Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New Boots for comfort test

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PepeA6
Fine then! (was hoping for a smaller number so I can stop secretly looking around for 18s! 40% is massive, I'll have to see if I can try one first. Car is in for service tomorrow, we'll see if I have a pick from the loaner's lot...)

I wish I did not like the 20" as much, would have been a no brainer...
Thanks for the report and taking the plunge!
40% includes the side of wheel and the fact that the tires are are new all seasons as opposed to older PZero performance tires. I don't know how to separate my findings.

Good luck, I'll report again if my conclusions change with more use, it's early days with my new set up.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That was my only struggle too in my decision process in buying my new A6, at first I chose the sports pack 19", not so much just for the sports suspension but because I think the car looks significantly better with the bolder more aggressive S-Line front and rear bumper and side sills than the non S-line look ... not to mention how much better it looks with the 20's on board.

It was only after a direct comparison test drive of the same 2015 prestige models with one on 19" sports suspension and the other on 20" sports suspension, plus the chorus of several of the sales guys and gals at Audi NS who urged me to go for the 20"s, as well as the universal vote by three other local AZ car buddies in our neighborhood who, respectively drive a Ferrari 458, a Lambo Gallardo and an Aston Martin DB9 (all quite different rides obviously than an A6 cruiser) urging me as well to go for the 20's, with every one of them insisting that it really 'makes the car' and is not a big deal drive wise on our relatively smooth Arizona highways. Perhaps one the very best overall road systems in the US, from all reports and my own experience.

When I drove the two test cars at speed, there is no doubt the 20" track far more precisely with improved steering feel and I didn't notice any significant degradation in comfort though it was notably firmer.

However, I had been holding out for a new tricked out B9 S4, but the delays in the new A4/S4 series being released until around this time next year in the US pushed the new S4 too far out for my prior lease ending time frame.

I'm very glad now that the situation pushed me into the new A6, but I was already leaning toward the sportier ride and handling as it was, and I felt the 20" plus sport pak, versus the notably softer and less precise control of the 19" with sports pack that I felt, during the admittedly brief total of 45 minutes test drive between the two cars, that the balance of tradeoffs with the occasional 'kathunk' over some infrequent freeway expansion joints was a tolerable trade for the great handling feel and connection to the road with the 20" sports.

All the Audi folks at the dealer who I've come to know very well over the years and would not BS me on this issue for an extra grand, truly do feel the 20" is the way to go, but then Arizona is not at all New Jersey or Detroit (nearly anywhere in the midwest to east coast with such radical weather and road damage), and they readily admit they would not recommend them in such states.

The tech guys and Audi NS insist the tire choice makes the more difference in the ride than the diff between a 19" and 20" wheel, per se, and they might be right.

The Conti Extreme DW for summer and DWS (now DWS06) for AS seem to get the most thumbs up for the best choice for 20" sports suspension tires, adding in just the right degree of forgiveness while maintaining the taut more precise handling response of the 20" set up.

Time will tell if I made the right initial choice, but I've penciled in an extra $3,000 or so for new 19" wheels and tires, if absolutely necessary, after I've lived with the 20" plus sports for a while after it arrives mid-June.

I do love the bi-color 5 star design 20" wheel on the '16 A6 so am keeping my fingers crossed that they work out in the positive overall on our more forgiving roads. Am getting the wheel and tire insurance as well, just in case a rare pothole jumps out of nowhere.

I guess another alternative to losing the 20" and low profile tires is to see if Audi NS could reverse the sports suspension back to a more normal forgiving status, but that might be more involved and I would want to know they can pretty easily reduplicate the actual A6 non-sport suspension and not risk them mucking about and then risking the car coming out handling like a Lexus . Anyone here have any thoughts or experience with reversing a sports suspension tune and if it is straight forward to do, should that become worth considering?

Of course, the real solution is Audi including the adaptive air or magnetic suspension all tied into Drive select .. as in the S6 and even S3 already ... as an option included with the sports suspension and 20" wheels.

Thanks ...

Last edited by Hulamau; 05-20-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Before I ordered my MY2013 I was fortunate to be able test drive an 18" non-Sport, 19" Sport and 20" Sport one after the other. In the end I selected the 19" Sport. Like Goldilocks, it was not too hot and not too cold - I felt it was a good compromise between ride comfort and performance. And like the 20" Sport package, the 19" Sport still had the better looking lower stance.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Has anyone on this forum driven the adjustable suspension from either the S6 or in the EU? If so, any thoughts?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had an s6 and getting a new one next week. The air suspension is what makes the car apart from the engine. Also, you can lower it with the H&R ETS module which is awesome.

Different heights, different damping = different cars in one.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by stillwaterS6
Had an s6 and getting a new one next week. The air suspension is what makes the car apart from the engine. Also, you can lower it with the H&R ETS module which is awesome.

Different heights, different damping = different cars in one.
Thank you - as I suspected, just what the A6 needs.