Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation 'auto' map colours always night

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dipped... sorry, maybe that's a British English term... I mean headlights that are not on full beam i.e. normal headlights ON.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In the U.S. we call them low beams and high beams on the headlights. The DRLs are used as full-time running lights (replacing the old "parking" lights).
Old 08-11-2014, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by jbn
...I am just accustomed to have dipped headlights as running lights....
I do not think that is wise. When you have headlights on (dipped or not) the rear "tail lights" go on as well. In daylight someone behind could misinterpret them as brake lights and do something untoward; exactly what I don't know. But, I do feel it could be confusing to any following motorists. At night all cars have their tail lights on and the extra intensity of the brake lights is obvious. However, in full sun - not so much. That is why I still use the old hand out the window braking signal at times.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM
DVE
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I think there is big difference between tail-light and brake light - not only the brightness. Not to forget the third brakelight.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:51 PM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

I have been driving Volvos for many years and both front and rear lights are on for daytime running. If the Audi doesn't have rear lights on as DRL then I definitely will revert to using headlights and switch the map setting manually!
Old 08-12-2014, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

You can have the coding changed to have the front DRLs turn on together with the rear lights. IIRC this is referred to as Scandinavian coding.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by DVE
Which sensor shall be that? Because I want to know whether the main beams are activated (switch in auto). The green symbol beside the switch is always illuminated because I using scandinavian coding (rear lights always on) The navi display is always set to night mode.

What are dipped beams?

Thanks
There is a sensor in the interior rearview mirror (for the auto headlights and auto dimming of the mirrors) and there should be another sensor in the instrument cluster (that dims the instrument cluster scales to remind you to turn on the head light if not in Auto, to dim the MMI screen and to switch the navi to night mode). Not sure where the sensor is exactly these days but you should be able to test the latter by covering the instrument cluster with a towel or sweatshirt in daylight.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
There is a sensor in the interior rearview mirror (for the auto headlights and auto dimming of the mirrors) and there should be another sensor in the instrument cluster (that dims the instrument cluster scales to remind you to turn on the head light if not in Auto, to dim the MMI screen and to switch the navi to night mode). Not sure where the sensor is exactly these days but you should be able to test the latter by covering the instrument cluster with a towel or sweatshirt in daylight.
I thought the sensor on the rear view mirror controls all the auto light and nav functions including auto headlights, nav screen brightness and day/night mode. I don't believe there is more than one light sensor.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I do not think that is wise. When you have headlights on (dipped or not) the rear "tail lights" go on as well. In daylight someone behind could misinterpret them as brake lights and do something untoward; exactly what I don't know. But, I do feel it could be confusing to any following motorists. At night all cars have their tail lights on and the extra intensity of the brake lights is obvious. However, in full sun - not so much. That is why I still use the old hand out the window braking signal at times.
If you follow an A6 with rear DRL's enabled, such as mine. then I do not think that there will ever be confusion as to braking or not. There are 2 main issues: 1 the recognition of the light going on and off during braking is more important than the brake light being on. I.E. it's the transition that is the most recognizable. 2 The difference in brightness, especially on the A6, leaves no doubt as to its actuation or not.

I absolutely endorse the rear DRL's and I bet that it will eventually be mandated in the US. For cars without automatic lights then it provides lights for people who think that it's cool to drive around at dusk without lights on. They are the same people who think that lights are for seeing instead of lights to been seen.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
You can have the coding changed to have the front DRLs turn on together with the rear lights. IIRC this is referred to as Scandinavian coding.
Thank you for the tip... yes I might well do this or try to have our obliging main dealer set it up if he can be persuaded.

Quick Reply: Navigation 'auto' map colours always night