Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JLochan
OKAY NEW PROBLEM VERY SERIOUS!!!

As a new DIYer I tried doing my first oil change today and it went terribly wrong! I ordered an air power topsider 5060 to vacuum out my oil. After finishing the vacuuming I went to take out the tube that went into the dipstick part and it is not budging. It is completely stuck in the there!! I tried twisting it and pulling it out without yanking of course and still nothing. I've tried putting oil where the tube is to get some lubrication on it to see if it would slide out easier and still nothing. PLEASE HELP!

I hope you got the tube out. If not, try jacking the car up and drop the oil pan. You might be able to see the tube and push it up or pull it down.

C7 A6 TDI Oil Change for the DIY'er
Old 06-18-2016, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by culi
I hope you got the tube out. If not, try jacking the car up and drop the oil pan. You might be able to see the tube and push it up or pull it down.

C7 A6 TDI Oil Change for the DIY'er
No luck on taking the tube out, will be taking the oil pan off tomorrow! I tried looking online for an oil pan gasket and nothing is coming up. Is there a gasket for the oil pan??
Old 06-19-2016, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No luck on taking the tube out, will be taking the oil pan off tomorrow! I tried looking online for an oil pan gasket and nothing is coming up. Is there a gasket for the oil pan??
Before you remove the oil pan, remove the drain plug and try to fish the tube to the drain.

Use something like a piece of insulated, solid copper wire found in 14-2 Romex. Fashion a small hook - about 1/4-3/8" and have a needle nose pliers handy to grab the tube if you manage to get it near the drain hole.

It sounds like the tube snagged on the bottom of the dip stick tube or developed a kink.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
Before you remove the oil pan, remove the drain plug and try to fish the tube to the drain.

Use something like a piece of insulated, solid copper wire found in 14-2 Romex. Fashion a small hook - about 1/4-3/8" and have a needle nose pliers handy to grab the tube if you manage to get it near the drain hole.

It sounds like the tube snagged on the bottom of the dip stick tube or developed a kink.
No luck. Last resort is to drop the oil pan here. After looking at schematics there is an upper and lower oil pan. Has anyone removed their oil pan before and should I be expecting any surprises after taking this off. I also found out that there is no gasket for the oil pan. it is just a silicone sealant.... this just keeps getting better and better. A simple oil change ruined by a dang tube!
Old 06-20-2016, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Yikes......hence I never trust those extractor...didn't know that the dipstick existed in our cars.

you probably want to check and see if the silicon sealant is reusable. I would think you need to clean and reapply when putting the oil pan back in
Old 06-20-2016, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

No luck. Last resort is to drop the oil pan here.
I just remembered something. Dip stick tube are press fit into the block. You might be able to remove the tube.

edit: I just took a look at my 3.0L and the tube appears to be plastic.
The gasket is not reusable. Auto parts stores sell tubes of blue gasket making material.

Last edited by tenspeed; 06-20-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I just remembered something. Dip stick tube are press fit into the block. You might be able to remove the tube.

edit: I just took a look at my 3.0L and the tube appears to be plastic.
The gasket is not reusable. Auto parts stores sell tubes of blue gasket making material.
Sorry tenspeed, for I do not understand what you mean by press fit into the block. I am not too savy with mechanical vocabulary. And for the gasket, I will have to use a silicone type glue to reapply on the oil pan. We'll see how this all goes down. I really hate the fact that this damn tube is stuck.
Old 06-21-2016, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry tenspeed, for I do not understand what you mean by press fit into the block. I am not too savy with mechanical vocabulary.
Press fit means that there is no mechanical means such as a nut to hold the dip stick tube in place. The bottom of the tube slides into the hole in the block. You might be able to remove the dip stick tube instead of dropping the pan.

I couldn't see the bottom of the tube when I looked at my engine. You might be able see get a look (or feel) at it from below.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

What is the pump’s extraction tube made of? I am wondering if the stuck tube can be made smaller by cooling it (ice?) while the dipstick tube is not cooled. Shrink the inner one and expand the outer one. Perhaps the manufacturer of the pump has some insight – I doubt you are the first one this has happened to.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you everyone for you feedback and timely responses! I bare great news! After removing the oil pan ( WHICH WAS A TOTAL B****!!!) I found the tube curled up and kinked at the bottom. I will NOT be using a vacuum pump as the oil drain plug is down there and very easy to get to once the cover for the bottom of the car is removed. Anyways for anyone that plans on removing your oil pan I wish you the most of luck because that thing is not as easy as it looks.

I am also looking to purchase a dip stick for this car so I can check the oil level on it old fashion. Also, after putting 7 quarts of oil into the motor my MMI shows the oil at the middle of min and max. I presume that's where the oil level should be, but I put the max capacity in there I really thought it would be higher than just the middle. ( Again I am not very mechanically inclined )

Again thank you all for the help!

Last edited by JLochan; 06-21-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil recommendations