Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Intermittent Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Interesting. Hard to imagine how a wireless setting on a phone could be interfering with the car's cel reception. My iPhone has always had the wireless activated when in the car but the intermittent AC has only started recently.
I have a replacement US Mobile sim on the way and am hoping that's the problem.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by SSA6
I "learned" / found something interesting when trying to get my AC with US Mobile to work. My myAudi site is functioning properly and the PIN is inputted into my 2012 A6 Prestige (MMI ver 715). I can send destinations to my car too from Google Maps.

On my Samsung S4 when I have the "wireless" turned on I cannot connect to AudiConnect in the car. The car tries but AC never opens on the MMI screen.

If I turn off my S4 wireless then AC opens without a hitch -weather, news, etc and even destinations from my myAudi account are received and can be opened.

It also doesn't matter if I'm using the standard or Google maps setting (having the Google icon in the lower right side of the map display.)

So for me I need to keep my S4 cell phone's wireless setting OFF and then AC functions perfectly. Maybe the cell phone's wireless causes a conflict? Weird huh? Something to try for others with intermittent issues.
Do you have the MMI Connect app and is your phone connected to the car's wifi network?
Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have the MMI Connect App on my Samsung S4 phone. I too always have my wireless active - and the phone has always been connected to the A6's wireless network. So for now I'll have to remember to shut the S4's wireless off if I need to see something with the AudiConnect.

At times I would shut off the S4's' wireless because the phone would annoyingly update its apps when in the car -using the Audi's wireless network instead of the Verizon cell network. This would sometimes quickly cause me to run out of data on US Mobile. I could monitor this in the data connection/usage settings in the MMI.

I agree with all - very odd but a workable solution for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

So you are using the car's wifi to make the phone a client. That would explain it.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for explaining it in those terms. I guess I can prevent making my phone a client by changing the MMI setting to ask for a data connection rather than automatically make a data connection. Thanks again for the dialogue.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for explaining it in those terms. I guess I can prevent making my phone a client by changing the MMI setting to ask for a data connection rather than automatically make a data connection. Thanks again for the dialogue.
I'm not sure just changing the "ask for a connection" setting will do what you want as the in car wifi might still override the AC connection when it asks and you select "yes". I think the best way to avoid the issue is to simply disable the in-car wifi in the MMI until you need it.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

I don't have the MMI Connect App on my Samsung S4 phone. I too always have my wireless active - and the phone has always been connected to the A6's wireless network. So for now I'll have to remember to shut the S4's wireless off if I need to see something with the AudiConnect.

At times I would shut off the S4's' wireless because the phone would annoyingly update its apps when in the car -using the Audi's wireless network instead of the Verizon cell network. This would sometimes quickly cause me to run out of data on US Mobile. I could monitor this in the data connection/usage settings in the MMI.

I agree with all - very odd but a workable solution for me.
Just curious why do you connect your phone to the car's wifi network in the first place? There are some use cases for it in conjunction with the MMI Connect app, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it. The phone won't recognize that it is on a metered connection and starts doing bandwidth intensive tasks, such as downloading apps etc. as you discovered.

If you do still want it to be connected to the car's Wifi, then you should tell your phone that this particular Wifi network is a metered network. Both Android and Windows support this, not iOS unfortunately.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-03-2016 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't intentionally connect the phone to the A6 wifi. I always have my phone's wifi turned on to take advantage of my wifi at home and free hot spots as I roam so I use less cell plan data (Verizon). Unless I remember to turn the cell phone's wifi off, it will automatically connect to the A6 and use US Mobile data. I'm now more aware and try to turn the phone's wifi off when I know I'm driving to avoid the issue (have the phone connect to the car and use US Mobile data) and have the Audi Connect work so I can send maps to the car from my pc and do other AC connect stuff.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't you have a setting in the MMI to turn off in car wifi? If so, the phone cannot connect to US Mobile even if its wifi is turned on.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, but I find it easier (a simple finger swipe on my phone to shut off it's wifi) to just turn the phone's wifi off each time rather than several MMI dial turns and clicks and to turn off / turn back on the MMI wifi.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Audi Connect