Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption

Bah. Car has been fantastic. Finally got hit with the "add more oil" message for the 2nd time. A little history, brought car in for 15k service. At around 19.5k, first "add oil" message came on. Brought the car in to get topped off, was told it was normal. Dealership mistakenly sent me an email saying I needed to bring my car in for service so I brought my car in on 08/19/2014 at 21k miles and they went ahead and just performed the 25k service. Last night I got the add oil message again at 24.5k so brought the car in this AM for a top off again.

So it seems that I'm burning oil about every 4k miles. They will be performing the oil consumption test on Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Last edited by Taktix1; 04-27-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a link for you. Most of us with the 3.0T engine go 10,000 miles between changes without adding oil. But a few, probably with engines built on Monday morning, 😤 have significant oil Useage. It seems that Audi claims anything more than 2,000 miles/quart is acceptable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...12-a6-2840464/
Old 04-27-2015, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Bah. Car has been fantastic. Finally got hit with the "add more oil" message for the 2nd time. A little history, brought car in for 15k service. At around 19.5k, first "add oil" message came on. Brought the car in to get topped off, was told it was normal. Dealership mistakenly sent me an email saying I needed to bring my car in for service so I brought my car in on 08/19/2014 at 21k miles and they went ahead and just performed the 25k service. Last night I got the add oil message again at 24.5k so brought the car in this AM for a top off again.

So it seems that I'm burning oil about every 4k miles. They will be performing the oil consumption test on Thursday. Keeping my fingers crossed...
It's a known issue on these cars that they can fix...i can't recall the part that they changed but i think some oil regulator valve or something. I had mine updated along with the updated thermostat as a preventative measure.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As long as you're doing a consumption test, you should highly recommend they send the oil samples in for examination... it's not been made clear to me they got that extra step.
Mine... 2015 3.0T - I had my 5K service done, no issues. Then at 7.5K got the oil warning. Dealership told me it was either a sensor issue or a calibration issue on their new equipment (whatever.) Level dropped another 1/2 quart in 500 miles - I'm very nervous. 1K later my level says it's OK, but I watching it closely - should really buy a dipstick, but I am struggling paying for one. Have also been in conversation about a consumption test, but have not gotten to that point.
If the dealership make the claim that this is normal to me, I will be shopping. IMO, no excuses for having to babysit oil levels when many others out there are just as enjoyable to drive and do not have the issue of such a rapid drop rate.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by audidriver59
should really buy a dipstick, but I am struggling paying for one.
Get over it already and get your self a dipstick for peace of mind!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had a service done on my 2012 A6 3.0. I told the dealer that the oil had decreased half a quart (double checked with dip stick) in less than 1K miles (true). Car only has 15K on it and has never used a drop of oil before. Dealer stated they did first half of consumption check which included replacing a bunch of parts; tubes, trim, repair kit, seal ring, and gaskets. I looked up the "repair kit" part number and that's all the locator lists, I don't know what is included in the kit. The technician mentioned a pressure regulator. Hopefully the parts replaced will fix the issue. I will know more in a month or so. Going to be putting a few thousand miles on the car in a very short time.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
Here's a link for you. Most of us with the 3.0T engine go 10,000 miles between changes without adding oil. But a few, probably with engines built on Monday morning, 😤 have significant oil Useage. It seems that Audi claims anything more than 2,000 miles/quart is acceptable.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...12-a6-2840464/
Thanks for the link, good info in there! 2000 miles/quart is still ridiculous to me..

Originally Posted by 2008A6
It's a known issue on these cars that they can fix...i can't recall the part that they changed but i think some oil regulator valve or something. I had mine updated along with the updated thermostat as a preventative measure.
Is there a TSB for the updated thermostat? Or can you link me to the thread talking about it? Thanks.

Edit: NVM, found the thread. My VIN didnt pull up as part of the recall though, wonder if they'll look into it anyway.

Originally Posted by audidriver59
As long as you're doing a consumption test, you should highly recommend they send the oil samples in for examination... it's not been made clear to me they got that extra step.
Mine... 2015 3.0T - I had my 5K service done, no issues. Then at 7.5K got the oil warning. Dealership told me it was either a sensor issue or a calibration issue on their new equipment (whatever.) Level dropped another 1/2 quart in 500 miles - I'm very nervous. 1K later my level says it's OK, but I watching it closely - should really buy a dipstick, but I am struggling paying for one. Have also been in conversation about a consumption test, but have not gotten to that point.
If the dealership make the claim that this is normal to me, I will be shopping. IMO, no excuses for having to babysit oil levels when many others out there are just as enjoyable to drive and do not have the issue of such a rapid drop rate.
Exactly how I feel. I've been babysitting for the past 8k miles. It's getting annoying actually. I'll make sure to ask about the oil being sent in for examination, is that supposed to be a part of the test that you cant verify they did? or something extra you're asking them to do?

Last edited by Taktix1; 04-28-2015 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Taktix1
Is there a TSB for the updated thermostat? Or can you link me to the thread talking about it? Thanks.

Edit: NVM, found the thread. My VIN didnt pull up as part of the recall though, wonder if they'll look into it anyway.
Is your car included in the fuel rail recall? If so, they'll likely replace the thermostat as part of that recall service.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I edited the post above but yeah, my VIN didnt pull up for the fuel leak recall.
Old 04-30-2015, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car went in at 8AM. Was told it should take either all day today or into tomorrow before I can pick the car up and start the "test" phase.

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption