Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Stop start feature

Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop start feature

My A6 TDI is about 5 weeks old with 1000 miles. Since day one the “stop/start” feature has only worked intermittently. I have read the manual and understand that the "stop/start" feature does not work under all conditions. I am talking about it not working during times when it should- – normal residential street driving after the car has warmed up. For instance, today I had the car out on a 12 mile trip, 6 miles each way; residential area; weather in the high 70's; a/c on for the entire trip. I counted 13 FULL stops at red lights and stop signs. Not once did the "stop/start" feature work. (and yes, the feature is ON). Since I purchased the car, I have noticed that the "stop/start" feature works about 50% of the time. Today was a fat ZERO.

Now, I know the problem cannot be all me. I had the car in for service earlier this week (for this complaint and several minor issues) and was given an A6 3.0 as my loaner car. I counted 6 full red light and stop sign full stops and each time the stop start feature worked.

Audi service found nothing wrong with the "stop/start" feature during the service.

Any ideas???
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Was the A/C Temp set to "LO" versus a specific degree. I have experienced that when it is set this cold, the stop/start feature does not engage.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming the other criteria is met, i.e. a/c, engine temp, etc., Stop/Start will only engage if the brake pedal is firmly depressed. It will not engage if you come to a gradual stop w/o fully depressing the pedal afterward.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

There are a number of parameters which are considered in the operation of start/stop function, and not limited to HVAC (call for heat, or cooling), charge level of the battery, ambient temperature, and temperature of the vehicle (oil/coolant). On my Q5, I enabled the battery level meter and was surprised to see that the charge level varied between 70 and 60% of full charge. Stop/start never worked when the charge was below 80%. The alternator of this car has some "smarts" and it is not constantly charging the battery, as far as I can tell.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Assuming the other criteria is met, i.e. a/c, engine temp, etc., Stop/Start will only engage if the brake pedal is firmly depressed. It will not engage if you come to a gradual stop w/o fully depressing the pedal afterward.
And this.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snag, completely off topic, but did you see the new A7 facelift?

Just being reported on today. They say it will be available late this summer in the US. And it is being reported as HAVING the LTE.

I was wondering if you thought there was any chance that was, in fact, true. And if it is, whether or not we may see that on our MY15's.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jatp
Snag, completely off topic, but did you see the new A7 facelift?

Just being reported on today. They say it will be available late this summer in the US. And it is being reported as HAVING the LTE.

I was wondering if you thought there was any chance that was, in fact, true. And if it is, whether or not we may see that on our MY15's.
Yes, that's completely off topic and the only official Audi press release talking about LTE I've seen is for the new A3. Not sure where they got that or if the A7 reports are accurate. I'll believe it when I see it
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Working in downtown Los Angeles and facing traffic on a daily basis, I use the Auto Stop feature alot. I was also wondering about when it works and when it doesn't. I have noticed that when the AC is running, the Auto Stop feature does not always work even when depressing the brake pedal fully. This does not happen consistently, however.

On occasion, with the AC off, I notice my Auto Stop does not work. Not sure why, but this has happened maybe 2-3 times where the Auto Stop does not work for the whole trip. I use it the next day and it works fine.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, that's completely off topic and the only official Audi press release talking about LTE I've seen is for the new A3. Not sure where they got that or if the A7 reports are accurate. I'll believe it when I see it

Well, I agree. At least about the believing it when I see it, but I guess it is "official".

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...d_stylish.html
Old 05-22-2014, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jatp
Well, I agree. At least about the believing it when I see it, but I guess it is "official".

https://www.audi-mediaservices.com/p...d_stylish.html
Doesn't mention the US or a carrier though.
Let's leave this for another thread.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stop start feature