Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

MMI update fee

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI update fee

Hello,

I was wondering what the fee is to update the MMI firmware. I tried doing a search in the forum and some seemed to mention it was free and some mentioned they had to pay for it.

Basing on anyone's experiences, can you request for an update (even if it is free)? Do they automatically update it as long as you are under warranty? Must there be a previous/related issue for them to actually do an update?

Thanks as usual for your help!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fcd
Hello,

I was wondering what the fee is to update the MMI firmware. I tried doing a search in the forum and some seemed to mention it was free and some mentioned they had to pay for it.

Basing on anyone's experiences, can you request for an update (even if it is free)? Do they automatically update it as long as you are under warranty? Must there be a previous/related issue for them to actually do an update?

My dealer said they update the cars software at every service interval. I don't know if all dealerships do this or not though.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcd
Hello,

I requested and got denied. I tried to use problems to get the update also denied. Last problem finally led them update it for free for me. I offered to pay for it and they denied that too. I doubt dealers update it at every service since Audi wouldn't pay them for that unless they're faking problems to get warranty work done
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fcd
Hello,

I am having few problems with MMI and I called AOA. So I got a phone call from my dealer and I am bringing my vehicle this Sat. I will keep you posted.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

If there is a TSB that says apply update xyz then AoA will cover any follow up issue (i.e. head unit goes dead after firmware update and needs to be replaced). If the dealer just applies an update then he (or the customer) may be responsible for follow up issues or costs. So, unless you know the dealer very well, you may not get an update unless there is an issue.

Right now it's easy though, the HD radio issue and intermittend rear view camera freezes are both covered by TSBs and will allow the dealer to install the most recent MMI update.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

For the US spec....what is the latest update?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mannya4
For the US spec....what is the latest update?
Its 0566. I got it a few days ago on MY12.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

did it wipe off the vag-com? how did you get the update? was it because of the mmi?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mannya4
did it wipe off the vag-com? how did you get the update? was it because of the mmi?
I took the car in for the 5K service and told them to update and check everything on it and for my surprise when I got the car back it was updated. No VAG-com changes have been lost everything still works as it was.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM
fcd
AudiWorld Member

I was recently at the dealer and they apparently did 2 software updates re: transmission/engine and power steering. I asked if they could do an MMI update and he told me "you have the latest and greatest..." lol. I asked him about the 2013 MY and that they should have a newer version but he said I had the latest. I know I don't have the latest as mine is MY2012. Either their service department is behind the times or he was fibbing...

Would it be in their best interest if they don't regularly update the MMI (even if it's under warranty)? To generate profits perhaps?

Quick Reply: MMI update fee