Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Issues I have after 1 year of ownership

Old 03-21-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues I have after 1 year of ownership

Hi guys,

Just want to share the issues I have with my 2013 A6. I am wondering if this also happen to you guys? I'd like to take my car to dealer again and had these issues being addressed before 1 year :P

1. Rattling noise coming from steering column on rough roads (highways).
Took the car to dealer multiple times and never got it fixed.
I kind of give up already, should I fight for it?
2. Rattling noise coming from the sunroof (probably the sliding sunshade cover)
3. Metal squeezing high pitch noise when I apply the brake at low speed (15mph -> 3mph). (I had this problem since they swap the front and rear tires when I was having the 5k service).
Took my car to the dealer 3 times. First time, they performed a "BRAKE MODIFICATION" at rear brakes, which I believe meaning they shaved/resurfaced the braking pad a bit. And applied lub on it. It didn't fix the issue. Second time they said sounds are coming actually coming from the front, so they performed another brake modification at front brakes. Issues still persist. Third time I I couldn't repro the issue during test drive, so they didn't do anything..But it still happens everyday.

4. I am not sure if this is an issue, but I noticed this recently that my steering wheel doesn't return to the center recently.
Say I do a 90 degree rotation to the left, it probably comes back with 2~4 degree off center. Is this expected? I feel the steering wheel is loose in some way...

Off topic question for US owner.
Has anyone tried at&t's new mobile share plan with their 2012-14 A6? I am considering if I should switch to that plan and get a SIM card for my A6....It's just extremely slow for me to input the address for navigation.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same brake issue for awhile now, I mention to the dealer EVERYTIME i go in for service, and they claim to look into it and clean it and its good but the problem was never solve and after 2 years of owning the car i just gave up on it, hopefully some aftermarket pads will fix the problem.

the rattles, happens to every car

Originally Posted by sunnyp1227
Hi guys,

Just want to share the issues I have with my 2013 A6. I am wondering if this also happen to you guys? I'd like to take my car to dealer again and had these issues being addressed before 1 year :P

1. Rattling noise coming from steering column on rough roads (highways).
Took the car to dealer multiple times and never got it fixed.
I kind of give up already, should I fight for it?
2. Rattling noise coming from the sunroof (probably the sliding sunshade cover)
3. Metal squeezing high pitch noise when I apply the brake at low speed (15mph -> 3mph). (I had this problem since they swap the front and rear tires when I was having the 5k service).
Took my car to the dealer 3 times. First time, they performed a "BRAKE MODIFICATION" at rear brakes, which I believe meaning they shaved/resurfaced the braking pad a bit. And applied lub on it. It didn't fix the issue. Second time they said sounds are coming actually coming from the front, so they performed another brake modification at front brakes. Issues still persist. Third time I I couldn't repro the issue during test drive, so they didn't do anything..But it still happens everyday.

4. I am not sure if this is an issue, but I noticed this recently that my steering wheel doesn't return to the center recently.
Say I do a 90 degree rotation to the left, it probably comes back with 2~4 degree off center. Is this expected? I feel the steering wheel is loose in some way...

Off topic question for US owner.
Has anyone tried at&t's new mobile share plan with their 2012-14 A6? I am considering if I should switch to that plan and get a SIM card for my A6....It's just extremely slow for me to input the address for navigation.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRAMAZING
I have the same brake issue for awhile now, I mention to the dealer EVERYTIME i go in for service, and they claim to look into it and clean it and its good but the problem was never solve and after 2 years of owning the car i just gave up on it, hopefully some aftermarket pads will fix the problem.

the rattles, happens to every car
OMG...That's sad to know. I feel really bad for the pedestrians when I was stopping and that noise come out...It's really loud and high pitch. Do you think it's just the braking pad issue? I just hope it doesn't so any physical damage to whatever parts...

I hate the rattles too, it just feels like the build quality is off....
Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

yup the noise is super sharp and I'm very embarrass of the sound coming from a high end car.

I really don't know what the cause for this is, I'm guessing it's the pads
Old 03-21-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Literally all my German cars have made that noise. That includes a BMW ActiveHybrid 3, 2011 A4, and 2013 A6.

The brake material in these cars are optimized for fade-free braking action. As a result, they can squeal with just the tiniest bit of surface dust or rust.

This is considered "normal" and "acceptable". It's kind of funny too -- at work, it's always the expensive cars that make the squeaky brake noises. It's just one of those things I've learned to ignore with these cars. Obviously German ears are tuned to ignore brake pad noise.