Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Maintaining a TDI

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintaining a TDI

Hey everyone,

So few weeks ago I ordered an 2016 A6 TDI model, and its on its way here. Before it gets here, I'd like to learn more about maintaining it, as it's my first diesel car. Questions that came up in my mind includes:

-I know each station has their own different additives, and would anyone who happens to live in the the lower mainland of Vancouver BC know the better fuel station brand for diesel in my area?
-Is adblue, the DPF added similarly like normal fuel? By that I mean add whenever (as long as its not fully empty of course) or add before it reaches a certain point?
-Any other non-obvious general things to watch out for?

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

My understanding of diesel is that the quality of fuel is not as important as it is with gas. I buy diesel from different sources and I have yet to see difference between brands when it comes to economy or drivability.
When AdBlue needs to be topped up, a message will appear in the DIS. If I remember correctly, the first message will appear with a range of 2000 km remaining. There are a few threads about how to fill the DEF tank.
Here's a link to Audi's maintenance schedule: http://www.audi.ca/etc/medialib/ngw/..._year_2014.pdf
The most noticeable thing is the frequency of fuel filter changes, which is every 30k km, after the first change at 25k km.
I had a 600 km drive today and averaged 5.5 L/100 km. Fantastic car. Enjoy.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info NABS4!

From previous threads on the tdi club forums i've read, some have been saying some brands of diesel actually operate better for reasons such as cold starts, less black emissions, better lubrication?

If it's as you said (hopefully!), it'd be something less to worry about haha.
Greatly looking forward to that incredible fuel efficiency and that troque =)
Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The adblue tank is generally large enough to take you to each oil change ( 10K miles?). I would recommend the use of fuel additive only if the temperature goes below 10F at night unless the car is kept in a garage. You should also know that the emission systems for Diesels are much more complex than for gasoline engines and can be very costly to repair. I have a VW Touareg TDI which uses the same engine as the A6 TDI. It now has over 60K miles and has had the injectors, fuel pump, pump control module and egr cooler all replaced during this period. But it does get good mileage.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't worry about any of it.

1) I read "cetane is awesome"! So, I bought a case of the stantadyne. I couldn't note a difference in anything except my wallet was $50 lighter.

2) I read I should be worried about lubricity and the HPFP. Most of the fuel pump failures are attributed to gas accidentally getting mixed into the diesel and Bosch has redesigned it a few times.

3) Smoke on startup? Not in our TDI's, the DPF prevents that from happening. Maybe some ash when its doing a regeneration.

Now, there probably is some truth to some neighborhood gas stations that sell diesel and that diesel sitting in their tanks dramatically longer than it should with fungus and algae and dead squirrels, whatever. So go somewhere that they move a lot of diesel (it'll be cheaper there too) and you won't have that issue.

Diesels overall are less complicated than gas engines and yes as the gent who owns the Toureg knows, there were some teething problems with the TDIs that are basically all solved now.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I wouldn't worry about any of it.

1) I read "cetane is awesome"! So, I bought a case of the stantadyne. I couldn't note a difference in anything except my wallet was $50 lighter.

2) I read I should be worried about lubricity and the HPFP. Most of the fuel pump failures are attributed to gas accidentally getting mixed into the diesel and Bosch has redesigned it a few times.

3) Smoke on startup? Not in our TDI's, the DPF prevents that from happening. Maybe some ash when its doing a regeneration.

Now, there probably is some truth to some neighborhood gas stations that sell diesel and that diesel sitting in their tanks dramatically longer than it should with fungus and algae and dead squirrels, whatever. So go somewhere that they move a lot of diesel (it'll be cheaper there too) and you won't have that issue.

Diesels overall are less complicated than gas engines and yes as the gent who owns the Toureg knows, there were some teething problems with the TDIs that are basically all solved now.
That was true before clean Diesels. With the new technology they are significantly more complex and it has much to do with all of the processes needed to keep them clean such as heating systems and cooling systems for the fuel to keep the temperature in a narrow range.

Here is some background.

http://vwts.ru/engine/cata/pps_94180...system_eng.pdf

The systems are quite complex compared to a contemporary gasoline engine even though some of the systems are similar to gasoline engines.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Chewy, I forgot to mention that I run anti-gel additive in the coldest months, but I don't think it is necessarily required. I'm sure the refiners have dialed in the proper additives for winter. In Vancouver you'd never need it. Regardless, a 1L bottle was all that was required for the winter: Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost Winterizing Anti-Gel | Canadian Tire

Regarding fuel quality, I run fuel from Shell, Esso, PC and Husky and have never noticed a difference. I'm not backing up to restaurants and stealing their used grease!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All great info everyone, much appreciated!

So based on the suggestions here, in Vancouver where it's a bit rare to see below -10C temp, and due to internal parking inside a garage, I shouldn't have to worry about adding in fuel additives?

Seems like the next thing to research for is the station around my area with the most moved diesel. Is there any difference between regular diesel and premium diesel then? I know Shell has their V-power which I've noticed, and heard Husky having their "DieselMax". They provide any gains compared to standard diesel?
Old 09-11-2015, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Chewy379
All great info everyone, much appreciated!

So based on the suggestions here, in Vancouver where it's a bit rare to see below -10C temp, and due to internal parking inside a garage, I shouldn't have to worry about adding in fuel additives?

Seems like the next thing to research for is the station around my area with the most moved diesel. Is there any difference between regular diesel and premium diesel then? I know Shell has their V-power which I've noticed, and heard Husky having their "DieselMax". They provide any gains compared to standard diesel?
Overnight with extremely low temperatures is the biggest problem. If you park in a controlled/protected garage overnight you should not have a problem. Understand that the fuel is heated when the engine is running as well. Further I would not worry about/pay for "premium' diesel fuel. It is more important that it is free from water and other contaminants ( high volume seller). Finally, it should be understood that the refineries blend fuel fuels for different regions and for different months. The trouble begins when the temperatures drop sharply than anticipated for that time of year. I would keep a bottle of Stanadyne ( or similar) handy during the winter months.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And lets not forget, your car will get angry if you dont fill up AdBlue when it asks for it. Eventually it will go full on pouty-bitch-silent-treatment-mode and not let you start it up if don't heed its advice and multiple warnings.

Quick Reply: Maintaining a TDI