Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ISO: Cleaning Tip - Area around rear license plate on trunk lid

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ISO: Cleaning Tip - Area around rear license plate on trunk lid

Where ever the original owner got his car washed, for some reason, it seems that the area to the left and right of the rear license plate, just below the trunk lid lip (below the camera, plate lights, lid release) never really got cleaned. There seems to be a film for about four inches wide all the way across the that area. A little elbow grease is not doing the job. Below that area all the way to the bottom of the lid is clear and glossy.

What have others used that won't affect the clear coat. Honestly, with all the cars I own or have owned, I have actually never experienced this.

Thanks.
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were mine, I'd start with a clay bar and lubricant and then a light polish (I use Griot's and Wolfgang) and work up if needed. You probably won't get a buffer in there so start light with circular motions with a hand pad. Clean off with microfiber and you'll need to replace the wax or final coating of your choice because the polish will take that too. Your clear coat should be fine but a good rule is to go as least aggressive as gets the job done.

Shouldn't be a big issue and let us know how it goes.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pat clark
If it were mine, I'd start with a clay bar and lubricant and then a light polish (I use Griot's and Wolfgang) and work up if needed. You probably won't get a buffer in there so start light with circular motions with a hand pad. Clean off with microfiber and you'll need to replace the wax or final coating of your choice because the polish will take that too. Your clear coat should be fine but a good rule is to go as least aggressive as gets the job done.

Shouldn't be a big issue and let us know how it goes.
Thanks. Might be able to get to this on Saturday. I will report back with Before/After photos too.
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd use either a polishing agent, of some very fine compound. That should take care of it.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nakedhoof
I'd use either a polishing agent, of some very fine compound. That should take care of it.
Yeah... I should have stated that a polishing agent didn't do the trick. That was my first attempt. I am really leary of compounds on clear coat finishes. I know that modern compounding agents have come a long way over the years. For a few bucks, I am going to give Claying a shot since I know that I can also use it safely on other vehicles for other reasons.

I'll start looking into compounding agents for "Plan B."

AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by oldAGE
Where ever the original owner got his car washed, for some reason, it seems that the area to the left and right of the rear license plate, just below the trunk lid lip (below the camera, plate lights, lid release) never really got cleaned.
My guess is that the original owner used a car wash exclusively and possibly just drove off after cleaning. During the winter months I use a couple of different automatic car washes (water jets only - no cloths) and notice that the area you mention often is not as clean or rinsed as the other parts of the car, especially in the upper corners near the trunk lid above the license plate. Any soap residue left there becomes a magnet for more dirt and grime. Yet another reason for wiping down after a washing. I wouldn't be surprised if the door jambs were also grimier from the original owner.
Old 02-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oops. It's on there. Wolfgang uber compound is one of the newer ones that cuts nicely and the abrasives diminish as you use it. If you need to get that aggressive, don't forget to hit it with a fine polish at the end before protective coat. WG has a finishing glaze that I like. Everyone has their favorites and pick a higher end product, imop. Autogeek is where I do plenty of shopping. You'll get there.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oldAGE
I'll start looking into compounding agents for "Plan B."
Try some "Soft Scrub". I've been using it for over a decade on my white cars.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Try some "Soft Scrub". I've been using it for over a decade on my white cars.
No kidding. Woulda never guessed!
Old 02-15-2017, 05:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Probably should be the uber soft scrub, right? May be the same stuff for all I know. I'd try it!!!

Quick Reply: ISO: Cleaning Tip - Area around rear license plate on trunk lid