Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmataya
Nope! Just came in from my car - shuffle (if it stays on) on my iPod is album only.
I don't know if it's because you have an older iPod that's not compatible or which MMI system you have, but I can confirm my 3Gs acting as an iPod with MMI 0566 or later (I now have 0715-2) will randomize tracks or albums.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on my previous car, a 2011 GTi, it would global shuffle my iPod, this MMI will not.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I could check with my iphone, hmm where can i plug in a USB?.....
Old 01-20-2015, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by kenmataya
I could check with my iphone, hmm where can i plug in a USB?.....
We're talking using an AMI cable here. Also, you have not said which iPod you have. Or which MMI version.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

the MMI is 2014, its an old iPod, but again it would global shuffle in my GTi.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You guys seem to know the Audi AMI/MMI from top to bottom so maybe you can answer my question since I couldn't find an answer anywhere else...

I looking to purchase a new 2015 Audi A3 with B&O. I want to play music through my iPhone by streaming it from Tidal (it's like Spotify but offers CD quality streaming, check http://tidalhifi.com).

I know that if I connect my iPhone via AMI Lightning cable there's is a lot of back and forth digital to analog to digital conversions in which I lose a lot of the CD quality.

My question is that if I first connect my iPhone to an external DAC (e.g. Apogee ONE, Audiophile quality music in your car - Apogee ONE DAC) and then connect it to the standard AUX IN, will the signal remain ANALOG all the way from the external DAC to the amplifier or will there be AD/DA conversions along the way?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Old 01-29-2015, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by finnisher
I know that if I connect my iPhone via AMI Lightning cable there's is a lot of back and forth digital to analog to digital conversions in which I lose a lot of the CD quality.

My question is that if I first connect my iPhone to an external DAC (e.g. Apogee ONE, Audiophile quality music in your car - Apogee ONE DAC) and then connect it to the standard AUX IN, will the signal remain ANALOG all the way from the external DAC to the amplifier or will there be AD/DA conversions along the way?

Thanks a lot in advance!
That Apogee piece is very similar to something I was using in my car for a while, called an iStreamer 12V. It's an outboard DAC for Apple iDevices that bypasses the internal DAC and outputs a high-quality, jitter-free, analog signal.

The only major difference I can see is that the Apogee device you linked above has a volume control. The iStreamer did not have any controls to fiddle with. It just outputs a fixed signal, and then you use the volume control on the MMI just like normal.

To address your question, yes.... that DAC will certainly work if you have the AMI adapter with RCA audio inputs. Whether or not it will sound better than the direct iPod connection is not certain.

Lastly, as I am sure you are aware, you will lose the operational control of the device from the MMI. So you must operate the iPhone or iPod on the device itself if you are using an outboard DAC.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by finnisher
You guys seem to know the Audi AMI/MMI from top to bottom so maybe you can answer my question since I couldn't find an answer anywhere else...

I looking to purchase a new 2015 Audi A3 with B&O. I want to play music through my iPhone by streaming it from Tidal (it's like Spotify but offers CD quality streaming, check http://tidalhifi.com).

Thanks a lot in advance!
IMO, it would be much simpler to stream your app from the iPhone via the car's bluetooth audio feature. Since you are planning to get the B&O, the music will remain in the digital domain from the source all the way to the car's amplifiers via the MOST transport system. For your music files, the best performance will be to transfer them to an SD card as they too, will remain in the digital domain. Further benefits will be MMI view and control of both sources which I doubt would be possible with the arrangement you describe.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Two MMI related questions:

1) Any idea why the playback time might not work in 2012 A6 2.0T Premium when connected via Bluetooth to iPhone 5 and playing slacker radio? Everything else works on the display (artist/track/album). I was in a Q5 for a couple days and it all worked fine in that vehicle so I'm guessing it some glitch with the MMI as opposed to the phone/Bluetooth/music app.

2) if I shut the car off, and then turn back on, the entire media display stops functioning, no longer showing me the artist/track/album information, although it continues to play the music through above mentioned music app. Any thoughts why this happens?

Thank you!
Old 01-31-2015, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by adresearcher
Two MMI related questions:

1) Any idea why the playback time might not work in 2012 A6 2.0T Premium when connected via Bluetooth to iPhone 5 and playing slacker radio? Everything else works on the display (artist/track/album). I was in a Q5 for a couple days and it all worked fine in that vehicle so I'm guessing it some glitch with the MMI as opposed to the phone/Bluetooth/music app.

2) if I shut the car off, and then turn back on, the entire media display stops functioning, no longer showing me the artist/track/album information, although it continues to play the music through above mentioned music app. Any thoughts why this happens?

Thank you!
There was no 2012 A6 C7 2.0 in the US, so I suppose you are from a different region. In either case, check the MMI version, the early ones were pretty buggy.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized