Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Key fob not responsive

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 12:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob not responsive

Firstly Merry Xmas to you all.....

I have an Audi A6 2011 that doesn't seem to be responsive very well anymore to my key fobs.I changed the battery in the fob as i thought this was the problem but it is still poor to respond.I used to be able to say unlock my car from at least 30/40 mts away but now i literally have to have it touching the glass...Forgot to say my A6 is the keyless start/stop....Thanks
Also on a couple of occasions once inside vehicle pressed start/stop button which gave off a beep with a display on the dash saying something like "fob not recognised,please hold against wifi type symbol adjacent dvd player on dash area.
Fob then recognised,car then started...
Any ideas??

Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

First, you don't say if you are in North America or elsewhere. A 2011 A6 in the U.S. would be a C6 A6 and your question might be better answered in that forum. If you have a C7, this is the correct place.

Do you have the second key fob and does it work properly? If you do and it works fine, the problem is likely in the key itself and might need to be replaced. If you have the second key and it exhibits the same issue, the problem could be with the receiver in the car.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
First, you don't say if you are in North America or elsewhere. A 2011 A6 in the U.S. would be a C6 A6 and your question might be better answered in that forum. If you have a C7, this is the correct place.

Do you have the second key fob and does it work properly? If you do and it works fine, the problem is likely in the key itself and might need to be replaced. If you have the second key and it exhibits the same issue, the problem could be with the receiver in the car.
Sorry i am in the UK.

Second fob does exactly as the first fob even with new batteries in each.
If the problem is the reciever will it need replacing?

Also i have read somewhere online that the car battery could be causing this problem.
Does this sound right??
Old 12-28-2014, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by buggy15
Sorry i am in the UK.

Second fob does exactly as the first fob even with new batteries in each.
If the problem is the reciever will it need replacing?

Also i have read somewhere online that the car battery could be causing this problem.
Does this sound right??

Since it's likely not the key fobs, it could be many things, i.e. bad receiver, poor wiring connection, etc. Not sure about the car battery but the car's electrical will shut down some systems to conserve it so it's possible a weak one could cause this. If you've had the car for 4 or 5 years, a replacement battery is prob going to need to be replaced soon anyway. If you have access to a VCDS, you could run a scan and see if any fault codes appear.