Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Need Brake pad advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

15K on my A6 3.0 TDI. My front breaks squeal only with light pressure on the brake/low speed. Started when it got "colder" around here in the SF Bay Area (< 50F)
Old 01-20-2015, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRomulus
I had this too on my 42,000 mile vehicle, so I braced myself for my first $800 brake job.
They measured everything and assured me I had X millemeters left and could go at least another 5000 - 8000 miles. They said 50K was a good average for A6's brake life depending upon driving habits etc.

But then he said the squealing is due to some build up on the rotors (or something to that effect) and that to get rid of it, find a safe location and do an emergency stop from about 40 mph. That would "fix" it and the squealing would stop.

Has anyone else heard this before?
Interesting that you said this. I just had my car in for it's 25K service and one of the things they suggested was having my back breaks done. They said they are still within specs, but it would be a good idea to replace them. I asked if they would last until my 35K service and he said most likely. So if you're saying 50K is about avg, why are they trying to get me to pay 1K to fix them now??
Old 01-20-2015, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Rush2112;24647754 So if you're saying 50K is about avg, why are they trying to get me to pay 1K to fix them now??[/QUOTE]

Ummm, maybe to boost revenue in a slow month ?

This is the 2nd A6 I have brought to 40k+ miles in the last 2 years. I still have not paid for a break job yet.
That said, it is not a commuter car per se, crawling on a busy urban interstate every day for an hour each way.. Lots of 500 mile trips (I'm s salesman) mixed in with small local errands, etc.
Was yours purchased new or low mileage used? Regardless, that seems very odd.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So while I can appreciate the grip of the semi metallic stock brakes, but the one thing that turns me off about many German cars I see is the damn brake dust. When I got my A6 I immediately had the stock brakes pulled and replaced with Akebono ceramics. I love them, took about 600-1000 miles for them to fully bed but there is no dust and the bite nicely. I suspect they do not have the same initial bite the stock pads, but I am not racing my car. They have bit well any time I have called on them to stop the car, even in haste.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an A7 but come to this forum sometimes. I JUST had front and rear brake pads and rotors replaced. I bought EBC red stuff pads from CARID (great price, about $190 for the set) and EBC slotted rotors (about $310 for the set) from autoanything. I bought front and rear sensors off Amazon ($30 for both). Overall $530 for parts and I paid $330 labor. Not happy about the labor cost but downtown Chicago can be a bitch.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here's another vote for Akebono Euro Ceramics. Put them on my A4. Perform well, not dust.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by samsoccer7
I have an A7 but come to this forum sometimes. I JUST had front and rear brake pads and rotors replaced. I bought EBC red stuff pads from CARID (great price, about $190 for the set) and EBC slotted rotors (about $310 for the set) from autoanything. I bought front and rear sensors off Amazon ($30 for both). Overall $530 for parts and I paid $330 labor. Not happy about the labor cost but downtown Chicago can be a bitch.
Sam could you post a pic?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by JRomulus
Sam could you post a pic?
I'll try. It doesn't look that much different except for the rotor slots. On the rear you can see part of the break pad under the caliper. They look nice though overall. I'll post when I get a chance. Only drove like 100 miles since then.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That's pretty funny about stomping on the brakes hard, for the screeching to go away. Because...I have a 2012 A6 3.0 Prestige with 18K miles and it has the exact same screech from rear brakes. My mechanic (not Audi dealer) cleaned the dust from pads/rotors and it still screeched. He replaced rear pads with new ceramic pads, and still screeched. I was driving it last week and had to lock up the brakes to avoid and accident...and lo and behold the screech went away...for about 1 day, and then returned. Still searching for a solution, short of handing it to over to the dealer to spend time and money on it.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by David W.
. I was driving it last week and had to lock up the brakes to avoid and accident...and lo and behold the screech went away...for about 1 day, and then returned.

Still searching for a solution, short of handing it to over to the dealer to spend time and money on it.
Try bedding in the brake pads and see if that makes a difference.

Quick Reply: Need Brake pad advice