Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

LED trunk light(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Try this:

https://www.wiredco.com/LED_Lighting...age_s/1874.htm

On the same page is a dimmer module with a remote. You can either run a strip or bulbs and then on/off and dim with a remote. Overkill but some may like it, I have 2 lighting my patio.

Last edited by DB22; 08-06-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Now *THAT'S* what I'm talking about! Where can I get one?

I started looking at the LED strip lights and am worried about them being exposed. I'm not gentle when loading the trunk and so I think I need something shielded.
I've bought dozens of LED strips from eBay. There are several types which are found by specified by the lamp size. The newest and brightest is the 5630. The 5050 and 3528 put out the same amount of light per foot. 5050 is brighter but 3528's have more lamps per foot.

The other factor for searching is the length in centimeters. 300 cm is about a foot and it's a common length. One meter is another common length. The roll in DVE's link is 5 meters and you can cut to the length that fits. The strips are wired in groups of three and there are marks showing where to cut.

You want to make sure that they are waterproof which mean that they have clear PVC over the strip. Non-waterproof will work but it leaves the lamps exposed. You also want to make sure that they have double sided tape on the back. Cool white has a bluish tint and warm white has more red in it.

I buy mine for around $1.50 per foot unless it's something special. I get the best deals by placing the bid in the last 15 seconds.

The 5050's shown in DVE's post are RGB's (red-green-blue). You vary the ground to the lamps to make any color and brightness you desire. They usually come with a controller box and a remote. I have one on my wifes visor and she uses it as a red reading lamp on long trips.

Search using "led strip" and sort by lowest price and shipping. Add descriptors such as 5050, 3528, 5630, white, cold, cool, warm, etc. to narrow your search. The lowest cost strips come from the Pacific Rim so allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. Test the strips across your battery before leaving feedback. I've had a few dead lamps and got a full refund from PayPal. Life expectancy is around 2-3 years so you might want to have spares. Sometimes one of the three lamps go out usually due to the resister failing.

Here's a shot of my LED rack
Name:  stock1-2011001.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  122.8 KB
Old 08-06-2014, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVE
The led bar which I use is no longer available (bought in 2009, pic from C6)
Bummer, I was at the local Home Depot (big US hardware store chain) and they had a nice 18" unit .... for $50! They had some of the strip lights (like you linked and others have also mentioned) and I agree, the "waterproof" silicon might be enough protection. Plus I could replace the strips several times for the price of the bar!

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I've bought dozens of LED strips from eBay. There are several types which are found by specified by the lamp size. The newest and brightest is the 5630. The 5050 and 3528 put out the same amount of light per foot. 5050 is brighter but 3528's have more lamps per foot.

You want to make sure that they are waterproof which mean that they have clear PVC over the strip. Non-waterproof will work but it leaves the lamps exposed. You also want to make sure that they have double sided tape on the back. Cool white has a bluish tint and warm white has more red in it.
Great info, thanks! Any idea which color would best match the Audi LED interior? Not that I expect to see the trunk and interior together very often, but....

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Here's a shot of my LED rack
It feels very AWOT'ish to say this, but... Nice rack!!!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I replace the original trunk bulb with LED one 2 weeks ago. Normal LED that I bought from ebay for $4 (3pc) works awesome in my Cabriolet. Actually everything will be good in the miniature trunk of the cabriolet

Purchased 37mm LED thinking that will fit in the interior light, but it turned out the interior is 41mm long so I just tried the 37 in the trunk and it worked perfectly. When you buy have on mind to look for CANBUS chip because the LED has lower wattage than normal bulb and thats why you may have a code for problem with the light. On my Cabriolet there is not that much electronic things
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
Great info, thanks! Any idea which color would best match the Audi LED interior? Not that I expect to see the trunk and interior together very often, but....
Thanks!

The prices at the home centers and FLAPS are sky high. As for the color, go all out and buy a two or three foot strip of each than compare them to the interior lamps when you test them. I personally like the cool or cold white for trunks. I had to switch my powder room light to warm white when the cool whites blasted the little room. The warm whites look close to a standard incandescent bulb. The cold whites are used in most LED flashlights.

DVE's trunk pictures appear to be cold white LEDs.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Does anybody know the correct brand and LED model to replace the cargo bay and license plate lights?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I bought a packet of 6 LEDs from EBAY for $8 and replaced the trunk and all 4 doors red lamps. I think that every lamp in my A6 now is LED.

BTW - unless you want to engineer these lamps then be careful what you buy. The shoulder on the plastic LED's is larger than the old bulbs and some bending of the socket was necessary for insertion. Also the length of the SMD assembly is an issue so the very bright ones are too long for the housing.

Although I am happy with what I did, increase in trunk brightness and, because I had them, I changed the door bulbs, I would not recommend this purchase due to the modifications necessary to the socket.

Last edited by DB22; 08-08-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glacier6
Does anybody know the correct brand and LED model to replace the cargo bay and license plate lights?
Are you saying that the license plate lamps are incandescent? Mine are factory LED.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DB22
Are you saying that the license plate lamps are incandescent? Mine are factory LED.
I'm not sure, waiting for mine to come home from the shop today for some minor fixes and then I will check. Mine was an early build '12 model and I've heard some of them did not come standard with LED for the license plate.

The rest of the car has the LED lighting package except for the cargo bay lights and glove box, which makes absolutely no sense.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I think that every lamp in my A6 now is LED.
What are you running for the backup light? I think I recall that ships as an incandescent as well - sure seems like the perfect place for a killer-bright LED though!

Quick Reply: LED trunk light(s)?