Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Side assist quits - no warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Side assist quits - no warning

Recently on a trip to San Diego, we had the "Side" assist quit working with no warning or action on our part. The only evidence of the fault was the light going out on the button but who spends time looking for that light? One other thing, we noticed it when the wife mentioned that she was not getting the lights alerting her to cars that were passing us. When I went into settings, the option for the "Side" assist was grayed out. Selecting the grayed out option gave the message that the system was unavailable (paraphrasing here). I backed out from that message, then backed out one more step. I stopped then selected the driver assistance menu again, and voila, the "Side" assist was available and yes, it was unchecked. I selected to activate "Side" assist and all was back to normal.

Sorry this seems so complicated but not sure how else to describe what happened and how I got it back.

Is this a computer glitch? Time for a dealer visit?

Last edited by ByByBMW; 08-31-2016 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Recently on a trip to San Diego, we had the Audi Lane assist quit working with no warning or action on our part. The only evidence of the fault was the light going out on the button but who spends time looking for that light? One other thing, we noticed it when the wife mentioned that she was not getting the lights alerting her to cars that were passing us. When I went into settings, the option for the lane assist was grayed out. Selecting the grayed out option gave the message that the system was unavailable (paraphrasing here). I backed out from that message, then backed out one more step. I stopped then selected the driver assistance menu again, and voila, the active lane assist was available and yes, it was unchecked. I selected to activate active lane assist and all was back to normal.

Sorry this seems so complicated but not sure how else to describe what happened and how I got it back.

Is this a computer glitch? Time for a dealer visit?
Mine has done this three times. I've noticed its traditionally happened when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic and there tends to be semi-trucks on one or both sides of me.

There is an error on the MMI something like lane assist vision blocked or something and the red light on the button on the door pillar goes out. I've never tried to turn it back on via the MMI, only that button.

For me, It will stay off and cannot be reset until the car is restarted (usually for me that'll be the next day when I'm going somewhere and don't forget to turn it back on).

Anyways, your situation sounds similar (normal?) to my own.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
Mine has done this three times. I've noticed its traditionally happened when I'm in bumper to bumper traffic and there tends to be semi-trucks on one or both sides of me.

There is an error on the MMI something like lane assist vision blocked or something and the red light on the button on the door pillar goes out. I've never tried to turn it back on via the MMI, only that button.

For me, It will stay off and cannot be reset until the car is restarted (usually for me that'll be the next day when I'm going somewhere and don't forget to turn it back on).

Interesting, I had mine shut off inexplicably one time and could never figure out the cause. I assumed someone had pressed the button on the door and turned it off but now you've got me wondering....
Old 08-30-2016, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi

In my case, we were headed back from San Diego on I-8 which is a very low traffic highway. Definitely not surrounded by semi's.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Interesting, I had mine shut off inexplicably one time and could never figure out the cause. I assumed someone had pressed the button on the door and turned it off but now you've got me wondering....
The other interesting thing I've noticed is that my map view went back to standard view instead of Google maps. I have no idea if the two events are related. I will say that map view stayed on Google maps until we got home from the trip. It was just this morning that the map view had shifted to normal view instead of Google maps. Went into settings, re-selected Google maps and all is back to normal.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
In my case, we were headed back from San Diego on I-8 which is a very low traffic highway. Definitely not surrounded by semi's.
Well, ok. I'm sure there are probably other cases where it can get disabled (perhaps bug guts or something blocking a sensor).

The error hasn't happened in awhile, but, I do recall it showing up and going away pretty quick not even sure if there was a beep or anything and it doesn't leave a "!" error or anything up when it happens that way -- the side mirrors just don't light up anymore.

I definitely cannot reset it until restart of the car though. It would give me a message whenever I pressed the button so that's different that your situation I guess.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this happen once. I hadn't been able to wash the car in two weeks just due to constant rain and such. The system shut itself off on my way into work (I noticed when someone flew passed me and I didn't see any lights and noticed the light on the activation button was off). Checked the sensors when I got to work and found 3 of them were just covered in road grime.

I think when two or more sensors get some gunk on them, the system turns off. You might be experiencing something else, but since then, I've just made sure when I can't get the car washed properly, I just clean the sensors off a bit and haven't had the issue happen again.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting...I had the sudden stop of lane assist system happen twice. Also had the lane assist quit working during the drive about three times in last 2-years with a notification on the MMI suddenly saying something along the line of "Lane assist fault".... but basically it stops working and message in center dash tells me the system just failed.

I hit the button in driver side door edge and it activates again.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IknowHuhA6
Interesting...I had the sudden stop of lane assist system happen twice. Also had the lane assist quit working during the drive about three times in last 2-years with a notification on the MMI suddenly saying something along the line of "Lane assist fault".... but basically it stops working and message in center dash tells me the system just failed.

I hit the button in driver side door edge and it activates again.
This has happen 4/5 times to me as well. No clue as to why.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Just to clarify, I believe the OP's issue being discussed is "Side Assist", not "Lane Assist". I had mine turn off on its own twice in one day and simply pressed the SA button to reactivate it. Since it has not reoccurred and there were no MMI messages or fault codes present, I shrugged it off to one of those software glitches that happen from time to time.

Quick Reply: Side assist quits - no warning