Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Model code decipher...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model code decipher...

Question from a new owner and forum newbie. I have managed to figure out most of the Audi codes on the trunk sticker based upon forum and web search, but one remains a mystery that perhaps someone has some insight on. I have a Canadian 2012 A6 3.0 TFSI Quattro.

When I run a VIN check, the engine code that comes back is 4G2X1A, which seems to line up with the first part of the sticker code, however instead of X1A, I have 51A. I am wondering if this is a region-specific code for Canada that I have not run into ? As well, any idea what "1612944" would be ? Perhaps just a serial number ? Thanks for any suggestions :-)

Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Look at the fourth line down. "CGXB" is your engine code. The fifth slot on your VIN should be the letter "G".
Old 12-01-2016, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I did a bit of research around the internet and I, think, you are correct about the code "X1A" being a Canadian market code vs. "51A" being US market code.

In this 2012 Audi A6 Canada Order Guide, it did specify that the code for your A6 Premium Plus trim level is 4G2 X1A. However, in this 2012 Audi US Order Guide, it specifies the code for all A6 trim levels as "4G2 51A".

What I suspect is that Canadian vehicles are built based on the US model code. The base product is still the same. However, there are some options that will be different between these two markets. That is probably why Canada is coded "X1A" instead of "51A". Just my guess based on what I have found...

In addition, if you look at page 2 of the 2012 Audi US Order Guide, it identifies "4G25" as the Engine Body Code and "1" as the Engine Code. I am not sure why they're identified as such. One thing is for sure, the Chassis Code is "4G2" and the Trim Level code is "51A" or X1A". Combined, it is identified as the Production Model Number and Model Identification Number.

I have no clue on the series of numbers to the right of the Production Model Number.

Last edited by plat27265; 12-01-2016 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank-you for both of the replies. Based upon what else I have seen, I believe it is quite possible that X1A and 51A may be simple differences in the model and feature coding between the US and Canada. Interesting then that the VIN search would identify it as a Canadian import, yet the actual vehicle suggests it was a US import. Perhaps it was tagged in the US and then moved up to Canada to be sold be one of our dealers.

Originally Posted by plat27265
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I did a bit of research around the internet and I, think, you are correct about the code "X1A" being a Canadian market code vs. "51A" being US market code.

In this 2012 Audi A6 Canada Order Guide, it did specify that the code for your A6 Premium Plus trim level is 4G2 X1A. However, in this 2012 Audi US Order Guide, it specifies the code for all A6 trim levels as "4G2 51A".

What I suspect is that Canadian vehicles are built based on the US model code. The base product is still the same. However, there are some options that will be different between these two markets. That is probably why Canada is coded "X1A" instead of "51A". Just my guess based on what I have found...

In addition, if you look at page 2 of the 2012 Audi US Order Guide, it identifies "4G25" as the Engine Body Code and "1" as the Engine Code. I am not sure why they're identified as such. One thing is for sure, the Chassis Code is "4G2" and the Trim Level code is "51A" or X1A". Combined, it is identified as the Production Model Number and Model Identification Number.

I have no clue on the series of numbers to the right of the Production Model Number.
Old 12-01-2016, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by santoku
Thank-you for both of the replies. Based upon what else I have seen, I believe it is quite possible that X1A and 51A may be simple differences in the model and feature coding between the US and Canada. Interesting then that the VIN search would identify it as a Canadian import, yet the actual vehicle suggests it was a US import. Perhaps it was tagged in the US and then moved up to Canada to be sold be one of our dealers.

I will have to try to connect with some local Audi folks to compare stickers ;-) Thank-you very much for the input !
Same thing when I enter my S5's VIN in the VIN decoder. It shows my S5's Manufacturer's model code as 8T3 X4Y. However, in my PR Build Sticker, it says 8T3 54Y. You may be right. The car might have registered under Audi of America first before it got assigned to the Canadian market. Why do I say this? Because when I first got my car's VIN (after production, while in transit), I used it to gain access to Audi of Amercia's Online User Manual website. Then, after it arrived in Canada and I took possession of it, the website would no longer allow me to access the manuals. It was telling me that the VIN I entered is a Canadian market vehicle.