Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 01:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

MMI Entertainment Options Summarized

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A6 with iPhone6/6P

I am sure this has been covered many times. I have been readying multiple pages so far. Just want to confirm before I order the cable needed.

1. I would like to enable VIM and use my iPhone6P on it. (I read I need follow the instruction from "How to enable VIM with Vag-Com:
AudiEnthusiasts Master"

2. The cable I need would be 4F0 051 510-AL. ( Can I use an lightning extension on this since the cable harness is short?)

Any help with confirming this would be great.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There are some reports that even the latest the AMI Lightning cable (yellow grommet "L" version) does not pass video, even though it it is supposed to do so. Could be hit or miss depending on MMI version and/or iPhone model and/or iOS version. Audio and cover art should be no problem with any combination.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I have no problem playing video from an SD card or my iPhone with my 2013 A6 so long as I follow my manual specs. I'm not sure about the new MMI in the MY2016. I assume when you're trying the videos the car is either stationary or you have VIM activated.
You might want to start a new thread with your question to perhaps attract more replies.
Snagit, thanks for compiling all this information! Two questions remain.

1. You list AMI and BT streaming quality as equal in your opinion. Is this still the case, even with newer iPhones such as 6 or 6S? I would think the hardwired AMI is superior to BT.
2. With the iPhone 6S, if I acquire a lightning AMI cable, will Album Art transmit to the MMI if I am streaming from Spotify or Pandora?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by hubris

1. You list AMI and BT streaming quality as equal in your opinion. Is this still the case, even with newer iPhones such as 6 or 6S? I would think the hardwired AMI is superior to BT.
2. With the iPhone 6S, if I acquire a lightning AMI cable, will Album Art transmit to the MMI if I am streaming from Spotify or Pandora?
Sorry, cannot find an edit button - also wondering if it is possible to stream album art from Pandora/Spotify using an Android device, with an AMI cable? This is on a MY2014 S6. It definitely will not show album art from BT streaming. I know the MY2016s have album art on BT streaming from Gracenote.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hubris

1. The difference is small and not up to the quality of SD cards or the Jukebox but I still hear an improvement streaming the iPhone 6s native music app with AMI. Others with different ears may disagree. I can't speak to Pandora or Spotify as I almost never use them. For casual listening, I use an old iPhone on the AMI and SD cards/Jukebox if I want to get serious. I'll stream from my 6s if I have a song on the phone but not yet copied to one of my SD cards.

2. I believe with Bluetooth audio streaming from any source, there is no album art available on the MMI (at least on my 2013 A6), only the phone itself. If that's incorrect or to answer your Android question, someone else can chime in. I'm strictly an Apple guy.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

1. The difference is small and not up to the quality of SD cards or the Jukebox but I still hear an improvement streaming the iPhone 6s native music app with AMI. Others with different ears may disagree. I can't speak to Pandora or Spotify as I almost never use them. For casual listening, I use an old iPhone on the AMI and SD cards/Jukebox if I want to get serious. I'll stream from my 6s if I have a song on the phone but not yet copied to one of my SD cards.

2. I believe with Bluetooth audio streaming from any source, there is no album art available on the MMI (at least on my 2013 A6), only the phone itself. If that's incorrect or to answer your Android question, someone else can chime in. I'm strictly an Apple guy.
Thanks very much for the quick response! Can you try streaming a song from Pandora or Spotify using AMI just to humor me and see if Album Art shows up? This is a dealbreaker for me. I really like the AA feature and it will determine whether or not I get an iPhone 6S or Galaxy S6 next.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, like I wrote, I don't use 'em and the apps are not even on my phone. I'm sure there are a lot of other folks who do that can answer your question. Not sure why it's a deal breaker. It's just a picture of the album cover - you still get the title and artist.

UPDATE: Ok, I downloaded Pandors and tried Bluetooth streaming. I get no album art using that app nor streaming iTunes songs from my iPhone 6s.

Last edited by snagitseven; 02-15-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, like I wrote, I don't use 'em and the apps are not even on my phone. I'm sure there are a lot of other folks who do that can answer your question.
Ok, thanks. Anyone here that has an iPhone with lightning cable to AMI, please let me know if you see album art when streaming from Pandora or Spotify (while using AMI cable). The cable is very expensive so I would rather find out from a member here before shelling out $100 for a cable that may or may not work.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for all of the excellent information in these 40 pages (yikes)! Has anyone had success importing CDs directly to Jukebox? Would album art be included? I tried to enable this with VCDS the other day but was not successful.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by tutone
Thanks for all of the excellent information in these 40 pages (yikes)! Has anyone had success importing CDs directly to Jukebox? Would album art be included? I tried to enable this with VCDS the other day but was not successful.

Loading CDs into the jukebox is easy and album art is imported as well.

Quick Reply: MMI Entertainment Options Summarized