Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Intermittent Audi Connect

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Raiden256
@snagitseven: Is your feeling that the resolution (thus far) is more related to the new SIM or the settings reset? I haven't tried either yet, but wondering if I need to get US Mobile to send me a new SIM. Did that cost you anything? Love the $4 plan...

Obviously going to try the reset in the morning, but just wondering your thoughts on it.
I'm pretty sure, assuming it keeps working, that it was the MMI phone reset. The new card didn't seem to make any difference in connection consistency but the reset has connected several times so far without a hitch so far. You should try the MMI phone default reset first before asking for a new card (which was free btw). If you do ask for a new sim, you will need to call US Mobile to transfer the assigned tel number to the new card after it arrives.

Be sure to reenter the correct US Mobile connection settings after the phone reset as it will change it back to mtm-t-mobile:
APN: pwg
User: a single blank space
PW: leave blank
Old 10-20-2016, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started having the same problem from the first week of October, getting only intermittent and sporadic access.

When the Audi Connect access stops working, the wifi connection tethering for internet still let's me browse on my cell phone, so it can't be the US Mobile network or it's LTE the culprit.

I suspect it's Audi's server for Audi Connect may somehow be the reason, possibly in conjunction with not always allowing a T-mobile or ATT connection to go through?

It's very very annoying and painful to lack reliability this way - if anyone has seen a problem with ATT or Tmobile connections, please do report.
Old 10-20-2016, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm still getting the intermittent connection issue. I'm entertaining the same possibility. It's as if when the AC traffic to their servers gets busy to a point, they favor their own plans and throttle access to third party providers. No evidence yet but it's a reasonable guess (despite their denials).

I haven't had a chance to get to my dealer to try one of their demo sim cards but hope to next week.

Last edited by snagitseven; 10-20-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to chime in on this too.. I own a 2016 A6 and like others I've had intermittent issues with Audi Connect for the past month.

The car came with AT&T but for personal service I have T-Mobile and had an extra data SIM lying around so I popped it in my car and all was working well till this month. That when traffic wasn't showing and Google Voice Search Stopped. I still had the AT&T SIM so I popped it back in and everything mostly started working again.. 85 percent of the time. Sometimes the traffic wouldn't load but Google Search would. I occasionally put back the T-Mobile SIM and it worked maybe 15 percent of the time..

Unless Audi is blocking certain APN's it's their servers or maybe a combo of both..

Hopefully (at least for me) they are working on Android Auto/Apple Car Play update.. I think when I bought the Car Audi Connect said 6 updates were free and they didn't determine the price after.. Right now 2/6 have been used.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snagit, it's been awhile since I post anything here. Did you figure out regarding intermittent audi connect? Here is my observation..

I have a 2013 A6 in Seattle area. I knew about the Tmobile tower upgrade but it doesn't bother me for what I use on MMI. Since my 6 month trial expired in 2013, I have been using Truphone sim card without any issue. $15 credit and still have $6 left on the sim so you know how little I used data. I don't use google map and the only function I used is to send address to car. With downgrade to 2G, for what I use, is not an issue at all. I can send address to car via Audi Connect iOS app only on wifi connection at home. If I am on LTE (I have t mobile unlimited plan), the address cannot be sent. However, if I turned on my VPN, the address can be send to car without any issue. Not sure if this has to do with an 'inactive' audi connect account.

As of Jan 1st, Truphone stopped working. It said the samething as Snagit observed.... no data connection! Though the 2G logo is still there trying to connect. I contacted Truphone customer service and was told that as of Dec 31, 2016, their service agreement with ATT is only limited to 3G or above! Ouch! Without a new updated hardware in A6, I don't have any data service.

I tried putting in a extra t-mobile sim card (part of my family plan), tried with both APN: epc.t-mobile.com & fast.t-mobile.com. Car actually shows 3G connection and tries to connect. Couple times I got through but not consistent.

Placed a call to my dealership about updating the modem. Car is now out of warranty and I do not have active Audi Connect (ever had.)... things are not looking favorable.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Even out of warranty, others have reported that their dealers have updated their moedems at no charge in those areas where T-Mo has switched bands. A requirement however, is you must have an active Audi Connect T-Mo acct - other providers will not work as a requirement including a standard T-Mo sim (which prob wouldn't connect anyway). You must also be the original owner. You can even just buy a month of AC for $30 so long as it's active.

I gave up on US Mobile/T-Mo and switched back to a year of AC T-Mo. In March when T-Mo switches bands, my dealer will update my modem even though my A6 is out of warranty.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I didn't see Freedompop mentioned...I am using their sim and I mostly connect at 2g but every once in a while I hit a 3g signal.

I did the $0.99 deal with 1st month free and downgraded to the totally free plan...200Mb per month so with modest use it works for me.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

3G is slow enough. I couldn't live with 2G - I'd be where I'm going before online destination would return a POI search.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've been having the same connectivity issue for a while and have a US Mobile SIM. I'm going to try the MMI phone reset later today, but I'm curious about comments regarding modem issues and T-Mobile band switching. Is something happening that will render my US Mobile SIM useless?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by tutone
I've been having the same connectivity issue for a while and have a US Mobile SIM. I'm going to try the MMI phone reset later today, but I'm curious about comments regarding modem issues and T-Mobile band switching. Is something happening that will render my US Mobile SIM useless?
If you followed the thread, US Mobile is already mostly useless. Something changed in Jan that made it virtually impossible to connect consistently. I have already tried all the MMI resets and there was no change. Freedompop might be a better option for those that want an alternative to an Audi Connect/T-Mo account.

T-Mo is upgrading their 3G bands across the country and those with MY2012-13 will have to upgrade their modems to continue to have 3G service. MY2014 already has the newer modem so you are not affected.