Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keyless Entry

So I have a 2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige.

I recently discovered that my keyless entry works about 85% of the time. This is a recent discovery though, not sure what is going on with in. I'm hoping that the battery for the fob is becoming weak? but I do not know how these things work exactly. Has anyone had this problem before, if there is a thread that would be great if a link could be posted. If this is a larger problem than it is, the car is covered for electronic problems such as this.

Thank you
Old 05-01-2016, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

you mean when the fob is in your pocket and you pull the door handle to unlock the car? if so, grab the handle but hesitate before you actually pull it (gives the electronics time to detect your hand on the handle) AND do not touch the lock button on the outside of the door handle while doing this.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilDX
you mean when the fob is in your pocket and you pull the door handle to unlock the car? if so, grab the handle but hesitate before you actually pull it (gives the electronics time to detect your hand on the handle) AND do not touch the lock button on the outside of the door handle while doing this.
this is correct. Whenever I put my hand on the back of the handle it doesn't unlock. I have waited to test it when it would happen, still nothing. I would reapply my hand to see if I did something too fast, but still nothing. I am not sure why it does this. So far I have noticed it while the handle is wet. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it though.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The car shuts down systems when the battery is getting low to conserve enough power to start the engine. I think this includes the door sensors. You can still unlock using the button on the fob right?

The dash normally gives you a message when the battery in the fob is getting low.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
.... You can still unlock using the button on the fob right?

The dash normally gives you a message when the battery in the fob is getting low.
Yes, I thought it was the fob's battery dying at first, but I have not had any pop ups on the car stating the fob battery is low. Also, to answer your question I can still use my fob to unlock the vehicle, but I am in love with keyless entry and it's a must have.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by newmoon
The car shuts down systems when the battery is getting low to conserve enough power to start the engine. I think this includes the door sensors.
Yes, if the car has been off for several hours, systems go to sleep including the door sensors. But no need to use the key - as the manual states, the door handle will need to be pulled twice - the first to wake up the lock system and the second to unlock the door.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Yes, if the car has been off for several hours, systems go to sleep including the door sensors. But no need to use the key - as the manual states, the door handle will need to be pulled twice - the first to wake up the lock system and the second to unlock the door.
I have done this actually, I even have it on video just incase I have to show proof that this isn't working. I pulled it about three times and nothing happens. I called the dealership in regards to this problem and they wanted to start by replacing the key fob battery to eliminate that theory. I am really hoping that is the case, because I want my keyless entry back. Also, I actually turned the car off walked away for about 10 minutes came back to test it and still nothing. So, at this point I have no idea what it is.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

Replace the battery yourself to check. It's a $2.00 CR2 and takes all of 1 minute to change.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JLochan
I have done this actually, I even have it on video just incase I have to show proof that this isn't working. I pulled it about three times and nothing happens. I called the dealership in regards to this problem and they wanted to start by replacing the key fob battery to eliminate that theory. I am really hoping that is the case, because I want my keyless entry back. Also, I actually turned the car off walked away for about 10 minutes came back to test it and still nothing. So, at this point I have no idea what it is.
I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you have not installed any "new" equipment recently that may be causing an rf inference?

Replacing the FOB battery is a good place to start though.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I am going to go out on a limb here and assume you have not installed any "new" equipment recently that may be causing an rf inference?

Replacing the FOB battery is a good place to start though.
The dealership said that they would replace my battery free of charge and inspect it right then and there incase it isn't a quick fix. Also they only thing I installed is just a Bluetooth adapter for my media, but its been installed for a few weeks now and the problem just started 3 days ago.

Quick Reply: Keyless Entry