Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New brake rotors at 11k miles? Really??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I'm going to throw something else into the mix I've noticed. When using ACC it feels like the rear brakes are used predominately to control the speed of the car. What I'm wondering is if on a vehicle with ACC if it is predispositioned to burn up the rear brakes even quicker? For me only time will tell as I use ACC a real lot.
ACC does use the rear brakes.

I washed and used a paint sealant four days ago because I was prepping for a local Cars & Coffee. I painted the front calipers two days ago and didn't notice anything unusual. I was setting up to work on the rear calipers today and not only is there brake dust on the rear wheels, it's also behind the wheel on the bumper cover. Real easy to spot on a white car.

I used the ACC for about 30 miles total on the highways to and from the event. I'll have to remember to not use the cruise on the way to a show
Old 07-20-2016, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
I'm going to throw something else into the mix I've noticed. When using ACC it feels like the rear brakes are used predominately to control the speed of the car. Now I know from my experience with my wife's Infiniti G37XS and dealing with my Indy mechanic that modern cars with traction, stability control, etc wear out rear brakes before fronts because of these safety features. What I'm wondering is if on a vehicle with ACC if it is predispositioned to burn up the rear brakes even quicker? For me only time will tell as I use ACC a real lot.
There's probably something to this. I use the ACC nearly every morning on my commute and the rears have worn faster than the fronts. They aren't wearing faster than expected as I just replaced rear pads and rotors for the first time at 65K miles, while the front pads still have plenty of life left according to the dealer inspection at the last service.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can destroy a set of new rotors if the the bolts are not torqued properly or evenly or the wheels are out of balance.
If you are like me with 2 sets of wheels (one for Summer and one for Winter), they use different set of bolts. I always double check the torque after the shop putting the wheels on, double check it after 500 miles. Also balance the wheels before putting them on.
Had almost 50K on the car, no brake issues, use ACC a lot.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by LeadingEdge
Sorry to be the OP who never updates the post. Better late than never. But AoA did come through a few days after I posted and authorized replacing rotors only (no pads) under warranty as a "one-time exception". I went ahead and replaced pads also, since no extra labor cost during the rotor replacement. It's been about 5k miles since then with no problems.

Like OldSchool24, I too noticed that the surface of my original rotors were rusty within a few thousand miles of purchasing (new). Often driving the car would clear off the rust, say on the way to work, then rotor surface would look rusty again by the end of the work day. This was before I noticed any vibrations. With the new rotors, no issue like that. I haven't studied them closely, but I haven't noticed anything.

Thanks for all the replies, and I definitely would have gone to an indy mechanic to turn the rotors if AoA hadn't paid for the replacement.
Nice. Good for you. I ended up at a great local shop who looked at the issue and told me the rotors were in fact warped, but no need to change the pads. The total was about 2/3 of what AoA wanted to charge me. My brakes are smooth as glass again. Thanks for nothing Audi!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Audi Auto care would also not cover this?
Old 07-30-2016, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by oskidunker
So Audi Auto care would also not cover this?
Audi Care plans are prepaid maintenance packages, they are not a warranty. Any warranty, be it OEM, CPO or third party, will not cover wear items including brake pads and rotors.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi Care plans are prepaid maintenance packages, they are not a warranty. Any warranty, be it OEM, CPO or third party, will not cover wear items including brake pads and rotors.
If brake pads are manufactured and installed defective and fail within the first 12K miles (because how many brakes spontaneously fail on any car in 12K miles, unless your tracking the thing?), this is not a 'wear and tear' issue, but as to whether or not AoA will treat this as a defect and replace on warranty seems to be at the whim of the dealership and service manager.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

I have a 2016 a6 and also had brake issues at 8700 miles, vibration...growl..all at higher speeds...took it to my dealer...they said pads fine...but rotors were not. They replaced the rotors and pads without issue and said they used upgraded rotors....I love my dealer....usually...but we shall see if the upgraded rotors are really upgraded.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Those who get a new car or new brake pads or rotors should Google "how to bed brakes". If new brakes are not properly bedded, issues like vibrations and excessive wear can eventually occur due to deposits unevenly accumulated on the rotors. (This is often erroneously called "rotor warping"). Many times some of the issues described here and elsewhere are due to improper bedding and can be avoided by first following the procedure.