Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Nav Plus and Audi Connect Google Earth Overlay Explanation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Nav Plus and Audi Connect Google Earth Overlay Explanation

I responded to some Nav/Audi Connect Google Earth questions from a member on another forum and thought it might be useful to to repeat it here for those who may also have questions on how the two work together in the MMI Nav Plus.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Timmay
I'm still a new owner and under a free 6 month trial of Audi Connect. Haven't really messed with it too much but like having the up-to-date information about weather, news, events, etc. I have a question about the Google Earth aspect of the navigation system. I'm assuming the bandwidth or strength of the data signal will impact the imagery on the mapping, no? Just curious. Or is that simply the Nvidia(?)graphics chip set with respect to rendering?

I'm still head over heels about having Google Maps rendering the satellite imagery on the screen! Having Google Earth for the mapping would also ensure the maps and locations are pretty up to date too or is that not correct? I'm just wondering whether it's ever necessary to pay for the navigation map update anymore, especially in light of these new technologies.

</td></tr></tbody></table>
For the Google Earth overlay, yes, the speed of the overlay downloads to the screen are dependent on the the data connection. I suspect the refresh rate of the Nvidia chipset exceeds the online cellular data transfer rates.

Regarding your question on the built-in NavTeq sourced map data and the Google Earth overlay, it can be a bit confusing so it's important to understand the differences in capabilities and design between the two.

The Google Earth overlay is not a "map" as found in the car's base nav data - it simply overlays the existing NavTeq map from online data. While the Google Earth images are dynamically updated from Google (as well as the Online Destination POIs), the underlying roads and addresses in the car's nav database are static.

Therefore, if you input an address in the nav on a new street that isn't in the car's internal NavTeq database, the Nav will not see it or allow you to navigate to that location, even if the new street is showing on the Earth overlay. The only way to register and navigate to that new address or street would be to update the Nav at the dealer (providing the update map data includes the new info).

Nevertheless, assuming Google had updated their data, new streets would show in the Earth image on your screen and updated POIs would be visible and navigable via Online Destinations (though you would get the "destination is not on a digitized street" message). Note that Google Online destinations do not allow for searching by address alone, just POIs; only the car's built-in destination search supports entering a specific address. (Addresses using the "Send to Car" from Google Maps, myAudi or the "Send to Car" and new MMI apps would be online exceptions for entering specific addresses).
Old 05-09-2014, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Good summary. Thanks
Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Nevertheless, assuming Google had updated their data, new streets would show in the Earth image on your screen and updated POIs would be visible and navigable via Online Destinations (though you would get the "destination is not on a digitized street" message).
Thanks! Now I better understand the "destination is not on a digitized street" message that I occasionally get.
Old 08-30-2014, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Tman007
Thanks! Now I better understand the "destination is not on a digitized street" message that I occasionally get.
The message will also be announced if the destination is on private property, i.e. a shopping center where the center's "streets" are not actually in the database.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Google Earth - Connect 2018 S6

So are you basically saying that I should spend the $10 extra per month for Audi connect and utilize the Wi-Fi which in turn would give me a better rendering for my Google earth ??? My trial subscription just ended after six months so now it takes much longer for my Google earth to load up every time I start the car. Something seems off I’m not quite sure what it is. Any help or advice I would very much appreciate it. Thank you Steve
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

This thread is over 4 years old and Audi has evolved to different MMI systems and subscription plans since then. Without your car's year, location, and more details, it's not possible to answer your question.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default MMI

This thread is over 4 years old and Audi has evolved to different MMI systems and subscription plans since then. Without your car's year, location, and more details, it's not possible to answer your question.
2018 Audi S6 C7.5
Old 08-31-2018, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Google Earth is dependent on subscribing to an Audi Connect Prime cellular plan (not wifi and is significantly more than $10 per month). I have no idea why your Earth is still working if your trial has ended and you have not subscribed to Connect Prime.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Well if that's the case I'm going shut up and just be happy that it's working ! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it - Steve
Old 08-31-2018, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Google Earth is dependent on subscribing to an Audi Connect Prime cellular plan (not wifi and is significantly more than $10 per month). I have no idea why your Earth is still working if your trial has ended and you have not subscribed to Connect Prime.
the 2018 A6/S6 is a generation 1 MMI. The subscription rate for everything is $20 a month. That includes WiFi and data such as Google Earth and Audi Connect. Generation 2 MMI’s require two subscriptions, one for Prime and one for WiFi, and is more expensive. Generation 1 MMI’s only have one subscription available and it is for both services.

Quick Reply: Nav Plus and Audi Connect Google Earth Overlay Explanation