Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheNit
Now that I have my A6, I'm reading the MMI manual and it says that VBR will work but it may not calculate/display the proper "time left" on the song. I'm not sure I want to convert all of my MP3's to 320 CBR just because of this although there is apparently a program MP3Packer that will do the conversion from VBR to CBR without affecting the quality (no re-encoding).
Have you noticed this "time" issue?
Pretty much all of my music is VBR MP3 files. I noticed that some songs had the faulty time issue (the indicated track length was pretty much double the actual length). I ran all my songs through Foobar2000, using the Utilities-->Fix VBR MP3 Header function. Worked like a charm. Fast and free.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a longer version of the red grommet cable? Are you aware of a supplier who sells one that is at least twice as long?

Thanks!!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgard58
What about a longer version of the red grommet cable? Are you aware of a supplier who sells one that is at least twice as long?

Thanks!!
AFAIK, this is the only length. However, if you have an iPhone 4s or earlier, you could get a 30 pin extender cable. Be sure it specifies it will play music; many just sync and charge and wont work with the MMI.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Just imported my first wave of music into the Jukebox. I keep my music in Apple Lossless format, so for the Jukebox I converted some music to 320k MP3 CBR.

After the initial import I wanted to report on some findings:

1. Cannot browse by Composer. This is my preferred method of browsing music so this is a real annoyance to me.

2. Album Artist tag field is not utilized. This means that if you have any Albums that are compilations with different Artists for each track, then the Album browser will create multiple copies of every such Album with a duplicate copy for each unique Artist in the track list. And, of course, the Albums in the browser get sorted alphabetically by the Artist so the track order gets jumbled. That's also annoying because everything I listen to is in gapless playback form.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 09-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just took another drive and tried listening to the Jukebox. The Jukebox provides me with no way to browse to an album and play it from the first track, and then have it continue directly through the album in correct order.

I am going to have to delete the Jukebox and load only two tracks on there to confirm if the Jukebox can even play gapless albums at all.

Will report back with findings.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Just took another drive and tried listening to the Jukebox. The Jukebox provides me with no way to browse to an album and play it from the first track, and then have it continue directly through the album in correct order.

I am going to have to delete the Jukebox and load only two tracks on there to confirm if the Jukebox can even play gapless albums at all.

Wow. That would drive me nuts.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Wow. That would drive me nuts.
No kidding. If I can't browse to an Album and start playing it on track 1 and have it play through in correct order, the Jukebox is 100% worthless to me.

Right now, that appears to be the case.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No kidding. If I can't browse to an Album and start playing it on track 1 and have it play through in correct order, the Jukebox is 100% worthless to me.

Right now, that appears to be the case.
Honestly I haven't messed with it because I read a number of threads on the Jukebox here and it sounded more like an afterthought added to the media system. This is only confirms it. It is rather sad because it isn't that difficult to implement and makes a world of the difference in sound. Atleast when you have a decent system installed.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's because you always have to select an artist first, then the album. You can't go straight to an album. As you already wrote, if there are multiple artists on an album, then it will be divided up and listed under each separate artist first, and then you won't be able to select the whole album.

You may be better off leaving the files on the SD card. That way you can control the folder structure and how you browse the files. I believe you can also create playlists on an SD card as well (make sure you use relative paths so that they are correct for the SD card).

Gapless playback is not supported.

The MMI does not read the Album Artist or Composer tags.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

As pointed out by newmoon, you can play an album in order on the Jukebox it you select the artist first, then the album; alternatively, you can go directly to an album in the Album Browser.

Two features found on the Jukebox and not on an SD card are the aforementioned Album Browser which also displays larger album art and global random play of all songs (which "sticks" when the car is turned off). The SD card can only randomize an album and random play selection defaults to "off" when the car is turned off.

Finally, for those with huge libraries, utilizing the Jukebox adds about 20gb more capacity to the two 32GB SDHC cards for a total of roughly 84GB of on board music and video file storage (without having to switch cards).

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized