Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Lug Nut Covers

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lug Nut Covers

I've been wondering about these. I can't understand the logic. I even need a special tool. WTF. The only thing I can come up with is that accounting instead of engineering decided real lug nuts would be too expensive. Anyone else think this is a cheap out for an upscale luxury sedan like ours or is it just me?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan:

let me present an opposite view. I fully understand the logic at Audi. I do not think its a cheap out.

If Audi put on fancy lug bolts (though I am not sure what fancy lug bolt/nut means), it would require a special tool to keep from destroying them. That is what happened with Porsche in the 70s 80s and 90s. It used a beautiful anodized aluminium billet lug nut. a work of art. $10 each back then. But you have to spend $40 or more for a special socket with a nylon insert to keep from destroying the nut. Porsche must have sold thousands of replacement nuts due to tire shops using a full metal socket destroying nuts.

And remember that Audi uses lug bolts and not nuts. Are you aware of other companies with "luxury" lug bolts? I am not. I have a set of OZ racing wheels - shipped with rather plain (but high strength) lug bolts. Even OZ recommends the plastic caps.

IMHO, I think using a plastic cap is great solution. They even have the caps in a variety of colors.

Also in my opinion, the far better solution are the Audi wheels that use center caps that cover the lug bolts. In Colorado due to mag chloride, that is the best way to protect the bolt.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I do appreciate your perspective and had actually considered some of these aspects before posting.

I will admit I was a little frustrated at the time I posted because I found getting the covers oriented in my winter wheels counterbored holes a chore. Every single cover I tried to put on wanted to rotate on it's back with the opening facing the sky and when I finally got it to lay on it's side then I had to get the covers hex opening lined up with the hex head of the bolt. My fingers were actually sore by the time I was done. I am just curious what other owners think. That's all. Thank you for sharing!!!
Old 12-01-2015, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say lug covers, and based on the pic of your rotor wheels, I imagine you are talking about this little covers that go over each individual lug. I have those on the q5. I don't mind them. They match the wheels. They come off easy with that tweezer tool that is in the car. My only tip is, don't use them on aftermarket wheels. The dealer did and the bolt hole was smaller than the Factory holes, so the tweezer would not work as well. Drove me nuts. Of course stupid me, I didn't realize caps were on the lugs so I was more pissed when my socket was useless at getting them off. HA.

My A6 has that 5 star cover that goes on the center, but each arm of the star covers the bolts. That comes off easy as well. I love the look of the covers I have for my A.

I don't mind either set up for my factory rims. My winter wheels has a center cap that has no real look. Cheesy logo that I removed.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
When you say lug covers, and based on the pic of your rotor wheels, I imagine you are talking about this little covers that go over each individual lug. I have those on the q5. I don't mind them. They match the wheels. They come off easy with that tweezer tool that is in the car. My only tip is, don't use them on aftermarket wheels. The dealer did and the bolt hole was smaller than the Factory holes, so the tweezer would not work as well. Drove me nuts. Of course stupid me, I didn't realize caps were on the lugs so I was more pissed when my socket was useless at getting them off. HA.

My A6 has that 5 star cover that goes on the center, but each arm of the star covers the bolts. That comes off easy as well. I love the look of the covers I have for my A.

I don't mind either set up for my factory rims. My winter wheels has a center cap that has no real look. Cheesy logo that I removed.
I have a 2015 S4 with 18" rims that have this cover...how is this center cover removed and what tool is used? thanks
Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010S4Fan
I have a 2015 S4 with 18" rims that have this cover...how is this center cover removed and what tool is used? thanks
There's a small hole - 1 mm dia, in the cover. You'll find a small metal hook in the tool kit. Hook in hole then a tug.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NABS4

There's a small hole - 1 mm dia, in the cover. You'll find a small metal hook in the tool kit. Hook in hole then a tug.
A small Allen wrench works too
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
I used the 90* end of a metal scribe. Twist the tool around so it's putting force toward the outside of the hub cap - it's reinforced there. You can see the "J" in the third picture of this auction.

1 Audi Wheel Center Cap Hub Caps 4F0 601 165 1A | eBay
Old 03-27-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Pardon my ignorance but I've got a 2016 A6 with 19" wheels with the individual plastic covers for each nut, not the center cover. Is there suppose to be a device that comes in the spare tire kit that helps one pull them off? Something that looks like a pair of tweezers, perhaps, or should I also be using the small hook tool to pluck them out? Or did they forget to pack that in my car on delivery?
Old 03-27-2016, 09:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beethoveen
Is there suppose to be a device that comes in the spare tire kit that helps one pull them off? Something that looks like a pair of tweezers...
Here's what the device looks like
1x Auto Wheel Bolt Nut Covers Caps Remover Tool Tweezers for Audi VW 8D0012244A | eBay

Quick Reply: Lug Nut Covers