Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Interest in cheaper alternative to Audi Connect?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched over to the pTEL SIM card, and while Google Earth works no problem, I can't use the Google Voice/Online Destinations any more.

Anyone have some thoughts??
Old 01-25-2015, 06:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDawg
Its a regular size SIM and unless you have an AT&T plan that is a cheap alternative.
I activated my truphone SIM card and it was connected to t-mobile the first couple days and I was getting 3G signal. But recently it switched to AT&T and I am only getting 2G signal. I called truphone and they said nothing wrong with my SIM card. They asked me to manually choose between t-mobile and AT&T in MMI, but I don't think the system let me to do so. Anyone got the same problem? Can someone help? Thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jonathantam
I activated my truphone SIM card and it was connected to t-mobile the first couple days and I was getting 3G signal. But recently it switched to AT&T and I am only getting 2G signal. I called truphone and they said nothing wrong with my SIM card. They asked me to manually choose between t-mobile and AT&T in MMI, but I don't think the system let me to do so. Anyone got the same problem? Can someone help? Thanks
That happens even with t-mobile SIM. You can turn off data roaming from the MMI, however, if you travel to area where t-mobile signal is weak (outside most metro area ), you will loss data connection all together.

If you are in an area with strong t-mobile signal and stuck on ATT 2G, pop the SIM out and pop it back in should reset the connection back to t-mobile.

hth.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Update

After being told by Audi that we could not replace the T Mobile SIM in our 2015 A6 with an AT&T card we went to the AT&T store. The guy at the store called his number for Audi Connect and got a similar story. I got him to read this forum and he agreed to try it. We popped the card in and everything worked immediately. We added this device to our family plan for $10/month. We now get a decent connection when driving from Daytona to Atlanta as opposed to the awful connection we got with T Mobile. I don't understand Audi's motive behind giving out false information, but with a little persistence you can make the switch and save money to boot.

One bit of advice. The AT&T rep had to use a dummy IMEI to register the SIM in his system. The one the came up on the MMI would not allow him to proceed. The dummy number was apparently something that they have to do frequently.