Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 07-13-2016, 10:49 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

My worst fear came true. My 2012 A6 oil consumption killed my catalytic convertor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My worst fear came true. My 2012 A6 oil consumption killed my catalytic convertor

48,000 miles on my 2 year old 2012 A6 prestige and my catalytic convertor already needs replacing. My car had the oil consumption procedure done (there was a service bulletin on the problem) when I was burning about 1 quart every 2,000 miles, I now burn 1 quart per 5,000 miles and it seems to be increasing again but undoubtably the damage was already done. It is a proven fact (posted all over the internet) that excess oil consumption can destroy a cars catalytic convertor and Audi by the necessity of having to issue a service bulletin seems to have more than its share of oil burners. If your car is burning oil or has in the past and you thought it was corrected and you were out of the woods beware, this could be something that you should be concerned about. Spending $65,000 for a car in this day and age you would expect better than problems like this.
Comforting to think the A6 has 2 catalytic convertors and only one will be replaced. Now if one was damaged by the excess oil consumption it only figures that convertor #2 will have also suffered some damage. When will that one set off the dreaded check engine light as well?? Audi of course will pick up the cost of the repair, as by law catalytic convertors are warranted for 80,000 miles but what after that? I usually keep my cars for a couple of hundred thousand miles each but those were all BMWs. Why Oh Why did I ever leave BMW after 25 years and 3 great cars on which I put over 200,000 miles on each of them. What is even more infuriating is that Audi only offered me $29,000 (and it's only 2 years old) for this car if I were to trade it in, even though the car looks to be in perfect condition, Talk about depreciation, that's an insult. I would love to trade it in for a BMW but can't afford the beating. Really bad vibes on this car as to what else the excess oil burning might have caused that will show up in the future so I would love to get rid of it. Really don't know what to do going forward, or am I going backward. BAD SCENE TO SAY THE LEAST! Really want out of this car.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear your story. I don't know why you switched from loyal BMW fan to Audi in the first place. I was a loyal Mercedes fan for the last 22 years before switching to Audi. I was disenfranchised when workmanship and material quality declined. And all Mercedes I owned rust at some point. Not with Audi. I have a ten year old C5 and not a speck of rust. Hope you don't have more problems down the road.
Old 09-06-2014, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sorry hear...and hopefully this was just an isolated incident (the damaged cat) that Audi will take care of and you will have lots of trouble-free miles ahead.
I'm at around the same mileage and my low oil warning just came on for the third time. Car is going in on Tuesday for it's 45K oil change so i will make sure they check for oil consumption. I ended up keeping a jug of Mobil1 in the garage for all the top-offs.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default We live and learn-- Why I switched to Audi A6

Originally Posted by qqq1970
Sorry to hear your story. I don't know why you switched from loyal BMW fan to Audi in the first place. I was a loyal Mercedes fan for the last 22 years before switching to Audi. I was disenfranchised when workmanship and material quality declined. And all Mercedes I owned rust at some point. Not with Audi. I have a ten year old C5 and not a speck of rust. Hope you don't have more problems down the road.
When test driving the 2012 BMW 535xi in early 2012, I was turned off by the turbo-lag at that time, which I hear has since been corrected. I also liked the styling of the A6 over the 535 and I am a sucker for the Audi LED headlights which look and perform great. The torque and power of the 3.0 engine in the Audi I thought was a bit better than the BMW as well. The salesman at my BMW dealer was the best I ever dealt with and I really had a rough time in telling him, after dealing with him for so many years, that I was switching. He understood the reasons why as I mentioned the above but he made the prophetic call that the car would not give me the years of trouble free service that I got from my last 3 BMW's which were really built to last.(I actually got 313,000 miles out of my '97 528i.) I see all the reports on the board and elsewhere on the various Audi models that have been plagued with excess oil problems for the last few years. Audi has outstanding design and engineering yet they have not been able to totally eliminate the oil burning demon in a good many of their engines. Why can't they find the cause for the problem appearing in some of their engines and eliminate it? Is the 2014 and will the 2015 finally prove to be free of this issue? Let's hope so. Time will tell.
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother had two BMWs and both rusted. And HVAC failed as well so it depends on your experience.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by auditron
48,000 miles on my 2 year old 2012 A6 prestige and my catalytic convertor already needs replacing. My car had the oil consumption procedure done (there was a service bulletin on the problem) when I was burning about 1 quart every 2,000 miles, I now burn 1 quart per 5,000 miles and it seems to be increasing again but undoubtably the damage was already done. It is a proven fact (posted all over the internet) that excess oil consumption can destroy a cars catalytic convertor and Audi by the necessity of having to issue a service bulletin seems to have more than its share of oil burners. If your car is burning oil or has in the past and you thought it was corrected and you were out of the woods beware, this could be something that you should be concerned about. Spending $65,000 for a car in this day and age you would expect better than problems like this.
Comforting to think the A6 has 2 catalytic convertors and only one will be replaced. Now if one was damaged by the excess oil consumption it only figures that convertor #2 will have also suffered some damage. When will that one set off the dreaded check engine light as well?? Audi of course will pick up the cost of the repair, as by law catalytic convertors are warranted for 80,000 miles but what after that? I usually keep my cars for a couple of hundred thousand miles each but those were all BMWs. Why Oh Why did I ever leave BMW after 25 years and 3 great cars on which I put over 200,000 miles on each of them. What is even more infuriating is that Audi only offered me $29,000 (and it's only 2 years old) for this car if I were to trade it in, even though the car looks to be in perfect condition, Talk about depreciation, that's an insult. I would love to trade it in for a BMW but can't afford the beating. Really bad vibes on this car as to what else the excess oil burning might have caused that will show up in the future so I would love to get rid of it. Really don't know what to do going forward, or am I going backward. BAD SCENE TO SAY THE LEAST! Really want out of this car.
There is a mandated warranty on certain emissions parts for all cars sold since 1995. Here is a link to the relevant EPA doc that explains the conditions:

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

It appears to indicate that the cats might be something that is warranted for 8 years or 80K miles, which would make them eligible for a free replacement.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, Audi is of course forced to replace the cat. no cost but my point is that there is a very strong probability that the excess oil consumption ends up in the cat. and overwhelms it. A new car should not suffer these problems and Audi has had more than it's share of oil burners. For $65,000 I expect better.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auditron
When test driving the 2012 BMW 535xi in early 2012, I was turned off by the turbo-lag at that time, which I hear has since been corrected. I also liked the styling of the A6 over the 535 and I am a sucker for the Audi LED headlights which look and perform great. The torque and power of the 3.0 engine in the Audi I thought was a bit better than the BMW as well. The salesman at my BMW dealer was the best I ever dealt with and I really had a rough time in telling him, after dealing with him for so many years, that I was switching. He understood the reasons why as I mentioned the above but he made the prophetic call that the car would not give me the years of trouble free service that I got from my last 3 BMW's which were really built to last.(I actually got 313,000 miles out of my '97 528i.) I see all the reports on the board and elsewhere on the various Audi models that have been plagued with excess oil problems for the last few years. Audi has outstanding design and engineering yet they have not been able to totally eliminate the oil burning demon in a good many of their engines. Why can't they find the cause for the problem appearing in some of their engines and eliminate it? Is the 2014 and will the 2015 finally prove to be free of this issue? Let's hope so. Time will tell.
I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. I have a 2014 and have watched the oil consumption closely after seeing threads like this. My vehicle just went over 15k, and goes in next week for its service. Since the 5k service it is just a tad down from full with no oil added in the last 10k miles.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NightCrawler
I'm really sorry to hear about your issues. I have a 2014 and have watched the oil consumption closely after seeing threads like this. My vehicle just went over 15k, and goes in next week for its service. Since the 5k service it is just a tad down from full with no oil added in the last 10k miles.
Mine was the same, 9K miles between service, no oil added and gauge down just a tad. Car is 2013 and had 14,800 miles at last service I wonder if Oil use with the 3.0T is common or isolated?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

My excess oil usage began at 12,000 miles and used another quart at 14,000 miles. 2,000 miles between fill-up of oil. That's pretty bad

Quick Reply: My worst fear came true. My 2012 A6 oil consumption killed my catalytic convertor