Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED headlight functionality we don't have, why?

Old 03-12-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight functionality we don't have, why?

This is direct from audi.co.uk, why don't US cars have these features? can they be enabled?

LED headlights provide for optimised road illumination similar to the effect achieved by daylight.
LED technology provides lower energy consumption and enhanced contrast with a colour similar to daylight, for increased safety and good recognition by other road users. Includes all-weather light function to reduce the risk of the driver being dazzled when visibility is poor (in fog, rain or snow), turning light function which is activated when indicator is switched on (up to speeds of 45mph), and an additional motorway light which automatically increases headlight range at speeds above approximately 68mph. Also includes high-beam assist which automatically adjusts headlights from high-beam to dipped-beam when another vehicle is approaching or when other ambient lighting is detected (i.e. street lights) by a camera on the interior mirror
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The high beam assist is the only feature out of those that I think the US cars lack.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

http://www.businessweek.com/printer/articles/105964-audi-wants-to-change-a-45-year-old-u-dot-s-dot-headlight-rule

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...-new-headlamps

Last edited by uberwgn; 03-13-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Hockenheim

and an additional motorway light which automatically increases headlight range at speeds above approximately 68mph.
Name:  highwaylights_zps3d794716.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  48.3 KB

Old 03-12-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Wow they sound stupid. They would prefer a 45 year old system that requires people to turn on and off their brights. It is not like this is rocket science.

But Joan Claybrook, a former NHTSA administrator, says the agency doesn’t generally change a regulation unless manufacturers show a proven safety benefit backed up by studies. The lobbying push could be even tougher at a time of budget cuts due to the sequester, she says. “A lighting system that dims, I’m not sure that’s going to be No. 1 on their list.”
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Joan Claybrook...!!!....she helped cause the 55 mph National speed limit back in the late '70s. She was the most anti car head of the NHTSA in history. Why does she still have a pulpit and she's ancient and probably senile......
Old 03-12-2014, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by uberwgn
So uberwgn, is that the default setting or your modified or ???

How does one tell the highway light is activated? Is it obvious?
Old 03-12-2014, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn

I seem to remember someone doing that Highway light mod and it didn't work in NAR cars. In any case, above 90 mph at night, it wouldn't be of much use if it did.
As for the other automatic lights as shown in the second diagram, that's definitely not available in North America. I believe that system is tied into the nav maps.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so many features the US models don't get...including this one.
Why is Audi doing that to us?
I never knew Audi limits the features and options on NA cars so much till I started discovering them one by one.
No automatic headlight adjustment, no headlight washers, no speed limit indicator on dash/HUD, no active lane assist (on 2012 models), no automatic trunk open/closure, no this, no that.
I like the car itself (A6), but I'm pretty disappointed in the brand overall.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
So uberwgn, is that the default setting or your modified or ???

How does one tell the highway light is activated? Is it obvious?
I checked the box so supposedly it's enabled on my car. I don't drive enough at night (on the highway) to say whether it's working or not. And my local highways are very well lit.

I believe Ross-Tech's interpretation that it doesn't active 'til 90mph is wrong. I think it phases in gradually beginning at 68mph and hits the maximum reach (distance) at 90mph.

I don't think our cars (USA) have that other functionality shown in that sketch. I have another diagram of the "highway headlights" feature but can't locate it at the moment. It doesn't depict those other functions.

People that drive on dark highways at night should try turning this on and see if they can note any difference. Perhaps VCDS has a measuring blocks screen where activation of this feature can be viewed (??).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED headlight functionality we don't have, why?