing the stock setup doesn't get maxed out even with the flash. Good experimenting though.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Probably easier to to get an ECU flash so the ECU doesn't bleed off boost above 4K. I'm guessing the stock setup doesn't get maxed out even with the flash. Good experimenting though.
Thanks. This thread is about looking at the supercharger intercooler specifically. Good ole fashioned wrenching anyone can do. Not about ECUs or Horsepower. But I can see I should have probably explained this better so I understand your reply. Also (if this proves successful) to provide easy DIY approach for anybody that likes moding themselves and personalizing their car. Tons of various size/shape auxiliary coolers available out there.

This experiment is to see where the intercooler temperatures are on the Audi 3.0 TFSI, and to see if there can be any improvement at all by increasing size or adding additional intercooler heat exchangers. Either or both lower water temps OR reduced time to heat soak are both desirable results sought.

I was miffed to see the engine coolant and supercharger coolant use the same system with shared fill. Maybe the radiator is designed to keep these two flows separated with only the shared fill tube? Not sure. Regardess...

I've seen kits out there that provide larger cores so I wanted to see if these really cold make a difference... or just wasted money.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive Intercooler Improvement Experiment DIY