Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Issues w/BT music streaming on 2015 A6

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues w/BT music streaming on 2015 A6

Before you flame me I did a search but nothing similar to my issue...close but not the same:

Something is definitely up with the built-in wireless router...

I use Pandora & Gplay A LOT on a newish LG G3 Droid via the car's WiFi router pigging off of TMobile - I have subscriptions to both music services and can advance as many songs desired. When forwarding through songs it 100% gets stuck...in other words if I forward through, say 5 songs, the whole system stalls...if it does recover I never see the music information in the MMi again until the car is restarted (which restarts the router).

If I disconnect from the car's WiFi while it's stuck, it immediately recovers to normal. If I never connect to the car's router I never get stuck. So it's not the BTooth or the apps, it's not TMobile. It's got to be the router. A networking guy at the office says this is common with home routers when streaming movies and it has to do with some obscure cache setting. But there doesn't seem to be options to mod the audi router.

It also takes forever for the whole music system to start, connect and begin playing music (although I read if you use the FOB to unlock the car from a distance it can help this issue). My wife's '15 Acura takes no more than 30 seconds to start (no WiFi)...but if I do not use the Audi WiFi it starts playing much quicker. Again, it's got to be the router.

Dealer says all is normal and they don't have any info on issues like these...frankly they aren't networking guys so I can't really blame 'em. I also don't expect Audi to provide $3k routers to handle advanced data handling but it's just music...?

Anyone else experience this issue? If so how did you improve the situation? TIA
Old 01-18-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

I have seen the Audi Connect WiFi to stop routing since I got the car in 2012. I stopped using the car's wifi, mainly because using the phone's connection with BT audio is much quicker to start playing music. In my opinion the Audi Connect Wifi is not really usable for any streaming (audio or video). It's fine for the occasional Internet search or reading text but not much more. And that seems to be even true for the internal network, not even trying to get out to the Internet.

For a while I tried streaming movies for the kids from a PC to two 1st generation iPad. All three devices were connected to the Audi's WiFi and the initial connection worked fine. But after a few minutes both iPad would stop playing and the PC was inaccessible over the network until the MMI was reset. I changed the setup to connect all 3 devices to an old Linksys WiFi N router and have never seen any drops since then.

AM/FM radio, SAT radio and audio from SD or HDD will actually start plating quite fast. BT audio takes longer and WiFi audio may take several minutes before it starts working.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just recently started streaming music in my '14 and found that it frequently freezes up in the middle of songs - I'll have to try turning off the wifi as suggested.

Last edited by audi40; 01-19-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that it takes so long for the Telephone and Nav functions to come online. It can be several minutes. Bad if you want to navigate somewhere because you have to sit there. Lookup a number to call takes long to populate even recent call lists. BT contact sync must be slow but then, I have 1850 contacts lol.