Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Audi Virtual Cockpit

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi Virtual Cockpit

Audi showed off the new Virtual Cockpit, some pretty fancy tech.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/08/a...pit-mmi-video/

While overall I like it, I do actually prefer the current dual screen style approach. If I am driving my passenger can input into the nav or look at nav to give me info without me taking eyes off road, this seems to be a truly driver centric approach. I also like having one thing on the popup MMI display and another screen selected on the MID in dash.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to see more integration into the Hall for the driver and leave the 2nd screen alone. The passenger in my car changes the radio and looks at the NAV alot.

I would also like simpler controls on the steering wheel or the option of changing the programming of some to what I use the most rather than what Audi thinks I do.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 AM
Banned

CNET also has a video on the tech and I think it's too distracting. There's no need for a speedo and tach to move around and change size on you while carving up a mountain road. And the album artwork - nah, that's not distracting at all...

I'd like to see more aircraft tech such as live weather overlay, in addition to more diagnostic data and perhaps utilize the parking and lane assist cameras for a dashcam. Instead, why go on a tangent to integrate "consumer" grade features when I would rather have something specific to the car that actually enhances the ownership experience?

Mercedes has apps now just like BMW. One of the apps allows you to pull up traffic cameras. Sounds cool, but do I really need that? Traffic is traffic and traffic sucks, you know?

Audi Traffic Light Assist looks cool. And it also appears that it could be added to older cars because it's only a software change:
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/09/a...sist-ces-2014/
Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt the speedo and tach are moving around and changing sizes while you're carving up a mountain road, because presumably while you're doing all that carving, you're not fiddling around with displays and what-not. Bottom line is that technology today affords you a lot more functionality that can be useful to the driver while getting from point A to B. All they seem to have done here is move most of that to the dash, allowing the driver to see most of that information while maintaining better visibility of the road. Do you need a lot of that info? Probably not, but for some it falls into the nice-to-have category. My bigger concern is what happens when something in there takes a crap and your entire dash is down pending a service appointment...and lord only knows what it'll cost to repair post-warranty.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Being the old fart that I am, I would rather see car makers focus on reliability, longevity and fuel economy more than these kinds of things. I get used to whatever kinds of displays are there when I get a car, but I never get used to car that has "issues" with components that require a service visit.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, Really? A start button near the driver? who would have thought of that?

Since I picked up my car the one question that is guaranteed to be asked by my friends is "why is this here" - while pointing to the start button near the passenger. While standing at a stop light, one of my friends pressed the button. Panic set in. Pressing the button to restart the car, DIC showed "put the car in park or N" (duh). So all in all, I lost 5-8 seconds. If the light had turned green, people behind me would for sure voice their concerns. What a place to put the ignition switch.

Back on topic, I was recently inside a new Jag (XF or XJ, I can't remember - its a four door stretch) that had a virtual display. I have to say, I was very very impressed with it. Looks very cool. A downside is that if the electronics/screen breaks, good luck knowing how fast you are going, how much fuel, or anything else for that matter.

Sorry for the rant
Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE it. It's available, and HAS been, from other makers for a while (read years). As usual Audi is not the first to get to the party, but everyone know's when they arrive.

The advantage her, depending on the actualy Audi implementation is that you can have less data on the screen, or cycle through more. Also keeps you more focused front and higher than center and lower.

NOT a fan of loosing the 2nd center screen (currently have an A7). There's no reason the passenger can have radio, Audi Connect, or even Navi. Plus I like having different data on different screens available immediately WITHOUT having to cycle through button presses and screens.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
While overall I like it, I do actually prefer the current dual screen style approach. If I am driving my passenger can input into the nav or look at nav to give me info without me taking eyes off road, this seems to be a truly driver centric approach. I also like having one thing on the popup MMI display and another screen selected on the MID in dash.
Although I do like the full screen nav on the new TT, I can't help but enjoy the dual functionality of the C7. It is like multi tasking. Sometimes when I want to just chill on the drive, I actually close the screen and let the center dash do all the work. I see this being great for the TT, but Nav screens have become such the norm in all cars for that matter, that it would be hard to see a sedan without a screen. Just doesn't seem "normal" Whatever that may be these days.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they slapped it over there because of the touchpad, right? It's on the driver's side in my old S4 so I was surprised when I got in and found it on the pax side in the A6, but then the S4 didn't have the touchpad.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremymc7
I LOVE it. It's available, and HAS been, from other makers for a while (read years). As usual Audi is not the first to get to the party, but everyone know's when they arrive.

The advantage her, depending on the actualy Audi implementation is that you can have less data on the screen, or cycle through more. Also keeps you more focused front and higher than center and lower.

NOT a fan of loosing the 2nd center screen (currently have an A7). There's no reason the passenger can have radio, Audi Connect, or even Navi. Plus I like having different data on different screens available immediately WITHOUT having to cycle through button presses and screens.
I'll bet the lack of a second screen is due to space constraints in the TT. You have to think the A6 and A6 would have second screens - third screens if you include the tablet shown in the CNET Audi video.

Quick Reply: Audi Virtual Cockpit