Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

My Audi Care Primer and Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely fantastic post. Thanks for doing this!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Absolutely fantastic post. Thanks for doing this!
You're very welcome. I enjoy doing these kinds of summary posts and sharing the info I've learned through my and other folks' experiences. Also, now that I'm retired, I have extra time on my hands.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I got my Audi, as with other dealerships, you can negotiate maintenance services at that dealership. So while I got a decent deal, I also got maintenance covered through the 35K miles.

Prior vehicle (Nissan) offered 20 oil changes as part of the soft dollars.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
Can you add a summary of the items included? Something like:

15,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter

25,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- brake fluid change (every 2 years)

35,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- cabin air filter
- 2.0T and S6: spark plug change
- S6: engine air filter
- CVT and S Tronic DSG: transmission fluid change, DSG also has a filter change

45,000 miles
- oil and filter change
- brake fluid change (every 2 years)

If you do just these items, at an independent shop or even at the dealer, the cost will be as low as possible.

Part of the expense if you get maintenance done at the dealer is paying for labor to INSPECT certain parts. In my humble opinion, this is where they rip you off. Most are just simple exterior checks, which they sometimes do for free, even if you just bring your car in for an oil change. They like this because if they find something, they can bill the repair work under the new car warranty.
So, to summarize above for $820 (or whatever the current cost of AudiCare is) you'll get 4 oil changes, 2 brake fluid changes, one air filter, one pollen filter. That's it? If you have A6 3.0T, then neither the spark plugs, nor the tranny fluid will be changed, am I wrong? I agree that the checks are BS. If you go to a dealer and ask them to check out some problem, they will do it. So, 4 oil changes (conservatively $400), 2 break fluid changes($240), pollen filter ($50), air filter ($50) = $740. I admit the prices are very approximate and are based on my experience with BMW 3-series. If they are claiming 30-35% savings, then the checks alone should costs $430 (820/0.70 - 740). Wow.

I tend not to believe the dealer when they say something is 30% discounted or whatever. I have 11.5K miles on my A6 and am wondering if the AC is worth it. Can someone help me figure it out or had experience with the cost of the services above?
Old 03-18-2013, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What I said in my thread starter post I believe is pretty accurate; the savings stated is from Audi in their Audi Care material based on what the service depts. charge for the four scheduled services. It's a simple thing to ask the service manager what they charge for each to verify. If you feel what the dealer charges is unreasonable, that's really besides the point - it is what it is if you have them do the maintenance.

Quality Indy shops will be less than the dealer but their charges vary and can end up being close to the Audi Care cost over the years without the convenience of a one stop shop for maintenance, warranty items and any necessary software updates. (As a side note, I would never trust a "quick lube" or run of the mill franchise shop with my Audi).

Finally, for the least expensive option, there is always the DIY route which I suspect, most owners will have little desire to perform. Each of the three options has their advantages and each owner will decide what's best for them.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Is the Audi care available for for CPO vehicles? Is there any other type of maintenance plan for certified cars? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sparks1
Is the Audi care available for for CPO vehicles? Is there any other type of maintenance plan for certified cars? Thanks in advance!
It is! I just bought it with my CPO car.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokingTires
So, to summarize above for $820 (or whatever the current cost of AudiCare is) you'll get 4 oil changes, 2 brake fluid changes, one air filter, one pollen filter. That's it? If you have A6 3.0T, then neither the spark plugs, nor the tranny fluid will be changed, am I wrong? I agree that the checks are BS. If you go to a dealer and ask them to check out some problem, they will do it. So, 4 oil changes (conservatively $400), 2 break fluid changes($240), pollen filter ($50), air filter ($50) = $740. I admit the prices are very approximate and are based on my experience with BMW 3-series. If they are claiming 30-35% savings, then the checks alone should costs $430 (820/0.70 - 740). Wow.

I tend not to believe the dealer when they say something is 30% discounted or whatever. I have 11.5K miles on my A6 and am wondering if the AC is worth it. Can someone help me figure it out or had experience with the cost of the services above?
Minor correction is it's two pollen filters and zero engine air filters, but besides that I agree with what you said.

I think I paid about $110 for a brake fluid change on my Lexus at the dealer.

I did buy Audicare because I have a 2.0T and CVT so I get a spark plug change and a tranny fluid change. But for you guys with the 3.0T, I don't think it's worth it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

But for you guys with the 3.0T, I don't think it's worth it.
Possibly, unless the owner is going to have the dealer do the scheduled maintenance anyway, in which case, I'll stand by my cost analysis - Audi Care is less expensive than paying for each service done by the dealer.

There are convenience, qualitative and potential warranty aspects to having the dealer do the services and many owners would prefer to have the dealer go through all the checks, top offs, etc. and any warranty issues addressed in one location. Also, arguably, there is a subjective value to giving the dealer your business when special treatment or extra help is needed (as I've experienced over the years both with and without Audi Care). There's something to be said for forging a tighter dealer service dept. relationship beyond the less frequent vists only when something under warranty is broken.

Dealer, indy shop or DIY - each alternative is an individual value proposition that every owner will evaluate and ultimately choose. There's no 4th option other than doing nothing which most would agree, is not recommended.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Minor correction is it's two pollen filters and zero engine air filters, but besides that I agree with what you said.

I think I paid about $110 for a brake fluid change on my Lexus at the dealer.

I did buy Audicare because I have a 2.0T and CVT so I get a spark plug change and a tranny fluid change. But for you guys with the 3.0T, I don't think it's worth it.
So if the Audi Care is $820, then it's worth it, if you plan to go the dealer for services. Local Audi dealer priced 4 oil changes ($100 each), 2 brake fluid changes ($137 each), 2 pollen filters ($111 each). The total is $896. So, you're saving a little bit upfront, losing some interest income on pre-payment but getting "free" check-ups. All-in-all worth it, if, and only if, you're planning to use a dealer anyway.

Quick Reply: My Audi Care Primer and Analysis