Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need Advice on Recall

Old 07-26-2015, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Recall

Hello all,

I was recently reminded of the fuel rail and injectors recall (24AP) affecting my 2012 A6 3.0 and have since scheduled an appt with my local dealer to have the replacement parts installed. The back story to this is I already had a fuel leak a couple years back on this vehicle and had them replace whatever faulty parts caused the leak at that time, but by the dealerships own admission those replacement parts might have just been the same OEM parts that failed initially and not the stronger components issued for this recall. So here are my concerns...

I have since upgraded the vehicle with APR stage 2 software and pulley. Since my basic warranty is already up I'm not too concerned with that, but I'm not sure if they would deny covering the parts and labor for the recall due to being modified. Also as part of the recall I'm concerned with them flashing my CPU and wiping out my tune... (I've read many people on this board talk about that happening even when they notified the dealer not to flash their vehicles).

And even worse, if the recall requires them to remove the supercharger and pulley, I'd hate to accidentally end up with a stock pulley back on the car if a tech accidentally grabbed another OEM pulley (as I've heard they are pretty similar in appearance, but this is probably not very likely to happen).

Based on some videos I've seen of the pulley installation, aren't certain tools required to fit the slightly smaller APR pulley back onto the vehicle (I seem to remember them heating it in an oven).

Anyone been in the same situation and can share their experience?
Also any C7 A6 owners with APR tune know if there is a way to verify your tune is still active after visiting the dealer besides the butt dyno?

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark your APR pulley with a paint pen, sticker or something you can scratch a marking into the pulley with. Then take a picture with the pulley in the car showing the mark.

When you get the car back, inspect the pulley straight off before you leave the dealer or sign anything saying that you are satisfied that the work is complete.

As for the ECU, they very well may over write it. When they did my recall, they certainly made some ECU changes and my car is way past out of warranty. So, I would reach out to your APR dealer and see if you can schedule a reflash after the work is done, or have them restore to stock, get the work down and reflash after.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They don't remove the pulley but it is always good
To be upfront with them about any mods done to your car (they will find out any) the recall has to do with the fuel rail system, they replace the thermometer and change out some other small parts. When I went over my recall sheet everything looked pretty basic. They do however update the engine and transmission so if you have done flashes to the Ecu it needs to be addressed prior to taking the car in.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks guys, I'll talk with my shop that did the tune initially to setup a time to flash back to stock before my appt.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Update:

The dealership completed the recall within a day but part of the service was a software update that wiped out my stage 2 tune, felt it as soon as I pulled out of the dealership. It's amazing how mild the car feels without it once you get used to that extra tq and hp, but it also gives me a new appreciation for it. I'm having it flashed again on Monday so it will be back in beast mode soon
Old 08-16-2015, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Another Update:

As planed a couple weeks back I had to take the car in to be reflashed after the recall. The night before I got a yellow engine light (i figured due to driving the car with the pulley and no APR software). Once my shop reflashed the stage 2 software they told me the two codes they pulled from VCDS were:

6531 - Throttle Actuator (J338)
P1568 00 [036] - Mechanical Failure

6459 - Reset-Resistant Limp-Mode Active
P1680 00 [100] - -

They said it was possible it was due to the car running without software for a few days or it could be something else like an issue with the computer (yikes), and if it happens again to bring it back in. Well tonight the little yellow engine light came on again. I'm hoping to get it back into the shop tomorrow and have it diagnosed.

Everything I've been able to google and search the forums for seem to point to it possible being a dirty throttle body, bent throttle plate or linkage, or possible need for a throttle body alignment. I'd assume if part of the recall required them to remove the throttle body they would have insured it was properly realigned but who knows. Hopefully something small but if anyone has any insights or knows if throttle bodies get dirty enough at 50k miles to cause engine lights, please let me know.

Thanks.