Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New tire recommendations for '13 A6 3.0T Sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New tire recommendations for '13 A6 3.0T Sport

I'm coming up on 24,000 miles on my 2013 A6 and am going to start looking into replacement tires for the Pirellis that came with the car. I have the 20" sport package wheels and live in the southeast so climate tends to be favorable year round. Any suggestions on what I should look into?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on My '13 A6 with 20" wheels and really like them. I'm very partial to Michelin tires, but you may not need "All Season Tires" in the South-east. So chose the tire that matches your driving style.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/michel...elin-tires.jsp
Old 01-28-2015, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

I've been very happy with running Michelin Pilot Super Sports during the summer. Fantastic grip and makes the car feel even more planted.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
I've been very happy with running Michelin Pilot Super Sports during the summer. Fantastic grip and makes the car feel even more planted.
I am also running the Michelin Pilot Super Sports during summers and agree with Raj that they are fantastic. Great tires.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I installed Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on My '13 A6 with 20" wheels and really like them. I'm very partial to Michelin tires, but you may not need "All Season Tires" in the South-east. So chose the tire that matches your driving style.

It's stretching a bit to call the A/S 3 an All-Season tire, more like 3.5 Season. Those things are suicidal in the snow compared to the Conti DWS (awesome the rest of the year though).
Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
It's stretching a bit to call the A/S 3 an All-Season tire, more like 3.5 Season. Those things are suicidal in the snow compared to the Conti DWS (awesome the rest of the year though).
Agreed on the A/S 3. I had Pilot Sport A/S on an 05 Acura RL and they were great, except for the snow. Thought about the A/S 3 for my A6 recently, but went with the Michelin Premiers instead. They are great in the snow so far.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

having had 2 sets between our 2 Audis of Both Continental DW and Michelin PSS here are my thoughts:

Micheline Pilot Super Sport - hands down the best performing street tire you can get. Excellent ride, relatively quiet, amazing grip. Expensive at around $300 a tire in the 20" size.

Continental Extreme Contact DW - slightly better ride, quieter than PSS (not by a lot - but enough), softer sidewall so steering response is slightly less than PSS, great grip. Literally about 90% of the capability of the PSS and they only run around $185 a tire in the 20" size.

So my thoughts; I hate the way any summer/aggressive tread tire sounds when it gets to that last 10k miles of its life, they all get extremely loud and drone as they get close to wear. There is a lot of concrete on the highways I drive so tread noise is important to me. That being the case, I would rather run the Conti's and replace them sooner than run the Miche's to the end because of their higher cost. The PSS does come with a 30k tread warranty whereas the Conti's do not, but I have found the Conti to last longer anyway.

Bottom line, unless you track your car or drive EXTREMELY aggressively you would really be hard pressed to really notice the difference between the two, I recommend the Conti DW. I run my summers year round in TX, when it gets below 45 degrees I just don't drive aggressively - who feels like driving aggressively when its cold anyway????

Side note, I did run a 30 day trial of the Yokohama Advan Sport A/S in the 20" size. Flat out didn't like them at all, which just further proves to me that All Season is No Season.

Last edited by MCRN; 01-29-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do the Pilot Super Sports have the wheel bead protector on them (i.e. do they stick out past the edge of the wheel at the bead)?

Going to have to buy new tires this year sometime and this has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions so far.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Totally agree on this... I love the A/S 3's on dry or wet pavement - the grip and control is phenomenal. But in the snow... almost scary how bad they are. If I end up getting a second set of wheels, I'd get snows for winter and keep these for the rest of the year, but if I had to have a set for year round, the A/S 3's would not be it... I'd go with the Conti DWS - had them on my previous A4 and loved them.

-Mark
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dicktahoe

+1 they are awesome tires, great handling and ride.

Quick Reply: New tire recommendations for '13 A6 3.0T Sport