Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truphone

Originally Posted by kaorisdad
My data plan recently expired and I have Verizon phones. I'd like to keep Google Maps, Online Destinations working, but don't care about wireless hotspots, gas prices and most other Internet features. I have a couple of questions for you:

Can I turn off features that I don't need (like wireless hotspots)?

How much data will I use using Google Maps/Online Destinations? (I know it depends on how much I leave it on, but if it is $3 per month even, I'm ok with that.)

If I purchase a TruPhone SIM/plan, all I do is sign up, get the SIM and replace the T-Mobile SIM that came with the car?

Lastly, can I "load-as-you-go"? In other words, can I load my plan with say $10 each month and my SIM stops working after that?

Thanks in advance!
There are lots of threads on how to set up the truphone SIM and it really is just as simple as swapping the SIM card and putting truphone.com in the APN under settings. Here is a link to a forum on here (post 339 page 34) that tells you how to do it:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...818216/page34/

The SIM costs $30 and includes $15 in data. Others in the thread have used much more data than myself but I have used barely any. If your commute is lengthy and you plan to use google maps, your usage might be higher but the other features barely use any data in my experience. And yes, truphone is load as you go and I assume (though I cannot confirm this) once you run out of data it will stop working until you load more money onto your account.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone - I just ordered a TruPhone SIM. I can load-as-I-go. The SIM costs $30, but includes a $15 credit for data @ $0.09/MB. When the balance is used up, it stops working. One minor thing is it must be used at least once every 90-days or they shut down service, but it sounds like the solution I have been looking for.

Thanks again.

UPDATE: After inserting my TruPhone SIM, here is some info on my data usage: The hard drive allocates 2.5GB storage to cache Google maps. Leaving my Google maps on for about 3 hours total, it used about 100MB. Until that 2.5GB is filled, it is going to use alot of data. In short, I turned Google maps off or I would burn through my Truphone data allocation in a few days. This isn't quite what I was hoping for.

Last edited by kaorisdad; 12-22-2014 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Anyone successful in getting ATT mobile share to work? $10/mo adds 4G to your mobile share plan which would work for me.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/co...id=x1l0lpFavgx
Old 12-18-2014, 04:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by yenner1
Anyone successful in getting ATT mobile share to work? $10/mo adds 4G to your mobile share plan which would work for me.

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/co...id=x1l0lpFavgx
Working on it now. Audi was giving me the runaround about trying to get a sim card from them. They claim it only works in the MY2015 A3 and Q7. Called AT&T directly, gave them the IME number and they are shipping me the SIM card which should be here tomorrow. I know it won't be 4g but it should fall back to 3g which is fine with me. Will update this thread once installed.

UPDATE!

Just went to my local AT&T and picked up my SIM. Added to my Family Share plan for $10 a month. Pulled the T-Mo card and installed the AT&T card. On the way home in about 5 minutes tops it configured itself, 3G lit up with full bars. AT&T is stronger in my area also. In the data settings it configured itself as "Broadband" with no other settings. Did a full runthrough i.e. Audi Connect, Google search etc. and all works flawlessly. Very pleased and am glad I explored other otions other than forking over $450 for T-mo service. If you have an AT&T familyshare plan or any share plan, this is the way to go hands down!

Last edited by BigDawg; 12-19-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blackadder14
For anyone considering using an AT&T SIM, remember that you will only get 2G _and_ AT&T is gradually sunsetting 2G capability (see Customer migration 'going fine' as AT&T prepares for 2G network shutdown by year-end 2016 - FierceWireless.
Not true.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...works-2876272/
Old 01-09-2015, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am going to try the truphone SIM card, but what size should I get? Regular or micro sim? And is truphone the cheapest pay per use option right now at 9 cents/MB? Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
wuk
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

micro, and i believe it is the cheapest. I use it and so far no issues. I think the only issue is you need to use it every once in a while so they don't lock out your account.

Originally Posted by jonathantam
I am going to try the truphone SIM card, but what size should I get? Regular or micro sim? And is truphone the cheapest pay per use option right now at 9 cents/MB? Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its a regular size SIM and unless you have an AT&T plan that is a cheap alternative.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply but I am confused. Is it regular or micro sim? Mine is the 2012 A6. Thanks
Old 01-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the reply but I am confused. Is it regular or micro sim? Mine is the 2012 A6. Thanks
My 2014 A6 uses a regular SIM. I would assume yours is the same.

Quick Reply: Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?