Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Lowering the A6: Seeking Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lectrolink
Went down to visit Eurocode this morning. Posed the same question to them and Chris, the manager, also recommended sways/links first, before springs/shocks. They also showed me the Aleu Kreuz component--much larger than i thought, milled from a solid hunk of aluminum. Impressive, and they were recommending it as an effective addition to the sways, but iI think I will wait on the AK, as the tab with labor is well over 2K for both sways/links and AK. But I scheduled the install for sways/links for Saturday. Will report on it after the change.
That sounds like a good way to go. I considered the Alu Kreuz as well when I was doing the sways/end links but figured I'd gait the upgrades to see if I felt like I wanted more improvement beyond the sways/end links. Plus, like the sways/end links, the AK can be installed pretty easily/inexpensively and not require an alignment. I'd be interested to hear your opinions on the sways/end links and whether you feel like adding the AK would be worth it, since it's not exactly cheap.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Went down to visit Eurocode this morning. Posed the same question to them and Chris, the manager, also recommended sways/links first, before springs/shocks. They also showed me the Aleu Kreuz component--much larger than i thought, milled from a solid hunk of aluminum. Impressive, and they were recommending it as an effective addition to the sways, but iI think I will wait on the AK, as the tab with labor is well over 2K for both sways/links and AK. But I scheduled the install for sways/links for Saturday. Will report on it after the change.
What are they charging for the labor to install the ARBs and links? All in cost?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What are they charging for the labor to install the ARBs and links? All in cost?
They are quoting around $1250 for the ARBs and end links, including all parts, labor, new bolts. Alu Kreuz + install quote is $910.

It seems recent Audis have beefed up their OEM brace with a one-piece steel unit that is an improvement over the earlier flimsy multi-piece ones. So it is hard to know how much the AK will change things on a 2016 since most of the comments/reviews available online are older and refer to an upgrade of the flimsy unit.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

They are quoting around $1250 for the ARBs and end links, including all parts, labor, new bolts. Alu Kreuz + install quote is $910.

It seems recent Audis have beefed up their OEM brace with a one-piece steel unit that is an improvement over the earlier flimsy multi-piece ones. So it is hard to know how much the AK will change things on a 2016 since most of the comments/reviews available online are older and refer to an upgrade of the flimsy unit.
That sounds about right on for the ARBs/end links parts/labor install price.

$910 all in sounds like about 2 hours labor considering the AK runs $720...maybe a bit high considering the supposed ease of install?
Old 05-27-2016, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by thehaviet
I just put 19" wheels on my A6 with 455/40/19 tires and looking to lower the car by about 2 inches to close the gap between tires and fenders?

Is this a safe height for the car? What would you suggest?

And which kit should I be looking into for the car?

Any idea how much the cost would be do this? Labor cost, what the installer would charge.

Thanks
Recommendation, don't lower it. It's a ****ing luxury car...
Old 05-27-2016, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Hockenheim
Recommendation, don't lower it. It's a ****ing luxury car...

Silly comment. It's a sports sedan, not a Cadillac.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4.2 Dreamer
Silly comment. It's a sports sedan, not a Cadillac.
?????

Cadillac CTS-V Reviews - Cadillac CTS-V Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

"Sports sedan" An A6? maybe an S6, an RS6, but an A6? I don't think so....a very nice German luxury sedan.

This still performs as a "sports sedan"?

Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
?????

Cadillac CTS-V Reviews - Cadillac CTS-V Price, Photos, and Specs - Car and Driver

"Sports sedan" An A6? maybe an S6, an RS6, but an A6? I don't think so....a very nice German luxury sedan.

That's a bit extreme. I definitely do not want my car to look anything like that.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Sportstick
?????

I'd recommend you spend more time educating yourself on Audis.

Knowing more about the brand might prevent you from mistaking an A4 for an A6.

Oops.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4.2 Dreamer
I'd recommend you spend more time educating yourself on Audis.

Knowing more about the brand might prevent you from mistaking an A4 for an A6.

Oops.
Actually not...and a deflection from the issue. I could have used any BMW similarly handicapped to make the primary point as well. Although, as we're now "picking the fly poop from the pepper", a D segment vehicle's mass makes a much stronger case for being a "sports sedan" from the start.

As to the degree of lowering being the discriminator, reminds me of the story of a man approaching an extremely attractive woman at a bar and starting some charming small talk. He then asks her if she'd spend the night with him for one million dollars. She smiles, winks, and says, "I suppose so.". He then asks if she would spend the night for $25? She slaps him and says, "What kind of woman do you think I am?". He replies, "We've already established that. We're just haggling about the price."

For some things, the right answer is "no" and not the amount.

Aftermarket lowering has a long history of compromising years of work by large teams of vehicle development engineers in the vain attempt to "look cool". On a luxury sedan such as an A6, it becomes as egregious as sneakers with a tux. As always, each to their own, but the OP started out by asking opinions and he just got another "don't do it" a few posts above.

Quick Reply: Lowering the A6: Seeking Reccomendations