Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

2014 A6 rear end clunk

Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 A6 rear end clunk

I purchased a 2014 A6 (CPO) late November last year with 44k miles. I like the car enough but it has a rear end clunk when going over bumpy roads or uneven pavement which is going to drive me nuts or to trade the car and lose $$. I've taken the car back to the dealer twice for this issue and went on test drives with the service manager who was able to replicate the sound both times. The first time they put the car in the shop and tightened and inspected various suspension bolts, etc. and returned the car to me indicating they had dealt with it; they didn't fix it. Brought the car back a couple of weeks later and went on a second drive with the same service manager, replicated the sound but this time he told me that it was "normal". I'm not a mechanic but I know what's normal and what's not and this sound is not normal and only comes from the right rear of the car. Sounds like something is loose in the trunk.
I'm frustrated and the sound has become somewhat of an obsessive annoyance to me. I'm thinking my next step is to contact Audi customer support; the car is under the CPO warranty until Nov. of this year. I'm also beginning to think this particular service manager doesn't know what he's talking about as at one point he made a comment that "the CPO warranty only covers the drive train of the vehicle".
Anyone have any ideas or should I just get rid of the car?
Old 01-11-2019, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DenCal
I purchased a 2014 A6 (CPO) late November last year with 44k miles. I like the car enough but it has a rear end clunk when going over bumpy roads or uneven pavement which is going to drive me nuts or to trade the car and lose $$. I've taken the car back to the dealer twice for this issue and went on test drives with the service manager who was able to replicate the sound both times. The first time they put the car in the shop and tightened and inspected various suspension bolts, etc. and returned the car to me indicating they had dealt with it; they didn't fix it. Brought the car back a couple of weeks later and went on a second drive with the same service manager, replicated the sound but this time he told me that it was "normal". I'm not a mechanic but I know what's normal and what's not and this sound is not normal and only comes from the right rear of the car. Sounds like something is loose in the trunk.
I'm frustrated and the sound has become somewhat of an obsessive annoyance to me. I'm thinking my next step is to contact Audi customer support; the car is under the CPO warranty until Nov. of this year. I'm also beginning to think this particular service manager doesn't know what he's talking about as at one point he made a comment that "the CPO warranty only covers the drive train of the vehicle".
Anyone have any ideas or should I just get rid of the car?
If nothing is outright broken then something is loose or worn. The dealer your going to sounds incompetent or unwilling to work with you. I would go to another dealer in your area if you have one. I know it's CPO vehicle but you could also try an independent shop that specializes in these vehicles. I cannot imagine this issue not solvable. Good luck!
Old 01-15-2019, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its likely the exhaust, at least in my experience. Since I put on my AWE exhaust I have been having a similar issue. No fault of AWE, just a poor exhaust design by Audi (should have had another hanger towards the rear of the car). Have them get the car up on the lift!!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our cars come with a spare donut tire and a jack underneath the trunk. Check to make sure they haven't come loose. The spare tire has a hand sized screw and sits on top of a foam piece, while the jack should be secured with velcro straps. It's possible they might have come loose and are bouncing around.