Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I had that issue occasionally until I updated to iOS 7. Hasn't happened since. If your Touch supports it, try updating.
Unfortunately, i'm told the iPod touch 4G doesn't support ios 7. Ugh.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

iOS tidbit: it appears one must have at least ONE song for MMI to allow playback of EITHER Music or Videos on the iDevice... all videos and no songs results in the "No playable media..." error.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
b) When you see what I'm working on, I think you will like it

Well to be more clear, I need video out from an iDevice with BT LE, and from what I find, I need MMI to play videos from that device before I can get to the next step.

I'm probably 95% there but am stuck using my only iPhone4S until/unless I can get the iPodTouch 5th gen working
I've mostly abandoned the iPod Touch 5th gen and gotten a cast-off iPhone4S.... Here's the initial result

(Sorry for the crappy picture!)
Old 09-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks OP!
As a new owner of a 2015 A6 Premium Plus, and never owning an Audi before, this is good info.
To be honest, though, it will probably take me a year to figure all of this out
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've mostly abandoned the iPod Touch 5th gen and gotten a cast-off iPhone4S.... Here's the initial result

(Sorry for the crappy picture!)
How u do dat?
Old 10-22-2014, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, the AMI connection from an iDevice is analog, but as you implied, who the heck expects audiophile quality from an iDevice???? Put the same file on an SD or USB flash drive and I imagine the quality goes up - but then I go back to my obvious audio preferences
If it's a lossless audio file with a digital interface throughout, the device is irrelevant - USB stick, SD card, iPhone, doesn't matter. We got on this discussion because Audi frustratingly converts iDevice's signal (or anything connected via MMI, which, let's face it, 95+% of people are using to listen to music in their Audi's) to analog. It's unnecessary and ancient tech, particularly when BMW offers a direct digital link and has done so for years. The lack of at least a rudimentary 5 or 7 band EQ just makes it worse.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Personally, I say that having a good-quality lossless file is way more important than avoiding a round of D/A conversion and back. Yes, in theory fewer D/A conversions is better, but more sound quality is lost by compressing to MP3 than by going through a D/A converter a dozen times or more. You're far better off using an Apple Lossless file via an iPod/iPhone than using the same file as an MP3. (Please note: This assumes the lossless file is created from a solid origin. You can't just take an MP3 and convert it to lossless and expect to gain quality back. You must start with a full-quality original source, and use a good ripping program like XLD which can verify a bit-perfect rip)
I record a lot of my own music, and do it in 24 bit 48kHz, which is the max resolution for iPod/iPhone.
Completely agree (and a very informative post in general - thanks for that)!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

The part that is most annoying is that the Audi MMI does not support ANY lossless formats. None. Not one. Not even WAV, which is just shocking.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

A guy on Motor-Talk.de (MMI Navi Plus und AMI : Audi A6 4G) reports that the MMI/AMI in the A6/4G facelift will support full connectivity to iOS devices via USB and does not require specific AMI cables anymore. Not much details yet but it looks interesting and could be the first step to support CarPlay via MMI/AMI.
Old 12-18-2014, 03:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Quick question, although I think I already know the answer in no....

Is there an AMI cable with HDMI input?
Old 12-18-2014, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
Quick question, although I think I already know the answer in no....

Is there an AMI cable with HDMI input?
No.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized