Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Moving water sounds

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving water sounds

Hi all,

It has been raining non-stop for the past two days in NJ and I am beginning to notice sounds of water moving from the rear driver side of my 12 PRESTIGE A6. Every time I brake I hear the swoosh woosh sound of water moving like in a bucket. I checked the trunk and the spare tire compartment, I could but did not find any water. Any idea where this water or whatever else could be. I have not heard this sound before this heavy rainfall.

Thanks,
Jake.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you check the carpet, particularly in the back seating area to see if it is wet? Do you hear the sound opening and closing the doors? Can you hear the sound with the radio on, in other words is it loud?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake169
Hi all,

It has been raining non-stop for the past two days in NJ and I am beginning to notice sounds of water moving from the rear driver side of my 12 PRESTIGE A6. Every time I brake I hear the swoosh woosh sound of water moving like in a bucket. I checked the trunk and the spare tire compartment, I could but did not find any water. Any idea where this water or whatever else could be. I have not heard this sound before this heavy rainfall.

Thanks,
Jake.
I have this same noise and I'm in california where it doesn't really rain anymore.

I always associated it with either the gas tank or adblue (I have the TDI) tank as in my case is absolutely sounds like liquid going from one cavity to another. Its most notable for me when making a hard turn after getting off the freeway.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the rear door. Sometimes the drains at the bottom of the door can get clogged and they can hold water.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
I have this same noise and I'm in california where it doesn't really rain anymore.

I always associated it with either the gas tank or adblue (I have the TDI) tank as in my case is absolutely sounds like liquid going from one cavity to another. Its most notable for me when making a hard turn after getting off the freeway.
I doubt it's the fuel tank as it baffled to prevent this. I have never heard a sound anything like this in my 3.0T. As to the Ad blue tank, I obviously can't speak to that.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I doubt it's the fuel tank as it baffled to prevent this. I have never heard a sound anything like this in my 3.0T. As to the Ad blue tank, I obviously can't speak to that.
Interesting. Well, it pretty much does it every day when I'm driving home. Pretty much remember it since the day I got the car, didn't really concern me much.

Anyways, hard left turn, sounds like a waterfall between the center arm rest and the rear seats. Immediately stops after the turn is completed. Its definitely not the doors, I have two kids jumping in and out of the backseats frequently and those are light, solid sounding.

Sounds like its time for a science experiment to test the fuel/adblue theory. Just filled up diesel this AM, so lets see if it magically disappears tonight. If not, I have 2.5 gallons of adblue. I'll top that off and see if it magically disappears tomorrow.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a Touareg TDI and I can hear the adblue tank sloshing sometimes if it is partially full.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure where the sound is coming from but it seems like there is at least about half a gallon of liquid moving around in a 5 gallon bucket.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jake169
I am not sure where the sound is coming from but it seems like there is at least about half a gallon of liquid moving around in a 5 gallon bucket.
Check the suggestions above and report back what you find.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Where is the sunroof drain in the C7?

Quick Reply: Moving water sounds