Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED headlight cutoff pattern

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 10:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight cutoff pattern

Hi all,

The other day I noticed that the cutoff pattern of my '14 LED headlights is rather odd:

LED headlight cutoff pattern-you7eke.png

Now normally I'd attribute it to headlights being off their aiming, however if I park about 10 ft from my garage door, the right side headlight cutoff is only about 1.5-2" above the left headlight which I believe is the norm.

The other super odd part is that the cutoff is AS uniform as my drawing meaning there's perfect overlap between where the cutoff ends for the left headlight and begins for the right headlight.

I look for adjusters on my 2014 and noticed a screw with an arrow but the top end of the arrow has an L and the bottom has an R which to me makes it seem like a horizontal adjuster. I was not able to find the vertical one.

So - does that cutoff makes sense or is something here super funky? For what its worth - visibility is quite good.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

While I can't tell from the diagram the verticle variance at a distance, it is normal for the left headlamp to be pointed lower than the right to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. Also, it would make sense that when close to your garage door, the differential between the two would be less as the light hasn't had a chance to spread apart.

That said, you can make an adjustment.
A quick search of the forum revealed this thread and the screw location:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...o-low-2859463/

Last edited by snagitseven; 11-22-2015 at 04:03 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

IF you have the Matrix system THEN.........
IF you have Auto High Beams THEN........
IF you live in Australia THEN.........

L= LOWER, R = RAISE !

Last edited by DB22; 12-01-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
While I can't tell from the diagram the verticle variance at a distance, it is normal for the left headlamp to be pointed lower than the right to avoid blinding oncoming drivers. Also, it would make sense that when close to your garage door, the differential between the two would be less as the light hasn't had a chance to spread apart.

That said, you can make an adjustment.
A quick search of the forum revealed this thread and the screw location:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...o-low-2859463/
The diagram is actually spot on when it comes to vertical variance if I move back far enough. Basically the upper horizontal cutoff of the driver side headlight matches the lower cutoff of the pass side headlight - there is no gap between them.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by McFuzz
The diagram is actually spot on when it comes to vertical variance if I move back far enough. Basically the upper horizontal cutoff of the driver side headlight matches the lower cutoff of the pass side headlight - there is no gap between them.

"I look for adjusters on my 2014 and noticed a screw with an arrow but the top end of the arrow has an L and the bottom has an R which to me makes it seem like a horizontal adjuster. I was not able to find the vertical one. "

I have the same pattern, but both my lights were a little low, so I used the adjuster to raise them both a little. Try the adjuster and you'll see its not "Left and Right", but "Raise and Lower"
Old 11-23-2015, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
"I look for adjusters on my 2014 and noticed a screw with an arrow but the top end of the arrow has an L and the bottom has an R which to me makes it seem like a horizontal adjuster. I was not able to find the vertical one. "

I have the same pattern, but both my lights were a little low, so I used the adjuster to raise them both a little. Try the adjuster and you'll see its not "Left and Right", but "Raise and Lower"
Got it. After adjusting - did you retain that pattern?
Old 11-23-2015, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

In general such patterns allow for focusing the headlamps further down the road while not blinding oncoming drivers and providing ample illumination for the right side of the road (pedestrians, etc.)
Old 11-23-2015, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Fahrer
In general such patterns allow for focusing the headlamps further down the road while not blinding oncoming drivers and providing ample illumination for the right side of the road (pedestrians, etc.)
Makes sense - it's just that I've never seen that pattern before - I've always seen it like this: ____/````````
Old 11-23-2015, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up raising the driver side headlight a full turn - seems to be perfect now in terms of visibility, but the weird pattern is still there
Old 11-24-2015, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The pattern shape is probably due to the ability of the factory to aim the low beam, muiti-bulb LED headlamps. Looking at the pattern, it makes sense that there would be a flat area in the center to provide a better transition of light coverage from left to right than would be possible with standard single bulb headlamps.

Quick Reply: LED headlight cutoff pattern