Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Oil recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Great news indeed! Congrats.
If it were I, this would be the last oil change I did myself, especially given the short intervals you plan between changes. To me it would be worth having an Audi dealer do it since they would be responsible for anything that goes wrong. You have stated you are not mechanically inclined, so why risk it? Also, I would stick with the oil change intervals in the owners/maintenance documents.
Others would know, but maybe the MMI had to be reset after an oil change in order to give a proper reading. Don’t forget the MMI instructions of heating the car to operating and waiting at least three minutes before selecting check oil level (or whatever it says).
Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Great news indeed! Congrats.
If it were I, this would be the last oil change I did myself, especially given the short intervals you plan between changes. To me it would be worth having an Audi dealer do it since they would be responsible for anything that goes wrong. You have stated you are not mechanically inclined, so why risk it? Also, I would stick with the oil change intervals in the owners/maintenance documents.
Others would know, but maybe the MMI had to be reset after an oil change in order to give a proper reading. Don’t forget the MMI instructions of heating the car to operating and waiting at least three minutes before selecting check oil level (or whatever it says).
Thank you sir! And I risked it because I really want to explore new things! And working on this car is just going to expand my knowledge tremundously! Also, I took the car for a good 10 min drive and made sure the engine was all warm before checking the MMI for engine oil readings. I was told that it being in the middle is where it's supposed to be, but I feel like after putting in 7 quarts it should be a little higher Id imagine.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JLochan
Thank you sir! And I risked it because I really want to explore new things! And working on this car is just going to expand my knowledge tremundously! Also, I took the car for a good 10 min drive and made sure the engine was all warm before checking the MMI for engine oil readings. I was told that it being in the middle is where it's supposed to be, but I feel like after putting in 7 quarts it should be a little higher Id imagine.
On my car the oil level graphic gets right up to the top after an oil change.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
On my car the oil level graphic gets right up to the top after an oil change.
Interesting... this is why I want to get a dipstick! I will watch it for the next couple weeks. I can't imagine it would burn through half the oil after 10 mins of driving.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:35 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

3.0T engine oil capacity with filter change is actually 7.2qts
Engine, with filter..........7.2 quarts
So you are 0.2 qts short or 6 ounces short.
Also the MMI reading usually shows a bit low immediately after oil change. Give it some time and check again.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

congrats or just do it the old fashion way from now on.....I looked into those oil extractor at one point (was trying to find a lazy way not to jack up the car) but decided not to since is a good ideal to be underneath the car once in a while just to check other things ie leaks, worn out bushings etc.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
3.0T engine oil capacity with filter change is actually 7.2qts
Engine, with filter..........7.2 quarts
So you are 0.2 qts short or 6 ounces short.
Also the MMI reading usually shows a bit low immediately after oil change. Give it some time and check again.
Thank you for this response. I will take a look after a week or two of driving the car to see the the MMI shows the oil level a little higher before adding anything extra in. Also I will be going underneath the car in a couple weeks to check to see if everything was sealed up properly and if there are any leaks that need to be fixed. I do not recommend to anyone for taking off the oilpan cause like I said before that thing is a tough one to get out.

Vodka I am definitely doing it the old fashion way from now on! I am not willing to risk another tube being stuck
Old 06-22-2016, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Just a thought: Rebooting/resetting the MMI can correct a number of issues.
To do this, simultaneously press and hold the Menu button, the big round MMI control **** and the upper right button (to the left of the RADIO button), hold them for a few seconds and release. The MMI reboots/resets itself and this sometimes clears up issues that one may be having.
After the reset/reboot you should check the oil level to see if it is higher. If it does not change, then no harm done.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 151 Likes on 121 Posts

I bought a dipstick from ECS Tuning. It was the first thing I did after I took delivery. Sometimes old school is best. Lack of dipstick/checking oil through computer is an answer to a question no one asked IMHO. Rather disturbing that a 60K car doesn't come with this item. Progress.......not.

Best,
Jeff
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Acuransx
I bought a dipstick from ECS Tuning. It was the first thing I did after I took delivery. Sometimes old school is best. Lack of dipstick/checking oil through computer is an answer to a question no one asked IMHO. Rather disturbing that a 60K car doesn't come with this item. Progress.......not.

Best,
Jeff
The computer monitors gas, water, oil temp, tire pressures, timing, intake air flow together with hundreds of other items but you don't think it can monitor oil level?
Dipsticks are a thing of the past, save yours because the next generation will never know what one is until you post a picture of it on social media or find one in a museum next to a crank handle, a carburetor and a halogen bulb.

Quick Reply: Oil recommendations