Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Key

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key

Have had issues with both of my keys for my A6. For some reason they don't work from more than 30-40ft away. They ordered me a new one for some fault code that came up while I was getting a TSB last week and it still doesn't work well. I've also gotten a new battery. Call me crazy but aren't these keys supposed to lock/unlock from a decent distance? I had a loaner 2016 A6 and it would work from my balcony on first click. My keys have yet to work once. My A4 keys had no issues with this.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scalco23
Have had issues with both of my keys for my A6. For some reason they don't work from more than 30-40ft away. They ordered me a new one for some fault code that came up while I was getting a TSB last week and it still doesn't work well. I've also gotten a new battery. Call me crazy but aren't these keys supposed to lock/unlock from a decent distance? I had a loaner 2016 A6 and it would work from my balcony on first click. My keys have yet to work once. My A4 keys had no issues with this.
Why use the key? Just touch the handle, the car will unlock - unlock all if you setup as such using the MMI.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Why use the key? Just touch the handle, the car will unlock - unlock all if you setup as such using the MMI.
I agree, my fob never sees the light of day.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 13c7a6
Locking?
Old 10-09-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by scalco23
Locking?
The car handles also have a locking button nearly flush to the outside edge. Tiny indent square part that you can press to lock the car.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There a couple of valid uses for the fob, even with advanced key: opening or closing the windows from a distance, i.e., on a hot day to cool the car in advance or if open, when it starts to rain. Also, if you forget to lock the car and have walked a distance away.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There a couple of valid uses for the fob, even with advanced key: opening or closing the windows from a distance, i.e., on a hot day to cool the car in advance or if open, when it starts to rain. Also, if you forget to lock the car and have walked a distance away.
Remember that closing windows and sunroof can also been done on the doorhandles...

You gotta love your Audi
Old 10-10-2015, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
It appears that weather plays an important roll as to the usage of the fob. Yesterday it was 102 degrees at my house and opening the windows 20 seconds before I enter the car only changes the inside temperature from 135 to 133 so it's not worth it. If it ever rained here then then maybe the window closing feature would be useful
Old 10-10-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have concrete evidence, but my experience is if you leave a key unused for say about a week you can't touch the door handle to unlock and key is not recognized. Once you use key to unlock and put the key up to key logo to start it goes back to normal. Maybe a battery saving measure.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
I don't have concrete evidence, but my experience is if you leave a key unused for say about a week you can't touch the door handle to unlock and key is not recognized. Once you use key to unlock and put the key up to key logo to start it goes back to normal. Maybe a battery saving measure.
That's the car battery saving mode. I had an issue when I went out of town for 2 weeks and that happened. I asked the dealer and they told me as soon as I started and ran the car the battery in the car recharged and the problem went away. Then it recurred when I went out of town again for extended period of days.

Quick Reply: Key