Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil level

Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2016 3.0T here and got my this dipstick
Audi, VW Oil Dipstick (3.0T, 3.2L) 06E115611H by Genuine OEM | Europa Parts
I leave mine in
Old 09-01-2015, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
For all that are getting dipsticks installed, do you leave them in installed or only do it when checking oil?

it is all plastic i wonder if it will deteriorate and crumble over time from the engine heat.
It's just like any other standard metal dipstick. Stick it and leave it.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

The new TT with the 2.0 220 hp engine comes from the factory with a dipstick. Given that this model is supposed to one of Audi’s technology showcase vehicles (virtual cockpit for one thing) I wonder why they went with the old school dipstick. I suspect they feel a TT owner will be more likely than an A6 owner to be going under the hood and checking things out. Also, perhaps they anticipate more of a “pedal to the metal” driving style for TT owners, meaning more oil consumption and the need to really know what is going on. In any event, interesting. I actually prefer a dipstick, so I am not saying this is bad.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wish I had known about the fact that using a dipstick results in the MMI not showing Oil info unless the engine is warm and car is off and one waits a couple minutes! So, when going on a trip I either take out the dipstick or get under the hood. Another Teutonic PITA irritation having it be either/or rather than both.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hotlips
Wish I had known about the fact that using a dipstick results in the MMI not showing Oil info unless the engine is warm and car is off and one waits a couple minutes! So, when going on a trip I either take out the dipstick or get under the hood. Another Teutonic PITA irritation having it be either/or rather than both.
That's interesting. I have a /15 3.0T and installed the dipstick. I leave it in (except of course when checking the oil -- LOL). I did check oil level via MMI with it in (warm and off for minute or two) -- indeed MMI worked. Maybe MMI just does not work at all unless car is warm and has been off for couple minutes under all circumstances? In any event, I prefer the dipstick to any other mode of assessment so I am happy to just leave it in place.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealer said the dipstick is metal, but to me the rod and everything seems plastic.
I am still a bit reluctant to leave it in as it gets hot, it is evident when i pull in the garage and the garage temp increases by atleast 5 degrees (it is not a small garage either).
Old 09-09-2015, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
Dealer said the dipstick is metal, but to me the rod and everything seems plastic.
I am still a bit reluctant to leave it in as it gets hot, it is evident when i pull in the garage and the garage temp increases by atleast 5 degrees (it is not a small garage either).
Mine has been sitting in my A6 tube for three years and has not melted. Before that the same one was in my A4 3.2 for four years. No meting there either. That's a total of 7 years of no melting. Which leaves the question, why would Audi make a dipstick that would hurt your pipes?
Old 09-09-2015, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Would it help you folks if we stopped calling things "plastic" and used "structural polymer" instead. There are many things that make up a modern engine that are not metal. The materials are selected based upon fitness for function, weight, and cost. Both my Audi and Porsche use oil level measuring systems are set up to measure the oil at operating temperature, at idle, with time given to let oil drain back to the sump.

Back in the good old days when I was a development engineer for the big yellow tractor co., our diesels used a long metal blade for the dipstick. On one side of the blade were marks for cold oil, and the other side had marks for oil at operating temperature. The cold side was used to determine if the oil was a safe level for starting the engine. I often wondered why car manufacturers didn't use the same design. They probably concluded that most drivers have a hard enough time with a simpler dipstick.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by last911
Would it help you folks if we stopped calling things "plastic" and used "structural polymer" instead. There are many things that make up a modern engine that are not metal. The materials are selected based upon fitness for function, weight, and cost. Both my Audi and Porsche use oil level measuring systems are set up to measure the oil at operating temperature, at idle, with time given to let oil drain back to the sump.

Back in the good old days when I was a development engineer for the big yellow tractor co., our diesels used a long metal blade for the dipstick. On one side of the blade were marks for cold oil, and the other side had marks for oil at operating temperature. The cold side was used to determine if the oil was a safe level for starting the engine. I often wondered why car manufacturers didn't use the same design. They probably concluded that most drivers have a hard enough time with a simpler dipstick.
I have been in the engineering plastics business for over 35 years. Engineering plastics are used because they perform better in many applications than other materials including steel and aluminum. They do tend to be expensive, however, and this is why cars are still largely made from steel, which is cheap. More and more engineering plastics are being used in cars as they reduce weight and, therefore, improve overall performance.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Mine has been sitting in my A6 tube for three years and has not melted. Before that the same one was in my A4 3.2 for four years. No meting there either. That's a total of 7 years of no melting. Which leaves the question, why would Audi make a dipstick that would hurt your pipes?
My bmw had a metal dipstick but handle was plastic, audi one seems fully plastic/structural polymer OR its covered in plastic like material.

What makes you think car manufacturers or any other manufacturers make things to benefit the consumer and not their profit?

My last couple of bmw's had a "plastic" valve cover and it used to crack after 2-4years of use. The valve cover seems to be a higher priority item compared to a dipstick so you can see my dilema. On a positive note the dipstick in the c7 is light as a leaf.

Out of topic comments aside, the whole stick being "plastic" is a bit odd.

Last edited by porksoda; 09-10-2015 at 07:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil level