Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New 2016 TDI Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 11:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 178 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by gtidriver
Those are just great, great consumption figures!

While it seems most of you got the TDI due to your annual mileage, I'm actually a very low mileage driver, since I only use the car on the weekends and frequently stuck in serious NYC traffic. But for me, the range compared to my previous 535xi is truly wonderful... this TDI is a like a camel when it comes to range!!

The other aspect that swayed me to try diesel is the current gas prices. Given the current (low) gas prices, I think consumers may not be looking at TDIs as intently.... which helped me get the car at more of a discount than the equivalent 3.0T, effectively wiping out the diesel engine premium.
If you are doing low mileage and a lot of city driving be sure to regularly take the car for a good hard drive as well. Assuming the US cars are also fitted with the DPF then this will get clogged and could fail if it cannot service itself via a regeneration cycle. Also with regard to the camera on the rear view mirror I think that is connected with the Main Beam Assist function. In Europe this is standard on cars with LED headlights but looks as if that is not the case in the US. May be that it is installed just not activated and can be via VCDS.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Inyoury
Doesn't do anything. I had the 2012 model with it and did nothing. Even my 2016 model has it and still nothing. Need the sensors where the fog lights would have been to do what it is suppose to do.
My S3 has drivers assistance package. I believe that camera by the mirror is for the Active Lane Assist option. Adaptive Cruise Control and Audi Pre-sense Front use the camera(s) installed in the lower grill foglight locations.

Audi may use the same windshield and mirror base housing whether you have these options or not.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
My S3 has drivers assistance package. I believe that camera by the mirror is for the Active Lane Assist option. Adaptive Cruise Control and Audi Pre-sense Front use the camera(s) installed in the lower grill foglight locations.

Audi may use the same windshield and mirror base housing whether you have these options or not.
From Audi:

"Audi lane assist detects lane markings by means of a camera on the front of the vehicle."

Actually, I believe the camera on the mirror is for ACC only and works in conjunction with the round lens radar sensors in the grill. I have the mirror camera and ACC but not Lane Assist. When my windshield was replaced, they didn't make a good connection with the mirror camera connector and I got an ACC fault message. The Audi statement above would indicate the lane assist camera is located in the front grill which would make sense since it needs to point more down to the road markings whereas the ACC looks forward to followed vehicles.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
From Audi:

"Audi lane assist detects lane markings by means of a camera on the front of the vehicle."

Actually, I believe the camera on the mirror is for ACC only and works in conjunction with the round lens radar sensors in the grill. I have the mirror camera and ACC but not Lane Assist. When my windshield was replaced, they didn't make a good connection with the mirror camera connector and I got an ACC fault message. The Audi statement above would indicate the lane assist camera is located in the front grill which would make sense since it needs to point more down to the road markings whereas the ACC looks forward to followed vehicles.
Taken from the Kufatec website https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...-audi-a6-a7-4g and the description that goes with the camera option. Looks as if the camera can be very busy depending on what options you fit!!

Front camera for retrofit various functions:

Traffic sign recognition (VZE)
dynamic main beam
high beam assistant (FLA)
lane departure assistant (ALA)
adaptive cruise control (ACC)
Old 08-25-2015, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This syncs with the functionally in the BMW as well. The forward-facing camera ("KAFAS") is used for high-beam assist, lane keep, and traffic sign recognition. And if I recall correctly, some of this functionality can be coded asking as the hardware is present. At some point I'll pick up a VAG-COM and start looking into this.

I am certain the other cameras on TV C7 (night vision and the forward surround view camera) are not used for this functionality.

Originally Posted by John Simcox
Taken from the Kufatec website https://www.kufatec.co.uk/shop/en/au...-audi-a6-a7-4g and the description that goes with the camera option. Looks as if the camera can be very busy depending on what options you fit!!

Front camera for retrofit various functions:

Traffic sign recognition (VZE)
dynamic main beam
high beam assistant (FLA)
lane departure assistant (ALA)
adaptive cruise control (ACC)
Old 08-25-2015, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gtidriver
This syncs with the functionally in the BMW as well. The forward-facing camera ("KAFAS") is used for high-beam assist, lane keep, and traffic sign recognition. And if I recall correctly, some of this functionality can be coded asking as the hardware is present. At some point I'll pick up a VAG-COM and start looking into this.

I am certain the other cameras on TV C7 (night vision and the forward surround view camera) are not used for this functionality.
Not sure about Night Vision, which presumably would require an infrared camera, but Surround Parking system uses 4 cameras, one int he front grille beneatht he AUdi roundals, one in the rear trunk release panel and one in each door mirror
Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! Been reading these forums recently and new here. Congrats on your new car btw! Looks amazing. I've recently placed an order for an A6 TDI in tornado grey as well (can't wait!). Btw, is there a chrome piece at the bottom of your trunk lid? I've been noticing from some pictures that some 2016 MY have this piece and some don't. Anyone know the reason why?
Old 08-27-2015, 02:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chewy379
Btw, is there a chrome piece at the bottom of your trunk lid? I've been noticing from some pictures that some 2016 MY have this piece and some don't. Anyone know the reason why?
Yes, there is. I believe the S6 doesn't have the strip. I wonder if the Black Optic package either deletes or replaces with a dark strip?
Old 08-27-2015, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
From Audi:

Perhaps the mirror sensor and the camera work together in more ways than we understand. I was assuming the mirror height sensor would have a better view of forward lane markings to help the vehicle stay centered. Perhaps someone else could clarify the exact uses of the mirror sensor.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm driving a '16 A6 TDI as a loaner for a few days, and was expecting to love it, but am hating the cheap-engine sound... Am I alone here, or do I could my loaner have a problem?

Yeah, the mileage is great, and I do notice a little more torque, but I just can't get over the engine sound...

Quick Reply: New 2016 TDI Owner!