Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

mObridge DA1 preamp for A6/S6

Old 02-28-2015, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default mObridge DA1 preamp for A6/S6

Hi everyone. I wanted to post this review of the mObridge DA1 preamp which I recently installed in my 2013 S6. It is working perfectly, and solves a major issue when it comes to upgrading the audio in our cars.

A little background...

mObridge is a company which develops integrated audio solutions for vehicles equipped with the MOST fiber-optic system. i.e. VW, Audi, Porsche, Merc, Land Rover.

The DA1 preamp allows you to intercept the audio signal from the MMI before it arrives at the factory amplifier. In my car, that was the Bose amplifier, but this device will also work on the B&O or any other system that has MOST.
The signal is intercepted while still in the digital domain, and then the DA1 provides a standard Optical Digital stereo output which can feed an aftermarket DSP or amplifier. The result is a clean, digital signal while keeping the MMI system fully intact and operational.

Installation is dead simple. The DA1 simply requires a power and ground wire, and then you unplug the MOST wire harness from the OEM amplifier and plug it directly into the DA1. That's it. No cutting of factory wires or anything. It's basically Plug n Play.

Reversing back to stock is as simple as plugging the MOST harness back into the factory amp.

It comes with a bypass switch for when you service the car, so that the Audi dealer's computer won't detect a foreign device in the MOST ring. Personally, I plan to just reconnect my Bose amp when I get serviced.

Why would someone want one of these?
Well, there are several good reasons:

1. You can add an aftermarket audio system while keeping the MMI system fully operational.

2. You get a clean, digital signal out of the MMI.

3. You bypass the OEM audio processing and amplifiers. That means your signal is cleaner.

4. You bypass the noise cancellation microphones since they connect the OEM amplifier.

And here is the proof. Before I added the mObridge DA1 to my car, I had already added a complete audio system upgrade using an Audison BitOne DSP as the hub. I was feeding my BitOne directly from the Bose factory amplifier by disconnecting the speaker wires and running them into the BitOne. This solution works, but as you can see in the testing shown below, it is a less ideal solution.

When I previously had the Bose amplifier feeding my DSP, I decided to test the frequency response of the Bose amp outputs directly (without speakers) just to see how the engineers were altering the audio signal. It is very common for factory audio systems to have Equalization applied to make the system sound better in that particular car. This is all well and good when you leave the factory stereo alone, but if you want to upgrade then it's better to have a very flat response to work with.

Here is a look at what the Bose amp in my S6 was doing with the frequency response.

Just FYI - In a perfect scenario that graph should be a flat, horizontal line.
So obviously, the Bose system is applying a heck of a lot of equalization to the signal. Keep in mind, this is NOT a measurement of what comes out of the speakers. It's a direct measurement of the signal coming out of the amplifier. The Bose speakers with that curve applied might be absolutely perfect sounding. But that's not the purpose of this test. It's to see what kind of signal we can extract from the car so that we can add aftermarket audio equipment. So that graph above shows a heavily uneven frequency response, which is not good.

Now that I have the mObridge DA1 installed, I took the same measurement by running an optical cable out of the DA1 and into my sound card. Here is the same test sweep, but the Bose amplifier has now been disconnected and is no longer processing the audio signal.

Like I said, a perfect measurement should be a flat line. So this is really good! A huge improvement.

Who is this for?
Anyone wanting to do a full audio system upgrade to their MOST-equipped car. I highlighted "full audio system" because that's the only caveat. Once you disconnect the factory amplifier the factory speakers will no longer work, so you will have to add your own aftermarket amplifier(s) and speakers. So people looking to just add a subwoofer to the factory system will not be able to use the DA1.

But for those of you who do want a full system upgrade, this is one of the best options available as long as your car is compatible with it. Fortunately for us, it is compatible with the MMI3G equipped C7 A6/S6.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:54 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

What does this do to the ANC in the S6?
Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It bypasses it completely because the ANC microphones all connect to the OEM amplifier. The OEM amp is disconnected from the MOST ring.

In fact, in my car when I disconnected the Bose amplifier, the MMI reverted to the GALA system. The Bose AudioPilot and DSP settings in the MMI totally disappeared, and it now shows the GALA menu options.

It's as if the car was reprogrammed without the ANC at all.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 02-28-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
It bypasses it completely because the ANC microphones all connect to the OEM amplifier. The OEM amp is disconnected from the MOST ring.

In fact, in my car when I disconnected the Bose amplifier, the MMI reverted to the GALA system. The Bose AudioPilot and DSP settings in the MMI totally disappeared, and it now shows the GALA menu options.

It's as if the car was reprogrammed without the ANC at all.
And no noticeable difference when the car switches to 4-cylinder mode without ANC?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There was no noticeable difference in my old system WITH the Bose amp connected to my processor, and the ANC technically still connected and active.

So, yes.... there is currently no difference in 4 cylinder mode.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
There was no noticeable difference in my old system WITH the Bose amp connected to my processor, and the ANC technically still connected and active.

So, yes.... there is currently no difference in 4 cylinder mode.
That is surprising to hear. (Pun intended) Why would Audi put so much effort into designing ANC for it to make no difference at all when disabled? I mean why have the system at all then? I'd like to think it does something...
Old 03-01-2015, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I think a lot of these features are more about marketing than any practical benefit.

An example, the B&O motorized tweeter lenses.

Or on the BMW M5, how they play the engine sound through the stereo.
Absolutely kills the ability to do proper audio.

Sometimes people like to over-engineer things.
Like the old joke about NASA spending millions to develop a pen that writes in space, while the Russians just used the pencil.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:11 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Hmmm...that's not been my experience. In my experiences with Audi and many German manufacturers in general they rarely engineer something for no purpose, or just marketing. (B&O, as you know, is Danish 😀 )

In all fairness the S6 plays the motor through the speakers as well and while it may be a less functional piece of tech you can definitely tell if it is working or not.

It's just very hard to understand with all your audio knowledge and measuring equipment you don't have a quantifiable analysis of ANC. I think you would surely be the one capable of doing just that. I know it may be subjective from one person to the next that they may not notice any benefits from ANC but I'm sure the engineers at Audi put more into it than just marketing hype.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Perhaps it is possible that the strange dip in response at 200Hz on the above graph was caused by the ANC? I'm not inclined to think that, however, because that measurement was taken without the engine running.

There was a demo video on this site somewhere with some Audi engineers demonstrating the ANC system. They had a button they could press to turn it on or off. But on the video it was impossible to hear any difference. The people seemed to be nodding yes, but I didn't see any body language indicating some eureka moment from them. My impression was that if it does work, then it was certainly a very subtle effect.

Measuring while the car is moving at highway speed might be possible, but not easy.
The sound card needs A/C power, and the mObridge preamp is in the trunk. My subwoofer enclosure has sealed off the folding seat access, so I would have to run an Optical cable out of the trunk and in through a window or sunroof. Then I would need someone to drive while I take measurements. I doubt my wife would be convinced to spend even a moment of her time with that pursuit.

Although, it is probably too late for me to perform that test because I don't have the Bose outputs connected to my DSP anymore. While I could test what is happening now with the mObridge, I wouldn't have the original config measurements for comparison.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:08 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Yep I saw the same video. Unfortunately as you said it's almost impossible to discern anything over YouTube audio.

When I have some time I'll have to see if it is possible to VCDS disable ANC to see if I can notice any difference on my stock system.

Honestly it is good to know that you did not experience any discernible difference completely disabling ANC and installing aftermarket as I was always curious how it would affect an aftermarket install. Perhaps the ANC is only truly effective in very few specific scenarios and only noticed by certain people.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mObridge DA1 preamp for A6/S6