Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Navigation 'auto' map colours always night

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:15 AM
jbn
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
I absolutely endorse the rear DRL's and I bet that it will eventually be mandated in the US. For cars without automatic lights then it provides lights for people who think that it's cool to drive around at dusk without lights on. They are the same people who think that lights are for seeing instead of lights to been seen.
This is exactly the point; thank you.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

If you follow an A6 with rear DRL's enabled, such as mine. then I do not think that there will ever be confusion as to braking or not. There are 2 main issues: 1 the recognition of the light going on and off during braking is more important than the brake light being on. I.E. it's the transition that is the most recognizable. 2 The difference in brightness, especially on the A6, leaves no doubt as to its actuation or not.

I absolutely endorse the rear DRL's and I bet that it will eventually be mandated in the US. For cars without automatic lights then it provides lights for people who think that it's cool to drive around at dusk without lights on. They are the same people who think that lights are for seeing instead of lights to been seen.
I am not arguing the point that there is a dramatic intensity or brightness difference between tail lights and brake lights, nor that rear DRL’s will be a good thing in the US. But as it is now with most (if not all) cars that DRL’s having only front DRL’s, is where I see a problem, generally, but less so with the A6 because of our unique lights.
On darker days or at night when all the cars ahead have some rear lights on, I think anyone can clearly see the difference when one of the drivers steps on the brakes.
However, on a super bright sunny day (washing out the effect of most lights) when a driver comes up behind a car that has any red rear lights on, and other cars around it do not, that driver might think for a brief second that the car ahead has its brakes on. They might swerve or do something before realizing that it is just the taillights. That is all I am saying; so maybe my comments relate to ordinary vehicles absent the lovely tail lights we have.
FWIW – people driving around with parking lights on is what really blows my mind. They are supposed to tell other drivers that you are stopped.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I am not arguing the point that there is a dramatic intensity or brightness difference between tail lights and brake lights, nor that rear DRL’s will be a good thing in the US. But as it is now with most (if not all) cars that DRL’s having only front DRL’s, is where I see a problem, generally, but less so with the A6 because of our unique lights.
On darker days or at night when all the cars ahead have some rear lights on, I think anyone can clearly see the difference when one of the drivers steps on the brakes.
However, on a super bright sunny day (washing out the effect of most lights) when a driver comes up behind a car that has any red rear lights on, and other cars around it do not, that driver might think for a brief second that the car ahead has its brakes on. They might swerve or do something before realizing that it is just the taillights. That is all I am saying; so maybe my comments relate to ordinary vehicles absent the lovely tail lights we have.
FWIW – people driving around with parking lights on is what really blows my mind. They are supposed to tell other drivers that you are stopped.
I think that there is much greater ambiguity regarding Red turn signals than just seeing red lights ahead. If you see a red light in front of you then you now have to determine if it's a light, a brake light or an indication. With amber turn signals it is relatively easy to determine if the car ahead has lights on or is braking.

As for using Parking Lights then I do not see your point: if the car in front of you has either parking lights or headlights on then you cannot tell the difference from behind it. If you are approaching a car coming at you then how do you tell the difference between his parking lights or his DRL's?
Old 08-13-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having grown up in Europe I hate the red turn lights in the US! It is just plain stupid. Amber for turns looks better and is a hell of a lot less confusing than someone who is braking and turning with only red lights.

I also would like to see some kind of rear light DRL. Then at least I might see the idiots who don't turn on their lights even in thick fog!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually I've hated DRLs for years because of GM (et al) who implemented it as half-ish intensity headlights plus normal instrument panel lighting. Thus leading to millions of idiotic-appearing folks driving at night without their headlights on (and more critically without taillights) - because they don't notice or can't tell the difference between half-ish and full headlight intensity!

DRL + running lights is Ok IMO because it makes the vehicle visible to other drivers. None of it would be needed if we had more "drivers" rather than "motor vehicle operators"
Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by u2jrmw
Having grown up in Europe I hate the red turn lights in the US! It is just plain stupid. Amber for turns looks better and is a hell of a lot less confusing than someone who is braking and turning with only red lights.

I also would like to see some kind of rear light DRL. Then at least I might see the idiots who don't turn on their lights even in thick fog!
You can enable rear DRL's with VCDS and the A6 comes with rear fog lights for use in inclement weather so you are covered. The problem is getting legislation to make both mandatory and educating people to know how to use them. Of course, that could be years because the idiots in DC haven't even acknowledged that amber turn signals are safer yet in spite of all of the evidence.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
DRL + running lights is Ok IMO because it makes the vehicle visible to other drivers. None of it would be needed if we had more "drivers" rather than "motor vehicle operators"
The only method of getting "drivers" is by using a computer to drive. Google cars have already proved that they are smarter than the US "motor vehicle operators" that we have to suffer with every day.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Self driving cars. That's the LAST thing I want to experience. I hope I'm long gone before I would have to give up the joy of doing my own driving. Meh.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Self driving cars. That's the LAST thing I want to experience. I hope I'm long gone before I would have to give up the joy of doing my own driving. Meh.
It's a great idea - all the young kids go to the DMV "buy" a license and then proceed to operate their phones etc. while going down the freeway. They would much rather not to have to worry about all of those silly displays, stalks and pedals. They just want to sit in the car and have it get to its predetermined destination in its dedicated lane. Meanwhile, you and I have the other 4 lanes to ourselves!

BTW - the reason for car pool lanes is not to reduce traffic or pollution that is presently touted. It is to turn them into toll roads for more income and then to transform them into the Google car lanes so the convoy can move safely along without having to interface with those "old cars" that have drivers in them.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

sit in the car and have it get to its predetermined destination in its dedicated lane. Meanwhile, you and I have the other 4 lanes to ourselves!
I'm onboard - in much the same way I'm a huge supporter of Hybrids and EVs.... leave the gasoline for me!!!

Quick Reply: Navigation 'auto' map colours always night