Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Instrument cluster lens swirls

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the dealers doing it, not a problem with the material.
If you order a new car, tell them not to touch it, just unload it from the truck and deliver it that way.

It can also be polished.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryballz
It's the dealers doing it, not a problem with the material.
If you order a new car, tell them not to touch it, just unload it from the truck and deliver it that way.

It can also be polished.
Sorry, not true. My dealer of 12 years knows not to wash or clean my car and never has - I'm the only one who does it. Also, I have used several recommended plastic cleaner/polishers, i.e. Plexus ans Plast-X with the recommended microfiber pad and cloths and they do not remove the swirls, they just clean and shine the surface. I am of the school along with Irenesbob that the swirls are not scratches but impurities imbedded in the plastic itself that appear when the sun reflects from it at a certain angle.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Hmm. Both of mine have those very robust 200 psi spring loaded "grippers".
Same for me
Old 04-30-2015, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Same for me
I should have written: very robust, 200 psi, syrofoam cup puncturing "grippers".
Old 04-30-2015, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what irritates me more than the plastic instrument panel cover is the way my driver side door window looks when the sun hits the shade coating. Just a lot of small shaded circles
I'm sure the other door windows look the same, I just haven't payed attention to them.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I chuckled at that, snagit. I see quite a difference in my “issue” and your “pretend issue”. I am actually pretty basic in what I look for in a car. I could live without power windows, power seats, leather seats and so many more things. I never use my sunroof (twice to show friends). A ton of the things my car has on it have never been used or accessed. To me simple is best, but whatever is there better work and be free of defects. To me this is really a defect. I could live with half the info that appears on the A6’s various instruments, but I can’t live with the cover (that should be clear and smooth in all situations) looking crappy. Yes, I am I guess ****, etc., but I see this kind of failure (like leather that cracks) as different from the features, etc. that a vehicle may or may not have. When I buy a car I can see that the left cupholder is too small but then I can decide “upfront” that it is OK and get the car anyway. When I looked into the 2013 A6 (after having three previous Audi’s from 2005 to 2012, all with glass cluster lenses that always looked 100%) I was not thinking the newer, better 2013 could have such an issue, but now I know and I have to decide what to do when the lease is up. I am seriously struggling with this and would love to get another A6, but every time I have to drive the thing looking at this kind of clouded, swirly looking cluster and having the date and miles readings unreadable because of all the swirly, scratched looking stuff, I just may give my 10+ year Audi streak a break and give another brand a chance to let me down.
Serious question, why didn't you buy a Passat if you want simpler?
Old 05-01-2015, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
The issue is not that they're different sizes, but that the left one doesn't have the little grippers. It's useless if you don't have the exact bottle/mug that it was designed to hold.

There's two scenarios that could have played out on this one. First, the left cupholder was designed for the favorite coffee mug of the lead designer. Second, they decided that the best size cupholder they could have made was the right one, realized they couldn't fit two, and then rather than redesign the console to be slightly wider or be bold and only fit one, they added a second smaller one without grippers because they take too much room.

I'm betting on number two, but it strikes me as a little half-assed for the Germans...
That is odd no spring on the left, I haven't received my A6 yet Jason, another month before it arrives, but both our 2012 and 2015 A4s have very snug spring clips within each of its dual sized cup holders, and on yet a narrower center console than the A/S6 , so the reason may be back to 'exhibit A' in your thesis of causality.

In any event, I long ago adapted to the issue and instinctively now slide the narrow bottles into the right hole and the 32 ounce 'No Dairy Berry' with whey protein smoothies I tend to get when at our local Whole Foods go smoothly right into the big hole without looking or thinking about it. So Audi has this Pavlovian dog well trained by now .

Will let you know if my '16 A6 3.0T has spring clips in both holders ... If so, Audi may owe you a recall.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Germans buy Audi's to drive while Americans drive Audi's to drink. The whole concept of drink holders in cars was an idea that was verging on absurd to the Japanese and the Germans. The Japanese would not eat or drink in a car because of the manners and mess potential. The Germans drive OR eat. Americans drive, eat, put on make-up, shave, make phone calls, text and talk to the person next to them while having to look at them.
Only in America is the vajayjay at risk of getting burnt by McDonalds or being cut by Gillette.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I should have written: very robust, 200 psi, syrofoam cup puncturing "grippers".
http://imgur.com/CHNNnvC

The right has the grippers but I wouldn't call them "cup-puncturing."

Last edited by jasonlitka; 05-01-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
Serious question, why didn't you buy a Passat if you want simpler?
I said I could live with a simpler car if I had to, not that I want a stripper. I do enjoy the Audi's design, prestige (snob appeal?), materials and general sense of refinement, not to mention the 8 speed Tip and now in 2016 the much higher HP 2.0 engine that a Pasat does not have. Every few years when my lease is up I do a lot of waffling and going back and forth between potential "next cars" from a Subaru Impreza to an Audi A7 (and many more in between) before deciding, but recently the tip has gone to Audi, since the basic machines are incredible IMO. This go round it is a more difficult decision because I am considering getting a 2016 Miata next spring, so the replacement for my 2013 A6 would be basically a "winter" car, whereas in the past the Audi's have been "the only car."

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster lens swirls